Hunter Shinkaruk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTL

Mar 7, 2015
This Kid is still a long shot. Nice to see he's finally picking it up with the comets though.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Ha, Shirokov was a demi-God on this board.

Rodin I'm not sure.

Shirokov has 34 in 32 games in khl which is pretty decent considering kovalchuk has 55 in 54 about same ppg not saying same calbire of course but I think shirkov would be decent in the nhl

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Shirokov has 34 in 32 games in khl which is pretty decent considering kovalchuk has 55 in 54 about same ppg not saying same calbire of course but I think shirkov would be decent in the nhl

Good KHL player, but that was true before he came to North America as well.

His production in the AHL at age 23-25 was worse than Schroeder's.

Shinkaruk's production is fairly similar to Schroeder's at the same age, although at least he generates more shots and has the excuse of trying to make a big jump coming off a lost season/

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Good KHL player, but that was true before he came to North America as well.

His production in the AHL at age 23-25 was worse than Schroeder's.

Shinkaruk's production is fairly similar to Schroeder's at the same age, although at least he generates more shots and has the excuse of trying to make a big jump coming off a lost season/

Didn't Schroeder have his fair share of injuries, too?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
If he's not close to a point/game next year, he's a bust and has no trade value at the deadline, and we're just waiting out the rest of his contract at that point.

Wish we could have moved him in the Baertschi deal instead of the #2 pick.

I hope he makes you eat crow.

Got to hope him picking up his production in the last week or so is not a flash in a pan.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I hope he makes you eat crow.

Got to hope him picking up his production in the last week or so is not a flash in a pan.

Hopefully. Its impossible to say at this point whether he has actually improved or is just on a hot streak. Time will tell.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Scored an abosuletly sick goal, kid has so much skill. Would be so dumb to give up on him this early

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Scored an abosuletly sick goal, kid has so much skill. Would be so dumb to give up on him this early

Didn't see it, but very nice to hear.

I still feel like Shinkaruk has the potential to be a top-6 NHL winger. He's just had about the most rotten draw you could get in terms of his age/transition to pro/physical size/injury combination.

His determination and talent at the junior level, that doesn't just evaporate. He's not a quitter, and he still has a ton of talent in there somewhere.

But he really has had a horrendous confluence of events. A guy whose biggest weakness moving forward was always going to be "needs to add strength"...can't add strength moving up a level because he's just trying to get back to where he was pre-draft, pre-injury in terms of rehab. For a guy who built his game around skating and even more than that, the hip flexibility to play that close in agility game...i can absolutely see a hip injury being a huge stumbling block. His game was never about outright speed, it was about that spectacular in close agility...and it was all hips, like a figure skater - or Jeff Skinner.

It's not "Excuses". He needs to come back next year with the offseason he should have been able to have last year, building a ton of strength and power, getting that skating back to where it was. If he can do that though, i still have high hopes for Shinkaruk next year in the AHL.

It's just like the ultimate blow to a prospect like Shinkaruk, with his weaknesses in the draft...to suffer the specific injury he did, with his birthday pushing him to the Pros. I really hope he can rebound from that, because he was a heck of a player to watch in the Dub.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Didn't see it, but very nice to hear.

I still feel like Shinkaruk has the potential to be a top-6 NHL winger. He's just had about the most rotten draw you could get in terms of his age/transition to pro/physical size/injury combination.

His determination and talent at the junior level, that doesn't just evaporate. He's not a quitter, and he still has a ton of talent in there somewhere.

But he really has had a horrendous confluence of events. A guy whose biggest weakness moving forward was always going to be "needs to add strength"...can't add strength moving up a level because he's just trying to get back to where he was pre-draft, pre-injury in terms of rehab. For a guy who built his game around skating and even more than that, the hip flexibility to play that close in agility game...i can absolutely see a hip injury being a huge stumbling block. His game was never about outright speed, it was about that spectacular in close agility...and it was all hips, like a figure skater - or Jeff Skinner.

It's not "Excuses". He needs to come back next year with the offseason he should have been able to have last year, building a ton of strength and power, getting that skating back to where it was. If he can do that though, i still have high hopes for Shinkaruk next year in the AHL.

It's just like the ultimate blow to a prospect like Shinkaruk, with his weaknesses in the draft...to suffer the specific injury he did, with his birthday pushing him to the Pros. I really hope he can rebound from that, because he was a heck of a player to watch in the Dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfLF4M6Tad8

@6 minutes.

Green talks about Shinkaruks development. Green specifically says Shinkaruk IS getting stronger.

Good sign IMO!

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
5th on the team in goals. Not bad for a guy who missed most of last year with a serious hip injury.

still about 9 games to go in his season , if he continues his streak , could end up top 3 on his team. He's at 13 right now , hoping he get's 15-17.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
He's not a quitter...

It's not "Excuses"...

Those two points are important. Take into consideration the profile video where Hunter's bantam coach talks about how he put himself on a diet regimen in his early teenage years. What were the rest of us doing at age 13? That kind of attitude is what has gotten him to where he is today. He's really loose and he's a goofball but the furthest thing from a quitter and is the last guy on the team to come up with an excuse for a lousy performance.

I'm a champion :)

Last edited:

BTL

Mar 7, 2015
As I said before he's a long shot, but his potential upside is so high that as risky as it is, it out weighs what ever trade value he may have right now. I want to see him in another camp and another season in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad