Humble Pie Requirements for Brady Tkachuk's NHL Performance

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'll gladly eat crow. His game looks very good. His shot is already way better than it looked pre-professional. I always thought he showed good vision and that's showing in his game at the NHL level already.

His skating could still use a lot of work, IMO. Some improved top speed and a substantial improvement in his agility and first step are needed if he wants to keep scoring at this rate, or even improve.

The thing is...watching this kid I'm very confident that he'll make those improvements. He just screams winner to me. Loving the pick thus far.

All that being said, Alexandre Daigle scored 13 points in his first 9 NHL games, so I'm still tempering my expectations. That and Brady has a 20% SHP. Likely to take a dip.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
For all of the critics out there who are so vocal and critical about Tkachuk, what are your humble pie requirements? What does he need to do in the NHL for you to acknowledge that you were wrong about him?

No retaliatory penalties, none.
No fights, none.
Perimeter play increases substantially.
Off the ice charity work at the Royal Ottawa.
Speaks glowingly of Daniel Alfredsson.
Endless admiration for Swedish players.
Really likes Alexei Kovalev's skill level.

Or...
Strip puck from Kadri or Matthews, score top shelf on Andersen, then skate slide celly in front of the Leafs bench, spraying water battle on Babcock.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I knew almost nothing about the players in the draft coming in (other than loving Evan Bouchard based on the videos I saw), but I was simply wary of his soft skills being hyped up almost more than his hockey skills. If he was just a smile on the bench with a great attitude he'd be no different than Lazar, and we all know how that pick went. But he seems to know how he can contribute in a tangible manner, and that's right in front of the net, something we've been needing for literally decades.

I think it's safe to say he's not a bust, and that as long as he stays healthy he'll be a major contributor to the team. But was he the best pick? Ask me again in 5 years. Way too early to know. He can be excellent, but so can Zadina, Bouchard, and many others. Too early to tell.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I'm not sure if I ever posted anything about Tkachuk but I do remember not being excited about the pick at all. I was caught up in the negative whirlwind at the time, though I think I was more pissed about the Sens not even picking in the top 3 than anything specific about Brady.

Glad it's working out well.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Am a sucker for skilled players(zadina) but am also a sucker for grinders with skill, especially after watching them in a sens jersey for several games.

Tkachuk knows where the net is, it takes other players awhile to figure that out. His play along the boards and such has also been great and standing up for his teammates. Other teams players already dislike him.

Reactions: DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Hope he continues to shine offensively, but he's valuable even when not scoring. Came exactly as advertised. Guy will be our captain one day.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We really need a few seasons to see how the draft shakes out.

But hey, the kid has been doing exceptionally well so far.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Now the question asked to be remained

Can he be a Matt Sundin in his prime?
Seriously?

He, like the Sens, is riding an unsustainable shooting %.
Mats Sundin had more skill in his pinky than Tkachuk does in his entire body.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I am waiting for Brady to play the Leafs ; first deak Andersen out of his jock then layout Marner with a big check and finally pulverize Kadri in a fight . I would be in heaven! :laugh:

Reactions: DJB

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I am waiting for Brady to play the Leafs ; first deak Andersen out of his jock then layout Marner with a big check and finally pulverize Kadri in a fight . I would be in heaven! :laugh:

With Toronto having 8 powerplays with at least one 5on3 and we getting lit with 7+ goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad