Hunter Shinkaruk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
As I said before he's a long shot, but his potential upside is so high that as risky as it is, it out weighs what ever trade value he may have right now. I want to see him in another camp and another season in the AHL.

I'm not even so sure it's a long shot. This sudden hot spell may cool down, but he's shown what he can do at the AHL level, a solid glimpse, not smoke and mirrors. With a strong summer of training, he very likely could come into main camp and then the Comets with a lot more strength and confidence.

Those are the keys, strength and confidence. He already has the drive and energy to succeed. The Comets are getting younger and more talented, and his pals Hutton, Subban, and Cassels will be there to help feed him the puck. I think the setting looks good for Shink to shine.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I could see Shinkaruk getting 9 games next season. If he continues to play the way he's playing. He doesn't even need to score. Hunter's overall game has improved.

Realistically I can see being a go-to call up if there are injuries at wing next season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!...will the Comets be interesting to watch next year....Shinkaruk picking it up....throw in Hutton, Cassels and Subban into the mix...still hoping for some upside from Gaunce-Jensen.....looking good for all those Comet fans and posters.:handclap:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Shinkaruk is all of a sudden is having a decent rookie campaign in the AHL as a 20 year old.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I could see Shinkaruk getting 9 games next season. If he continues to play the way he's playing. He doesn't even need to score. Hunter's overall game has improved.

Realistically I can see being a go-to call up if there are injuries at wing next season.

The 9 game threshold is for CHL players who aren't yet eligible to play in the AHL.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The 9 game threshold is for CHL players who aren't yet eligible to play in the AHL.

no, the 9 game threshhold is for under-20 players that sign before a specific date! im being pedantic but its an important difference :p:

vvv noooooooooooooooooo

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

9 games then back to Medicine Hat that bum!

sirwilliam

Assume it's sarcasm
Nov 29, 2006
Victoria
Since he hasn't scored much until now it's been easy to forget how good, quick and accurate his shot is. Possibly the best in our prospect pool.

Alflives*

Maybe his drop off in production ealier this season was a consequence (not so much from the surger) of learning the D side of the puck, and now he's not thinking so much, he's just playing?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
A lot was made about the fact that Hunter Shinkaruk was a healthy scratch for the game back on March 11 in Chicago.

Since that game the Comets have played 8 games and all have been wins. In those 8 games since being scratched Shink has 6 goals, 1 assist and is a +8.

For comparison purposes in the 8 games prior to being scratched the Comets were 3 W – 5 L and Shink had 1 goal, 0 assists and was a -3.

A better judge of the character of a player is how they handle adversity rather than success. The little nudge of adversity that Travis Green gave Hunter Shinkaruk back on March 11 has shown that he was determined to succeed rather than sulk about being scratched. Good on Hunter for the way he responded.

arsmaster*

A lot was made about the fact that Hunter Shinkaruk was a healthy scratch for the game back on March 11 in Chicago.

Since that game the Comets have played 8 games and all have been wins. In those 8 games since being scratched Shink has 6 goals, 1 assist and is a +8.

For comparison purposes in the 8 games prior to being scratched the Comets were 3 W – 5 L and Shink had 1 goal, 0 assists and was a -3.

A better judge of the character of a player is how they handle adversity rather than success. The little nudge of adversity that Travis Green gave Hunter Shinkaruk back on March 11 has shown that he was determined to succeed rather than sulk about being scratched. Good on Hunter for the way he responded.

We know Hunter is a competitive little cuss, I'm wondering how the acquisition of Baertschi plays into it.

Obviously as a whole the Comets have better talent than before the Baertschi and Conacher trades, but I'm wondering if A) a little fire was set inside of him and B) he's seeing guys of his similar size and skill in practice and he's learning what it takes to be a consistent threat whilst also being dependable.

I just hope this isn't a Jensen like 2nd half surge, and it's more like a kid who's figuring it out.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
c:/documents and settings/really hilarious gifs folder/ever funnier gifs/Comical-Doctor-Looks-Up-Wide-Eyes-Says-WEHAVEAHEARTBEAT-LOL.gif

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
We know Hunter is a competitive little cuss, I'm wondering how the acquisition of Baertschi plays into it.

Obviously as a whole the Comets have better talent than before the Baertschi and Conacher trades, but I'm wondering if A) a little fire was set inside of him and B) he's seeing guys of his similar size and skill in practice and he's learning what it takes to be a consistent threat whilst also being dependable.

I just hope this isn't a Jensen like 2nd half surge, and it's more like a kid who's figuring it out.

The addition of Baertschi and Conacher has helped the entire team including Hunter. The immediate impact is that it changed the line combinations. Friesen is centering Baertschi and Conacher and that line has been terrific. Since the scratch Shink has been on a line with O'Reilly and Grenier which undoubtedly increased Hunter's offensive opportunities and he has converted on them.

Travis Green takes some heat on here for how he uses Vancouver's high end prospects but I think you guys are very lucky to have him down here on the farm. Green has a process for developing guys into complete players rather than just inserting them into top line positions before they have learned how to be professional hockey players. Sure it limits their offensive numbers early on but more and more ice time and responsibility is given to them as they show they are ready for it.

Hunter Shinkarek has risen to the occasion with a better set of forwards in the lineup. Nick Jensen has been put into a different role with the addition of Baertschi and Conacher and again it may be for his long term benefit. Jensen has just simply not been scoring at a rate to justify top line minutes and it has always been thought that he can only make the NHL as a goal scorer. Jensen has been on the so called fourth line with Gaunce (Green rolls four lines so they still get plenty of ice time) but this line is chartered to forecheck and work the walls with high intensity. This is not a skill set Jensen displayed much of prior to being placed on this line. He has responded well and is becoming more effective on the forecheck as a power forward. In the long run having this in his toolbox might give Nick Jensen an opportunity to play a similar role in Vancouver and if he provides some offense from that fourth line he should get an opportunity to move up in the lineup. Much like the eventual plan for Bo Hoorvat.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Only 1 assist? It looks like he's has low hockey IQ!

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
c:/documents and settings/really hilarious gifs folder/ever funnier gifs/Comical-Doctor-Looks-Up-Wide-Eyes-Says-WEHAVEAHEARTBEAT-LOL.gif

you have a sub folder (really hilarious gifs) inside your sub folder (ever funnier gifs) for your gifs.

Sir, you are organized.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
you have a sub folder (really hilarious gifs) inside your sub folder (ever funnier gifs) for your gifs.

Sir, you are organized.

The first are funny, the second are timeless and become ever funnier (with each subsequent viewing).*

*In the mystery universe where that was a real sub-path into a directory and I didn't just accidentally misspell "even" in the midst of making an over-complicated joke.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The first are funny, the second are timeless and become ever funnier (with each subsequent viewing).*

*In the mystery universe where that was a real sub-path into a directory and I didn't just accidentally misspell "even" in the midst of making an over-complicated joke.

I knew it, there was no such gif. :(

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Decided to re-post this here. Shinkaruk's having himself a very good last stretch of the season.

http://theahl.com/stats/gamebygame.php?id=5654

6 goals (18pts) from October to February. 54 GP 0.34PPG 0.11GPG

7 goals (9pts) from March to April. 16 GP 0.56PPG 0.44GPG

I have a good feeling that Shink's stats are going to jump substantially next year now he's adjusted to the size and speed of a men's game. Especially if he gets a little stronger during the off-season as one would expect.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Decided to re-post this here. Shinkaruk's having himself a very good last stretch of the season.

http://theahl.com/stats/gamebygame.php?id=5654

6 goals (18pts) from October to February. 54 GP 0.34PPG 0.11GPG

7 goals (9pts) from March to April. 16 GP 0.56PPG 0.44GPG

Very encouraging, although 9 points in 16 games during your hottest streak is still kinda low.

Next year, obviously, is going to be huge for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad