Post-Game Talk: Huge April win Vs New Jersey, just 3 years too late.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Nice to win the last game of the season, but a little bittersweet since if we lost we could have drafted 8th instead of 11th.

Cant wait for the draft and next season.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
If Hayes has issues with consistency like this season, it won't take long for Howden to take his place.

Hayes floating and lack of defensive zone effort is Versteeg esque at times.

I think the shift at the end meant the end of his time here.

Also he's already playing on the 4th line, how can he take on a lesser role? He's too good (for a 4th liner) to be sitting in the pressbox on a regular basis, he knows it, Tallon knows it. Time for this team to get younger and move on.

He seemed to take his defensive responsibility more seriously after a couple scratches. He's not Barkov but he did break up a few chances with a hard back check in the later part of the year. What bugged me is he got away from the front of the net where he was successful. He's also weak on the puck for a big guy you watch guys go into a corner with him and they come out with the puck a lot more often then he does. He's a guy I wouldn't cry over if he was part of package for a better player. Dylan Olsen, Jimmy Hayes and a 3rd for Patrick Sharp. :sarcasm:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
While I was perplexed as well regarding Hayes inconsistencies this season, we can't forget the strides he has made since coming here. Last year he was a very awkward skating 4th line player, that we thought going into this year would be a 13th man at times.
A lot of players are similar to Hayes in that they are just inconsistent in the Nhl. It is what it is. Only a small amount of players can play consistently, well, throughout the entire 82 game season. That's the reason why players like Hayes will be regarded as a middle 6 player.
Now he can always improve and work on his flaws. He's not in his early 20s but he could be on a long term developmental curve. Or we can find out he was hurt for the past couple of months, and going in front of the net, and taking that abuse could of hurt him more.
I can easily say his season can be looked at and called a successful one

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I wouldn't mind trading Hayes as part of a package for a top 6 winger.

He did have a good year but I just can't help thinking that this is the best we'll see from him. At almost 26, there are some very obvious flaws still in his game> Average skating, below average passing and hockey IQ. He has a decent shot though and size is obviously his biggest asset.

Some GM's might look at him and still see some upside + him coming of a 20 goal season makes his value as high as it might ever be. Sell high IMO. I don't see him being more than a 3rd liner in this league in the long run.

Jan 19, 2006
He seemed to take his defensive responsibility more seriously after a couple scratches. He's not Barkov but he did break up a few chances with a hard back check in the later part of the year. What bugged me is he got away from the front of the net where he was successful. He's also weak on the puck for a big guy you watch guys go into a corner with him and they come out with the puck a lot more often then he does. He's a guy I wouldn't cry over if he was part of package for a better player. Dylan Olsen, Jimmy Hayes and a 3rd for Patrick Sharp. :sarcasm:

I have nothing but a hunch, but I think Hayes has been nursing an injury most of the year.

The change in his game was too dramatic.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
While I was perplexed as well regarding Hayes inconsistencies this season, we can't forget the strides he has made since coming here. Last year he was a very awkward skating 4th line player, that we thought going into this year would be a 13th man at times.
A lot of players are similar to Hayes in that they are just inconsistent in the Nhl. It is what it is. Only a small amount of players can play consistently, well, throughout the entire 82 game season. That's the reason why players like Hayes will be regarded as a middle 6 player.
Now he can always improve and work on his flaws. He's not in his early 20s but he could be on a long term developmental curve. Or we can find out he was hurt for the past couple of months, and going in front of the net, and taking that abuse could of hurt him more.

Pretty much how I feel. He's a useful forward who has a unique skill set.

Rockaway Rob

Jun 30, 2007
not sure if this was mentioned but during stoppages in play last night, they had videos of players thanking the fans. The first words out of Willie Mitchell's mouth were not thanking the fans but rather "I want to apologize to the fans for not making the playoffs". It is the first time I can remember one of our players saying something like that at the end of the season.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
I have nothing but a hunch, but I think Hayes has been nursing an injury most of the year.

The change in his game was too dramatic.

I was wondering the same thing. He went from spending all his time in front of the net to floating around the half boards and slot. We were right about Bjugstad maybe Hayes was injured as well.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
not sure if this was mentioned but during stoppages in play last night, they had videos of players thanking the fans. The first words out of Willie Mitchell's mouth were not thanking the fans but rather "I want to apologize to the fans for not making the playoffs". It is the first time I can remember one of our players saying something like that at the end of the season.

I remember Weiss doing it one year.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I wouldn't mind trading Hayes as part of a package for a top 6 winger.

He did have a good year but I just can't help thinking that this is the best we'll see from him. At almost 26, there are some very obvious flaws still in his game> Average skating, below average passing and hockey IQ. He has a decent shot though and size is obviously his biggest asset.

Some GM's might look at him and still see some upside + him coming of a 20 goal season makes his value as high as it might ever be. Sell high IMO. I don't see him being more than a 3rd liner in this league in the long run.

Bingo.

It all depends how you replace the guy as well. But, I feel like extending Hayes would be a mistake. The inconsistent efforts scare me. The guy had to get scratched to realize he needs to bring it every night and when he did he scored. I would definitely shop hard despite him being best friends with Billy.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
His lack of scoring wouldn't be as noticeable if he was a better 2-way player, you can still contribute even if you aren't scoring. Hayes looks somewhat disinterested in his own zone and he gets caught way too often trying to leave too early.

It's not a question of effort per say, since he's obviously a speedy player with the speed he has when the team has the puck, but he just won't do that in the defensive zone/backchecking for whatever reason. A mental thing, I guess.

Btw it's not an injury related problem, he was already horrible defensively back when he was still scoring.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
That's great news.

You just know that guy busted his *** to get here.

I want to see that hard work rewarded.

Yea I can't wait to see what his ceiling is, guy has some wheels. put in the work, and he can approach soups skating

DT also hinted he liked Kampfer at wing, that he did well there. don't be surprised if he is your new 4th line rw

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yea I can't wait to see what his ceiling is, guy has some wheels. put in the work, and he can approach soups skating

DT also hinted he liked Kampfer at wing, that he did well there. don't be surprised if he is your new 4th line rw

He could be a utility guy, swing back and forth like Monty RIP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad