Prospect Info: Hunter Skinner, RD, 4th round, 112nd overall, 2019

Blueshirts1994

Jun 30, 2011
On the draft recap on the rangers website, it says that he could either play for lincoln or the ohl. london own his rights and with boqvist, keane and bouchard all going to the nhl/ahl presumably, he could play top 4 minutes for them right away and i think gerard keane joey's little brother and alec regula are the only returning rhd on their roster

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
9VBV8QI.jpg

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I did some more digging on this kid because there doesn’t seem to be much out there and I found this short write up:

Skinner registered 24 points (5-19-24) in 52 games this season including 13 points (2-11-13) since joining Lincoln from the Muskegon Lumberjacks (3-8-11, 24 games) midway through the season. The Western Michigan University commit registered a four-game point streak (1-3-4) in January, starting with an assist against his former team as the Stars fell 6-4 to the Lumberjacks. With Muskegon, the Brighton, Mich. native registered six points (1-5-6) in a nine-game stretch from October 1 to November 12, including four points in five games.

The former Belle Tire defenseman was named runner-up for “Best Shot, Defense” among the American Draft Class according to McKeen’s Hockey 2019 NHL Draft Guide. Skinner represented the Lumberjacks at the 2019 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game and was ranked a C skater on the NHL Central Scouting Preliminary list on October 1 before earning a B ranking on the Players to Watch List on November 12.
Draft Preview - Lincoln Stars: HUNTER SKINNER, SAMUEL HLAVAJ

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I think our US scouting team probably deserves some benefit of the doubt with Skinner (and with Jones). Since 2008 they've drafted 13 prospects. All 7 that were drafted before 2014 have played games in the NHL, including Stepan, Kreider, Miller, and Skjei, who became top of the roster players. That's an absurd hit rate considering that only half the players who get drafted in the first round turn into NHL regulars.

The remaining 6 are K'Andre Miller, who looks like a great pick and will almost certainly play in the NHL, Ryan Mantha, who had an excellent OHL career and still might make the NHL, Tyler Nanne, who experienced significant health issues, and Skinner, Jones, and Hughes, who are too early to make a judgment on.

In aggregate, out of 13 picks, it seems to me like you've got 5 that were excellent, 4 that were ok, and only one that was bad (potentially in part because of unlucky health issues) and 3 that are too early to judge. On top of that, they probably deserve some credit for the McDonagh trade. It seems to me like our US scouts have an excellent track record and our bias should probably be to get excited when they feel strongly enough about a prospect to get him drafted.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think our US scouting team probably deserves some benefit of the doubt with Skinner (and with Jones). Since 2008 they've drafted 13 prospects. All 7 that were drafted before 2014 have played games in the NHL, including Stepan, Kreider, Miller, and Skjei, who became top of the roster players. That's an absurd hit rate considering that only half the players who get drafted in the first round turn into NHL regulars.

The remaining 6 are K'Andre Miller, who looks like a great pick and will almost certainly play in the NHL, Ryan Mantha, who had an excellent OHL career and still might make the NHL, Tyler Nanne, who experienced significant health issues, and Skinner, Jones, and Hughes, who are too early to make a judgment on.

In aggregate, out of 13 picks, it seems to me like you've got 5 that were excellent, 4 that were ok, and only one that was bad (potentially in part because of unlucky health issues) and 3 that are too early to judge. On top of that, they probably deserve some credit for the McDonagh trade. It seems to me like our US scouts have an excellent track record and our bias should probably be to get excited when they feel strongly enough about a prospect to get him drafted.
Great post. Just wanted to mention Mantha had a freak thing happen in a game where he basically developed a blood clot in his eye. It caused tissue to die and now he has a substantial degree of blindness. He might not ever play again.

Reactions: egelband and pblawr

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We've had some decent results from long-play 4 year NCAA guys (Hagelin, Nieves, you could argue Fogarty has done OK as an AHLer, and eventually Barron)

Noticing a trend of it continuing with guys like Hughes, Skinner, Ciccollini, and Jones who are all either NCAA bound in 2019 or 2020.

The less well scouted a league is that we draw a late pick from the better I feel about it. The Canadian Juniors and freshman in the NCAA are pretty well scouted, high school, USHL, and BCHL players maybe get less attention.

Reactions: egelband and pblawr

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
The less well scouted a league is that we draw a late pick from the better I feel about it. The Canadian Juniors and freshman in the NCAA are pretty well scouted, high school, USHL, and BCHL players maybe get less attention.

I think that's a really good point. The odds of some guy in the OHL being an NHL player and 30 other teams missing him 3+ times seem pretty low to me. Personally, in the later rounds I'm generally happier seeing the Rangers pick some guy I've never heard of than someone who every team has studied closely and didn't find worth drafting.

I've also noticed a trend of the Rangers picking guys whose development has limited in some way, whether it's Miller and Skinner only recently transitioning from Forward to D, Jones being the first player drafted from Virginia (or something along those lines), and Henriksson being a great soccer player who only recently decided to focus on hockey.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Signed with The London Knights in the OHL

KNIGHTS SIGN TRIO – London Knights

Very happy about this since he would have had to wait another whole year to even play in the NCAA. Much rather the OHL than the USHL.

Not to mention, but London churns out good players, and good defenders. Does anyone know if this changes when we have to sign him by? Assuming he has the 2 year window instead of the 4 year?

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad