Rumor: Hudler + Vadim Shipachyov to Vancouver?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This fits perfectly into the whole "We say we want to get younger but our actions don't align with what we say" thing the Canucks management has going on right now.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This fits perfectly into the whole "We say we want to get younger but our actions don't align with what we say" thing the Canucks management has going on right now.

My fear is they are going for it but are going to realize the blueline isn't good or deep enough and then they do something stupid because they are all in.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Nah.

The Sedin's point production dropped and the power play was abysmal. Weird claim though.

EDIT: Here's a break down I don't feel like spelling out for you:

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/10/7/how-bad-was-sutter-with-the-sedins-in-excessively-in-depth-look
I'm sorry, a breakdown based on a one game sample on the final day in the preseason on the first game he played with them? Did you even read the article, or did you just look at the headline and say "Yup, confirmed my point!" and posted it?

Are you serious? :laugh:

:cry:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Going to be an interesting season at Canuck land. As much as people are saying that we are an aging core we actually have a lot of young players behind the Sedins (Horvat, Virtanen, Baerchi, Hutton, Gurbradsson, Tramkyin, etc.)

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
This fits perfectly into the whole "We want to make some playoff home game revenue say we want to get younger but our actions don't align with what we say" thing the Canucks management has going on right now.

Fixed it for ya

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
No thanks to Hudler, but yes to Shipachyov.

Anyway, acquiring a player like that for nothing seems like the perfect move for the Obsequious Aquilini who refuses to rebuild. :silly:

dbb821e8c3.jpg

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
The Canucks have two forwards that don't need to clear waivers that are penciled into the line-up at this time, Virtanen and Gaunce. If the Canucks were to sign two older players they could send these two down to Utica. While some people may argue this is a sign the Canucks don't want to get younger, others may argue that this is a way to have more NHL quality depth available. The Canucks usually have a bunch of injuries before the pre-season is over. The intelligent strategy is to keep as much recall able depth on the farm as you can. The Canucks didn't have a poor season last year because there wasn't enough youth. It was because they didn't have enough depth to deal with injuries. Hyperbolic judgements about the management's agenda aren't really helpful. We all know the Canucks want to make the playoffs and develop youth. If you look at the line-up there is plenty of youth, even if there are more FA signed.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I think he Canucks could use another top-9 forward, but they have so many bottom-9 guys that a move needs to be made to accommodate any new signings, and they have a similar problem on the blueline with too many bottom pairing character guys. Something has got to give, and a trade might be coming up (or another buy-out? Burrows?)

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I think he Canucks could use another top-9 forward, but they have so many bottom-9 guys that a move needs to be made to accommodate any new signings, and they have a similar problem on the blueline with too many bottom pairing character guys. Something has got to give, and a trade might be coming up (or another buy-out? Burrows?)

Yes, this is true. Burrows would probably have to go. If the Canucks could sign both of those players then their top 9 forwards would look quite solid:

1. H. Sedin
2. D. Sedin
3. Eriksson
4. Hudler
5. Horvat
6. Sutter
7. Shipachyov
8. Baertschi
9. Virtanen
+ Hansen

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Yes, this is true. Burrows would probably have to go. If the Canucks could sign both of those players then their top 9 forwards would look quite solid:

1. H. Sedin
2. D. Sedin
3. Eriksson
4. Hudler
5. Horvat
6. Sutter
7. Shipachyov
8. Baertschi
9. Virtanen
+ Hansen

That's 10 players... add in Burrows, Granlund and Dorsett.. and you've got 13... ideally you add 1 more forward to go along with the 7 dman... but with Pedan likely used in both positions as an extra, you'd carry 8 dman.

And personally I'd rather see Virtanen in the A next season and earn being a call-up... that way if he earns it you've got a depth asset you can trade or even waive into the season.

I guess I just believe it's better for his development to develop at a lower level first and earn a NHL spot rather than be handed a spot at this stage ... better for both him and the team.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
That's 10 players... add in Burrows, Granlund and Dorsett.. and you've got 13... ideally you add 1 more forward to go along with the 7 dman... but with Pedan likely used in both positions as an extra, you'd carry 8 dman.

And personally I'd rather see Virtanen in the A next season and earn being a call-up... that way if he earns it you've got a depth asset you can trade or even waive into the season.

I guess I just believe it's better for his development to develop at a lower level first and earn a NHL spot rather than be handed a spot at this stage ... better for both him and the team.

A year in the AHL would be good for his conditioning for sure. But if there isnt a good playmaking center there then i'm worried his offense would stagnate and he'd be moulded into a 3W Torres type banger out there. Hard to say...i guess his play in camp will really dictate where he starts the year

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Who's Shipachyov ? I see that he put up great number in the KHL. He's average size. 29 years old.

anyone know anything about him? playing style ? etc

Shipachyov is a center on SKA. His line was the best in the KHL a couple seasons ago when he had Panarin and Dadanov on his wings and they won the KHL championship (Gagarin Cup). That threesome played together at Worlds in May and was the highest scoring line. Dadonov played about 40-50 games in the NHL about 5-6 years ago (Carolina I think) but didn't do well enough to stick.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015

Well, technically...

Gudbranson is younger than Hamhuis...
Eriksson is younger than Vrbata...
Hudler would be younger than Higgins...

Theyll have at least 8 players the age of 24 or under (Horvat, Virtanen, Hutton, Etem, Tryamkin, Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson)

And 9 players ages 25-30 (Edler, Tanev, Hansen, Sutter, Dorsett, Biega, Larsen, Markstrom, Sbisa)

Only 5 players are over 30, which accounts for 4.4% of the team...

But continue to flame away.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Well, technically...

Theyll have at least 8 players the age of 24 or under (Horvat, Virtanen, Hutton, Etem, Tryamkin, Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson)

And 9 players ages 25-30 (Edler, Tanev, Hansen, Sutter, Dorsett, Biega, Larsen, Markstrom, Sbisa)

Exactly this.

For some people facts really don't matter they'd rather just complain.

IF we don't sign either of these guys they will complain we should have added one of them and blaim Benning.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Well, technically...

I was with you until the math

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Svoboda talking to Canucks about Ship: "stop asking, he's not going there". click.

In this case the one thing the Canucks have going for them is a lack of center depth. If Shipachyov wants to start with a guaranteed job in the NHL, he can get one pretty easily with the Canucks.

As things are though we don't have the cap space for both him and Hudler.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Just smile, take a deep breath, nod reassuringly, and whisper to yourself:

We are all Jim Benning.

It'll make you feel better. It's very zen.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I'm amazed that such an incompetent management team is running an NHL organization.

tmac51

May 15, 2015
Winnipeg

1. H. Sedin
2. D. Sedin
3. Eriksson
4. Hudler
5. Horvat
6. Sutter
7. Shipachyov
8. Baertschi
9. Virtanen
+ Hansen

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Hudler - Horvat - Sutter (Swap taking faceoffs on their strong side)
Baertschi - Shipachyov - Hansen
Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett
Etem Rodin

Not too shabby, if only we could find a taker for Sbisa's contract

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Well, technically...

:huh:... Pretty basic math skills here but 5+9+8=22. 5/22*100=22.72%

In other words, more than 1/5 of your team is over 30, but less than 1/4.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Pretty sure Benning is a puppet for the Aquilini family. He's doing what they want. They want the team to be competitive, make the playoffs, and make them money. I doubt they fire Benning next summer and then support a full on rebuild. If they wanted to rebuild, they would be rebuilding right now. Changing GM's wont alter the mindset/plans of the owner.

The only chance of a rebuild happening is if season ticket holders start to bail because the team is ass, and I don't really see that happening as early as next season. Maybe in 2-3 years when it gets really bad.

Aquilini won't let a rebuild happen until Sedins retire because they feel they can be competitive and a playoff team. Why make playoffs and get bounced with 2 home games is beyond me when you can suck it up, slowly build your youth and go from there and try to make a second and third round in 3-5 years. Benning is just a puppet like you said unfortunately... From everything I hear on radio, etc. he always sounds like he wants to get draft picks and draft players but I really do think owners are screwing him over and making him get NHL ready now players simply for those few playoff revenue dates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad