Prospect Info: Hunter Skinner, RD, 4th round, 112nd overall, 2019

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This one is for @nyr2k2

Interesting story coming up about Skinner. A long-shot prospect and widely regarded the "worst pick in the 2019 draft" by the Rangers, but he may surprise us all

VoGjyFz.png
That's cool, I get the allure of Dale Hunter and London (especially for a defenseman). Still, Andy Murray is a good coach and I think for someone who is already physically mature, college is a better options the the CHL. It is what it is, though.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
That's cool, I get the allure of Dale Hunter and London (especially for a defenseman). Still, Andy Murray is a good coach and I think for someone who is already physically mature, college is a better options the the CHL. It is what it is, though.

at the time of the decision I thought college would be better mainly because skinner seemed to be more of a long term, project pick and I liked the idea of letting him 'bake' for 4 years in college before signing him vs needing to sign him after 2 years. but he ended up in a good situation I think so no biggie

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
at the time of the decision I thought college would be better mainly because skinner seemed to be more of a long term, project pick and I liked the idea of letting him 'bake' for 4 years in college before signing him vs needing to sign him after 2 years. but he ended up in a good situation I think so no biggie
We'll see. He had a great start to his season and then it was "eh" in the second half. He'll be 19 all season so hopefully he shows.

Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Skinner's a good prospect. I laud the move to London. That's a top notch program over there, and they teach guys how to be pros. Best program in all of junior hockey imo.

Back to back years that the Rangers had a RHD in that program. Keane looks like he transitioned to the pros alright. He played behind Bouchard and Boqvist, both top 10 picks. This year Skinner was behind Merkley and Regula.

He'll have a good shot to move up the line up. Last time the Rangers were attached to another RHD in London was a guy by the name of Dan Girardi.

It's a damn good program that turns boys into men, and runs a pro style system.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Skinner's a good prospect. I laud the move to London. That's a top notch program over there, and they teach guys how to be pros. Best program in all of junior hockey imo.

Back to back years that the Rangers had a RHD in that program. Keane looks like he transitioned to the pros alright. He played behind Bouchard and Boqvist, both top 10 picks. This year Skinner was behind Merkley and Regula.

He'll have a good shot to move up the line up. Last time the Rangers were attached to another RHD in London was a guy by the name of Dan Girardi.

It's a damn good program that turns boys into men, and runs a pro style system.

It is a program Brandon Crawley was with for 3 years as well. Crawley told me a lot about the philosophy they promote in London, the way they treat everyone the same way, explain that each role is important. Crawley won the Memorial Cup with them. The London Knights program is probably the best in the entire CHL and everyone I talk to is raving about the Hunters

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Probably not, but maybe? USA is light on RHD so he has a small opening. This is just the summer showcase, though, and about half of the guys that come to this don't make the WJC team. It will also hurt him if they can't play any games.

Also, last year's USA squad had four guys picked in the third (including Zac Jones), two guys picked in the fourth, and one guy in the fifth. So a guy like Skinner, who will also be older than a lot of guys, wouldn't be a total stunner.

I still doubt he makes it, but let's hope he does.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just added to team USA’s select camp roster
Just as additional context this is due to three players from BU not being able to participate due to Covid stuff. Alex Vlasic was the D that dropped out. It still seems really unlikely Skinner makes it--they added Tyler Kleven who is very similar to Vlasic. Still good experience even if he doesn't make the cut.

Berard's chances are also boosted. Particularly given that a forward, Mastrosimone, is one of the players out yet they did not add a replacement.

Reactions: Barnaby

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Just as additional context this is due to three players from BU not being able to participate due to Covid stuff. Alex Vlasic was the D that dropped out. It still seems really unlikely Skinner makes it--they added Tyler Kleven who is very similar to Vlasic. Still good experience even if he doesn't make the cut.

Berard's chances are also boosted. Particularly given that a forward, Mastrosimone, is one of the players out yet they did not add a replacement.
I hope he makes it. He’s got just the right mobility and just the right amount of nasty in his game to be a cheap 5-6 D on a good team for a long time. If he ever makes the big show, he’s a guy that won’t break the bank but will be reliable and give his all on every shift.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

That's a bit of a pickle for Alex, isn't it?

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Despite what the NYR tweet says, I suspect he may return to OHL if/when they resume ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad