Post-Game Talk: Huge April win Vs New Jersey, just 3 years too late.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
To be honest, I have come around to thinking the game should just end after 60 minutes.

If it's tied, it's tied.

I used to hate ties when I was younger. Now I hate regular season overtime and shootouts.

You win, you get two points. You tie, you get one. No more three point games.

Agreed. Although I never see this happening. Most Americans seem to hate ties.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Bruins are almost done. Penguins lead Buffalo 1-0 and Tampa leads Boston 1-0.

Boston ties it at 1. Still need a lot of help.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
To be honest, I have come around to thinking the game should just end after 60 minutes.

If it's tied, it's tied.

I used to hate ties when I was younger. Now I hate regular season overtime and shootouts.

You win, you get two points. You tie, you get one. No more three point games.

Well the 3 point games exist from a business standpoint more than a "hockey" standpoint.

It inflates point totals and helps keep more teams in a playoff race down the stretch.

Having said that, I have no problems with overtime OR the shootout, but there are too many shootouts for sure. But you can see teams definitely start playing for the guaranteed point in the 3rd period late which does get annoying.

And teams that are great in the shootout start playing safe in overtime.

My proposition would: you get a point if you lose in the overtime but 0 points if you lose in the shootout.

Then, you get 2 points for winning in overtime, but only 1 point for winning in the shootout. But then you up overtime to maybe 7 minutes.

It forces teams to hopefully open up during overtime since shootouts are less rewarding to not rewarding at all. Keep it at 4 on 4 however.

This also eliminates ROW (which to me is the dumbest tie breaker when it essentially punishes a team for getting to and winning the shootout). First tie-breaker should ALWAYS be head-to-head.

Jan 19, 2006
Well the 3 point games exist from a business standpoint more than a "hockey" standpoint.

It inflates point totals and helps keep more teams in a playoff race down the stretch.

Having said that, I have no problems with overtime OR the shootout, but there are too many shootouts for sure. But you can see teams definitely start playing for the guaranteed point in the 3rd period late which does get annoying.

And teams that are great in the shootout start playing safe in overtime.

My proposition would: you get a point if you lose in the overtime but 0 points if you lose in the shootout.

Then, you get 2 points for winning in overtime, but only 1 point for winning in the shootout. But then you up overtime to maybe 7 minutes.

It forces teams to hopefully open up during overtime since shootouts are less rewarding to not rewarding at all. Keep it at 4 on 4 however.

This also eliminates ROW (which to me is the dumbest tie breaker when it essentially punishes a team for getting to and winning the shootout). First tie-breaker should ALWAYS be head-to-head.

Well if you want to encourage teams to finish and not skate around defending a lead...

No OT/SO.

If a game ends in a tie at the end of 60 minutes - noone gets points.

Tiebreaker for playoffs goes from ROW to fewest losses.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Well if you want to encourage teams to finish and not skate around defending a lead...

No OT/SO.

If a game ends in a tie at the end of 60 minutes - noone gets points.

Tiebreaker for playoffs goes from ROW to fewest losses.

From a hockey stand-point, it makes sense. But at the same time, that would make hockey the only sport that ends with no winner (not including NFL since OTs there happen rarely) so from a business standpoint, its not "good."

I had no problem with ties personally. I am ok with 5 minute over time then both gets 1 point. And loss in OT still gets you one.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
International way is much better. 3 point pool for games. Winner takes all 3 in reg, takes 2 in OT. Loser in OT takes one point.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I feel like I'm listening to a Lindsay, Potvin, Goldie podcast with a game in the background :laugh:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
g65098109.gif

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Gionta kept his arm tucked in, that's holding the stick if anything. Call both or don't call it at all.

Jan 19, 2006
From a hockey stand-point, it makes sense. But at the same time, that would make hockey the only sport that ends with no winner (not including NFL since OTs there happen rarely) so from a business standpoint, its not "good."

I had no problem with ties personally. I am ok with 5 minute over time then both gets 1 point. And loss in OT still gets you one.

I'm not sure how it would be bad for business though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad