Humble Pie Requirements for Brady Tkachuk's NHL Performance

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Very reasonable. So a more offensive version of David Backes or a bigger and nastier version of Jonathan Toews. And if he someone becomes exactly like Keith Tkachuk you would be ecstatic?
Those guys have played center most of their career, not really comparable. His ceiling is more like a slightly less skilled and physical TJ Oshie.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Pretty easy to win an argument if you completely frame the other person's position as something different.

My argument is he's a bad pick at 4. Show me you're worthy of being selected over those other guys I like more from 2018 and 2019.

Do whatever you want, if he scores 50 points and is deemed an acceptable top 6 guy go ahead and plan your parade. I still won't be wrong. I've said in the past that's about his ceiling.

I have not framed your argument falsely in anyway "At least we know who our 3rd line LW will be for the next 5 years" - You have been countlessly adamant about Tkachuk being a 3rd liner/bust/Crouse Lazar Neil pick..ect.

You will absolutely be wrong if he is a legit top 6 talent

If hes not - you will absolutely be right. You have trashed on him relentlessly its unavoidable lol

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I have not framed your argument falsely in anyway "At least we know who our 3rd line LW will be for the next 5 years" - You have been countlessly adamant about Tkachuk being a 3rd liner/bust/Crouse Lazar Neil pick..ect

You will absolutely be wrong if he is a legit top 6 talent

If hes not - you will absolutely be right. You have trashed on him relentlessly its unavoidable lol
What a useful discourse.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It surprises me too how character can sometimes be used as if its a mutually exclusive term with skill. How the heck character managed to get to the point where it is denigrated as a valued trait of a hockey player is some strange kind of hockey populism. Of course we want skilled players. Of course even better when they have the character associated with overcoming adversity and succeeding with a team.
It's a Bayesian thing. If you're known for your character, odds are you're not also known for your skill (and vice versa). Of course that's not to say a player can't have both, it's just less likely.

A similar-looking yet different argument: if a player is skilled, people don't need to bring up his character to defend that he's good. When people first bring up a player's character, it feels as if the skill must be lacking or else that's what would have been pointed out first.

And yet another argument: character is associated by some dinosaurs (not you!) to being North American (and Quebec excluded for some reason!), and so the assessment loses all value and credibility in that context.

I've been scarred enough by "character players" coming to Ottawa like Lazar and Burrows and being busts that my spidey senses are on high alert. I don't know enough about Tkachuk to say anything good or bad about him, but I just hope the arguments above don't apply to him.

Reactions: InAbsensia

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Can we not just hope for whoever the Sens draft growing into their potential?

Does being right about who interpreted other people's draft lists better matter that much to some?

Reactions: aragorn

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Oh no, not someone else coming with an "I told you so" take. Man, the media dudes are having a field day already with this even though 99% of the fanbase has admitted that they were wrong for weeks now.

Actually didn't comment in this one, but did enjoy re-reading the draft thread. I think there were 5 posters who liked the drafting of Tkachuk. The question remains though.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'll eat my humble pie.

I was a Zadina fan over Tkachuk, and while a lot can still happen, even if Zadina becomes a better goal-scorer, the dimensions Tkachuk brings are incredible. I'm thrilled to have him on the team.

I think he's got a shot to have a better career than both Dahlin and Svechnikov too.

It's rare to find a combination with his size, hands, skating and willingness to play physical.

Just goes to show you how you shouldn't make judgements on prospects after watching ~5 games, YouTube clips and reading their HockeyDB profiles!

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I think I had Tkachuk at #5 pre-draft and if I were picking knowing what I know now I'd take him #3 (still believe in Svech). Tkachuk has been more than advertised anywhere so far, I'm definitely eating crow about my opinion of giving up the pick at the moment.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
dude is so nasty. I was happy with either Zadina or Tkachuk both are gonna be good imo

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I had him number 3 after Dhalin and Svechnikov. He's a throwback player. Most of the upper echelon draft picks are all about skill nowadays only. Tkatchuk bring nastiness to the table and always finishes checks. You can't teach that in players, either they have it in their persona or they don't.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I didn't have him ranked because I'm not out there watching enough of these guys. Looking at major scouting lists, the pick wasn't all that controversial. It seemed like Zadina and Tkachuk were neck in neck. If we had Tkachuk at 2, that would have been fairly controversial.

I liked the pick at the time based on it being the most interesting one the Sens could have made. They exiled the ghosts of Gary Robert's past while bringing in a kid who had the leadership capability to survive leading the rebuild of this team despite it suffering from being in vicinity to Eugene Melnyk's vortex.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Loved the pick then, love the pick even more now....

FQL eating ‘crow’ yet?

Hahaha, this kid makes watching the Sens worthwhile on his own, let alone Chabot, Stone, and Duchene.

Great pick, could be the best if the draft.

Reactions: aragorn

Handles1919

Jul 27, 2016
ottawa
As usual, I was not wrong. Nice to see everyone else eat crow though.
youre right :laugh:

there are a ton more gems too if you want them
This team is the anti-early 2000's Sens teams. Back then we were always the favorites, and always failed.

We did a halfsie rebuild in 2010 that still left us with Alfie, Gonchar and Spezza as core players, which meant we made the playoffs in 2012 and 2013 under their leadership. 2013-14 was a rough transition year (with Spezza as captain).

But I'd say 2014-15 was the year our current core truly came into being. Spezza was gone. Karlsson was made captain. Stone, Hoffman and Ceci became regulars. Turris stepped up to the 1C role. We went on a historic phenomenal run at the end of the season to make the playoffs despite turbulent coaching (Maclean getting fired & Cameron not being much better). 2015-16 was an aberration due to bad coaching and an insane amount of injuries. Then, of course, this year, with the new coaching staff we made the playoffs despite injuries and leaves of absences. Then put a crazy run on the playoffs and pushed a dynasty-like team to a 2OT Game 7.

That's 2 of 3 years of this core group's existence that they've shown unbelievable veteran-like resilience and clutchiness. Something we've never experienced as Sens fans. The best part? Much of this core is young and just entering their prime. For comparison's sake, to put things in perspective, our only players that are older than Crosby (and Malkin) are:
-Bobby Ryan (only by a few months)
-Marc Methot
-Tom Pyatt
-Viktor Stalberg
-Clarke MacArthur
-Dion Phaneuf
-Craig Anderson
-Alex Burrows

Everybody also talks about us being lucky or fortunate. What's fortunate about us beating the Rangers? They were basically fully healthy. In the last 5 years, the Rangers made the SCF once, ECF twice, 2nd round once and 1st round once. They have more playoffs wins than the Penguins in the last 5 years. And we beat them fair and square.

We're a good team with a solid veteran-like young core entering their prime, and have a truly generational player. This was year 1 of our window opening. **** the non-believers.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad