Proposal: Huberdeau for Panarin

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
well you haven't really given a reason why.

I have, actually. If you don't agree with it, fine, but don't say I didn't do it.

because it's a top 10 winger in the NHL who is 26 years old. Even with a narrow list, a team is going to pony up for him because players like him at his age only become available once every decade or so.

As I said and apparently another thing you didn't read, each offer would have to be evaluated on its own merit. If, as you suggest, an offer comes in that meets the FO's standards, then fine. But I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach, keeping open the option to not deal him at all if there's not a suitable return.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
So does FLA need D? Say we trade Panarin who agrees to talk contract, Ryan Murray who will be a RFA, and a 3rd for Trocheck and a 2nd/Prospect? Murray is a 2/3D who is a great shut down guy and can baby sit guys and age and cost is good for you guys (we have Peake and Gavrikov ready to fill in making our 2nd best defensive D available), Panarin who is a top 3 LW in the league in his prime who you could sign 8 years instead of the 7 you MIGHT get depending on where he wants to go in the summer.

To argue not paying because you can wait until summer is a bad arguement when he apparently has at least 5 teams he is willing to go to and other teams can offer him more. Panarin for 8x80mil plus RFA Murray is easily worth Trocheck when you got the players on FLA and young guys who can step in and replace him.

Any trade for Panarin pre season has to be viewed as Trade with permission/intent to resign. If you want to talk return TDL sure we can argue unsigned Panarin but if we are trading him look at our last 3 non TDL trades and tell CBJ fans that we dont do even/win trades when we trade major players. JK literally will only make a move if it keeps us even or improves the team. If it doesnt make sense for winning this year he wont pull the trigger. The poster that said is it worth winning 1 series then getting knocked out immediately and lose Panarin for nothing then get whatever at the TDL it 100% is because it would be our 1st series win ever and Panarin would be leaving not because our guy screwed up but because Panarins gf wants to live in a coastal city. Our last 3 big non TDL trades AA and Dano for Saad. I said it was even at the time because at the time I thought AA was great and a big part of why we made the playoffs the 1 year and Dano had a great rookie outing (Hartnell and Wennberg made him look better then he ever became). Then we traded Saad back who had only improved here after CHI fans mocked us saying he could never produce here without Toews and Forsberg who was never going to be our goalie or backup for Panarin who people said would be nothing without Kane and not only couldnt play D but would butt heads with Torts. Not only was Panarin an elite defensive winger... he put up his beat numbers without kane and with more 2 way styled players in a system not ran for high scoring and Torts loved and praises him and Panarin returned the love. And the other was Jones for RyJo. The later was lazy and out of shape while having a agent that we knew was going to be horrible to deal with. That deal lead to us getting a top 5 D in the league who is right handed and U25 but also signed an amazing contract while the man we moved hasnt come close to producing what his huge contract ended up as. In comparison 2 deals he DIDN'T make recently was keeping JJ after requesting a trade and Bjorkstrand+1st+Carlson(I think was the ask) for Duchene. No offer for JJ was good enough to move him so even though we sat him and he left for nothing when we had injuries late in the season the decision to keep him gave us depth to be ok there. If we moved him we might have missed ththe playoffs. The 2nd again we would have lost our 1st who is a young world class speed C which we desperately needed, Bjorkstrand who has improved each NHL year and is a natural goal scorer, and Carlson who is still unknown to be fair but is a 1st round pick who had a great +1 year and god awful +2. But they wanted that when Duchene started hot and we just kept saying too much you get 1 or the other and then a lesser and then what happened? Another team overpaid major for Duchene and he was worse then invisible after the move. JK knows when to pull the trigger or no. Again its drafting/trading but he decided not to risk trading back from 3 and took PLD over pool party and the year before that decided to not spend extra assets to move up and take Hannifan which they had a chance too but to hold and take Werenski who they thought was equal or better. Again not making trades and holding off and making the team better to get what people would say was a sure thing or the equivalent of not letting panarin walk for free there (a sure return).

Im not arguing FLA should trade for Panarin but if they do its assuming trade with intent to sign so ots basically sogned Panarin. Signed Panarin+(Murray/pick/prospect) JK is going to be able to get what would be an at worst fair deal if you look at our history. Hubs+ would be 1 and Trocheck for Panarin+ is another that just makes all the sense. MAYBE Tippett+ for Panarin depending on how he has developed.

Basically TL;DR if we trade its always at least win/win, our GM knows when to hold and when to fold and when to walk away, and if Panarin is traded pre season it is assumed it is the value of signed Panarin not 1yr.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Columbus traded Saad, signed long-term, to Chicago in 2017 for Panarin, a superior player but with only 2 years left on his contract. In so doing, the Blue Jackets knowingly assumed the risk that Panarin would decide to do exactly what he has indicated that he intends to do-- leave at the end of the 2018-19 season, become a UFA and sign a contract for big money with a team of his choice. In these circumstances, Panarin's current trade value is that of a one-year rental. Suitors for Panarin are likely limited to a few cup contending teams with cap space Forget Florida. Forget Huberdeau. Not happening.

Reactions: Laus723

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Columbus wouldn't do Borgstrom + Bjugstad + futures???

Bjorkstrand - Dubois - Atkinson
Foligno - Wennberg - Bjugstad
Jenner - Borgstrom - Anderson
Milano - Dubinsky - Nash (#20)
Duclair

Jackets fan here who strongly believes Panarin must be either signed (highly unlikely) or traded prior to the season start. Only way I'd trade him at the deadline is if Jackets are out of it. And then the return is only going to be a couple of draft picks in the 2nd half of the round(s).

I'd consider that trade depending on the futures. Bjugstad can also play C correct?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Jackets fan here who strongly believes Panarin must be either signed (highly unlikely) or traded prior to the season start. Only way I'd trade him at the deadline is if Jackets are out of it. And then the return is only going to be a couple of draft picks in the 2nd half of the round(s).

I'd consider that trade depending on the futures. Bjugstad can also play C correct?
He can play C but he's better on the wing as a complementary player on a top line.

Reactions: Laus723 and EspenK

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
No chance I trade Huberdeau for Panarin. Too much risk.

CBJ needs to trade him and not be in a Tavares type situation where he walks for nothing. Even if it's futures. You'll probably get a better package of futures than something with a proven NHL player anyway.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
No Trocheck.
No Huberdeau.

Possibly Bjugstad and Tippett or Borgstrom...but that’s a lot for a possible one year rental.

He’s signed for one year, it’s the off-season, be prepared to be disappointed if you think you’re going to get something along the lines of those first two names. Especially from the Panthers.

Doubt Borgstrom becomes available, DT didn’t move him for Patches who’s in the same situation. I think Panarin is the better player, but they’re still both top 6 guys with one year remaining.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
No Trocheck.
No Huberdeau.

Possibly Bjugstad and Tippett or Borgstrom...but that’s a lot for a possible one year rental.

He’s signed for one year, it’s the off-season, be prepared to be disappointed if you think you’re going to get something along the lines of those first two names. Especially from the Panthers.

Doubt Borgstrom becomes available, DT didn’t move him for Patches who’s in the same situation. I think Panarin is the better player, but they’re still both top 6 guys with one year remaining.
If the rumor that Florida is on his list of teams he will extend with, the Panthers should absolutely make Borgstrom and Tippett available.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
If the rumor that Florida is on his list of teams he will extend with, the Panthers should absolutely make Borgstrom and Tippett available.

Respectfully, you are putting the cart before the horse. Until one knows the terms upon which Panarin is willing to resign, then it is impossible to ascertain his trade value. For example, Panarin at $7 million over 7 years has a far different trade value than Panarin at $13 million over 7 years. In fact, at $7 million, Paranin has a positive trade value and, at $13 million, a negative trade value. To my knowledge, Columbus has not given any team permission to negotiate a future contract with Panarin in advance of a trade, unless and until that occurs Panarin's value is that of a one-year rental.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Respectfully, you are putting the cart before the horse. Until one knows the terms upon which Panarin is willing to resign, then it is impossible to ascertain his trade value. For example, Panarin at $7 million over 7 years has a far different trade value than Panarin at $13 million over 7 years. In fact, at $7 million, Paranin has a positive trade value and, at $13 million, a negative trade value. To my knowledge, Columbus has not given any team permission to negotiate a future contract with Panarin in advance of a trade, unless and until that occurs Panarin's value is that of a one-year rental.
obviously. but you have to make assumptions or the conversation can't go anywhere.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

I’d be fine with both of them going for him, he’s the real deal, but his trade value isn’t the same as it would be either with an extension or at the deadline.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Auston Mathews has yet to beat Huberdeau's career high in points should we label them as equals?
xgz9nkR.gif

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The Panthers wouldn't sign Panarin even if he were a free agent unless the cap increased by a huge margin
meh. they have 16 million in projected cap space with nobody of importance to re-sign. If they want to be a player for him, they can

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Our current cap space is 3 million next year it would most likely go up around 5 million give or take. So we wouldn't have much room to work with.

Florida Panthers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Panarin's a free agent next offseason. The Panthers would have 16 million in cap space. He's not a FA this year. He's signed at a 6 million dollar deal. Any trade for him is going to have a current roster player going back. Assuming Trocheck, Huberdeau, Barkov, and Dadonov are off the table, the most likely option would be Bjugstad.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The whole point of this section is hypothetical situations obviously we have no control irl but Panarin has apparently expressed intressed in playing in florida so you can expect it would be if traded he is is signing. He is likely to sign somewhere between 9 and 11mil. So not your high or low. And a signed Panarin is going to be worth 1 of those 2 names not saying you should do it or it would happen but value is there. Bjugstad and Tippet also depending on how JK sees it might be enough.

I asked before but what is your D like. We might be able to trade Murray for juar over 2mil this year and then has a year left of RFA for you to work with. We also have a fantastic goalie prospect stable. I think If we make the move we want to improve as much as possoble but JK is also always good at making deals win/wins where both teams get better because it keeps a great future relationship so I could see more then just a 1 for 1 swap and more like the Panarin deal we did that sent Forsberg away too to help CHI.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Panarin's a free agent next offseason. The Panthers would have 16 million in cap space. He's not a FA this year. He's signed at a 6 million dollar deal. Any trade for him is going to have a current roster player going back. Assuming Trocheck, Huberdeau, Barkov, and Dadonov are off the table, the most likely option would be Bjugstad.

I know, we would have to resign Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Hoffman, Dadonov and Trocheck within 4 years after the 19/20 season. Plus guys like Borgstrom, Tippett and McCann. It would be extremely difficult to have all these guys together.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus uses Panarin for a year (at least until the deadline) and lets him walk for nothing before they make a trade where they aren’t getting a Huberdeau/Trocheck level player. Why would they move him this early for less? Makes them much worse. Don’t be silly.

He may be a rental right now, but he is an ELITE player and if a deal is made now it would only be with someone who believe they can re-sign him.

Scratching off all those names makes sense if it’s at the deadline, but it’s not....

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I know, we would have to resign Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Hoffman, Dadonov and Trocheck within 4 years after the 19/20 season. Plus guys like Borgstrom, Tippett and McCann. It would be extremely difficult to have all these guys together.
Borgstrom and probably Tippett would be blue jackets under that scenario. When you have the chance to acquire elite talent you do it. You don't go into what if's about prospects. Panarin becomes the 2nd best player on the team. If it means Hoffman leaves as a FA after 2019-2020, who cares.

Reactions: I am not exposed

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Do you really think you would keep (or need) all those players after acquiring ones of the best wings in the game?

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4