Hunter Shinkaruk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alflives*

another goal and assist today up to 16 goals on the season now

This is really nice to see. He's starting to produce offence, while being responsible on the d side of the puck. That's a fast learner. I bet he's not thinking about d, and just playing the right way now, so his natural skills are coming out. It sounds like we have another player!

Does he have any bite to his game?

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
:laugh:

Why are people surprised that a 20 year old rookie playing in his first professional season is improving? The people who were harping on him earlier were really grasping at straws.

He's had an average season with an expected development curve. The first season was always irrelevant. We should be more worried at how he comes back next year after an entire offseason to work on different things.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
This is really nice to see. He's starting to produce offence, while being responsible on the d side of the puck. That's a fast learner. I bet he's not thinking about d, and just playing the right way now, so his natural skills are coming out. It sounds like we have another player!

Does he have any bite to his game?

Shinkaruk doesn't really have a bite to his game.

Kid has some insane hands though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUrCCPrr2Rg

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
We're all just shooting in the dark here.

It's not good to be reactionary. Like, it's not good to assume Shinkaruk was immediately a bust but it's not good to be smug about him seemingly turning a corner. I did this last year with Jensen and regret it. Let things unfold as they will.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

It's not good to be reactionary. Like, it's not good to assume Shinkaruk was immediately a bust but it's not good to be smug about him seemingly turning a corner. I did this last year with Jensen and regret it. Let things unfold as they will.

Yea, just be pleased that Shinkaruk is showing progress at the end of this season so that we can go into the off-season on that note, rather than feeling more disappointed overall (cough - Virtanen). Nobody should be calling him a bust or a sure thing. He's a prospect.

.... Jensen is a bust, though :sarcasm:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

The thing is that nobody called him a bust, posters just stressed that Shinkaruk really needed a strong second half of the year or the odds of him becoming an impact NHLer would be super low. Shinkaruk seems to be doing exactly what I hoped he would do after his terribad start to the year.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
The thing is that nobody called him a bust, posters just stressed that Shinkaruk really needed a strong second half of the year or the odds of him becoming an impact NHLer would be super low. Shinkaruk seems to be doing exactly what I hoped he would do after his terribad start to the year.

Yea exactly. And no one can blame him for that start because of what was happening with him coming into the year.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Someone made a post earlier this season about Shink's injury. Basically said it was the worst type of injury for Shink's skillset as a player. All the speed and agility that make him as a player got taken away, and have been slowly returning during the 2nd half of the season.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
by the end of the season he really needed to be a player capable of doing about .7 to .8 ppg. in my mind, if he did that over the season, that's a very good, and conclusive sample

doing slightly better over the last 20 games of the season is also a possible indication of being the player i wanted him to be, but the sample is not as good. its a lot better than nothing and im more hopeful than i was

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
pfft, jamie benn played this season with a hip injury and won the art ross. YOUR MOVE HUNTER

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
by the end of the season he really needed to be a player capable of doing about .7 to .8 ppg. in my mind, if he did that over the season, that's a very good, and conclusive sample

So you'd be OK with it if he scored at that pace for most of the season from what I'm reading.

The 20th leading scorer in the AHL this year is scoring a 0.75 PPG pace. So he needed to be a top 20 scorer in his rookie season? Seems a little aggressive in the expectation department.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
So you'd be OK with it if he scored at that pace for most of the season from what I'm reading.

The 20th leading scorer in the AHL this year is scoring a 0.75 PPG pace. So he needed to be a top 20 scorer in his rookie season? Seems a little aggressive in the expectation department.

the 20th leading scorer isn't really useful in the AHL because a lot of players better than .75 PPG don't stay in the league long enough to compete with him. what is the list of paces in the AHL?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...AHL&sort=&leagueteam=&nation=&name=&order=PPG

taking out anyone with single digit games, there are 70 players with that pace. i think that's a reasonable expectation.

again: he needs to be a player capable of that production. if he had a .5 but played well and had some bad luck, or had a .5 but was dominant at the end of the season with noticeable improvement in his play, both of those are fine too! a full season of .75 is just the best sample. there are other ways to get there

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The way I look at it is Shinkaruk has now shown he has the ability to use his skill set at the AHL level. He will need to show consistency and the ability to do it over half a season or more before he gets considered for the next level. It's great to see him come on and show a ppt/g pace for 10 games. He now needs to do this for 40+ games.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
the 20th leading scorer isn't really useful in the AHL because a lot of players better than .75 PPG don't stay in the league long enough to compete with him. what is the list of paces in the AHL?

Well, if guys who score at that pace or higher don't last long and are called up (I agree) then it is still an aggressive expectation given he is clearly a guy in need of seasoning and needing to learn the pro game. To make his way into the canucks lineup this season never should have been an expectation.

He is a top 35 rookie scorer in the league. Tied for 15th in goals for rookie scorers (note no rookie has more than 23 goals right now...and that guy is 23). It hasn't been a lights out season but all signs right now from play on the ice, points, and what his coaches are saying point to a guy who has developed significantly as a player this year.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
It hasn't been a lights out season but all signs right now from play on the ice, points, and what his coaches are saying point to a guy who has developed significantly as a player this year.

yes. im not throwing **** on what he's done so far. its worse than i was hoping for (as a huge shinkaruk fan pre-2015) and better than i expected in december.

as a side note: how the **** do players like nick cousins not get called up?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Going by age is probably a better comparison. Shinkaruk is currently 28th in pts/g among 1994 born players which isn't great, but his play over the last while is encouraging. If he can keep it up there might be something there.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Going by age is probably a better comparison. Shinkaruk is currently 28th in pts/g among 1994 born players which isn't great, but his play over the last while is encouraging. If he can keep it up there might be something there.

We all knew Shinkaruk was likely to struggle to start the year though. That injury he suffered last year is a tough one to come back from right away. In fact, I had this whole year in general as a developmental/write-off year. I'm glad he had a great finish and am excited to see what he can do next season.

Let's see what he does in this year's playoffs. If he has a big playoffs, and a strong offseason he could be a dark horse to take a roster spot on the Canucks next season. If not, then I expect a big year from him in the AHL.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Maybe someone who has followed him more closely this year can answer this question...
How much of his lack of production over the first 80% of the season had to do with utilization? How much TOI and PP time did he get over the course of the year. Seems a few of his goals recently have been on the powerplay.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Concern over his play through most of the season was justified. It's hard to determine just how much the injury was a factor.

I'm encouraged that he's shown late season progress, but I want to see him pick up where he left off next year. People were giving Jensen a shot at making the big club after he heated up at the end of last season in the AHL. We all know how that turned out.

I realize they're different ages, different players. I just want to see this kind of production over a much larger stretch of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan