Proposal: Huberdeau for Panarin

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Do you really think you would keep (or need) all those players after acquiring ones of the best wings in the game?

I'm pretty sure its obvious at this point that you need depth to make a run in the playoffs. My point is that its better to have the depth going forward than to acquire "one of the best wingers" in the game

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Borgstrom and probably Tippett would be blue jackets under that scenario. When you have the chance to acquire elite talent you do it. You don't go into what if's about prospects. Panarin becomes the 2nd best player on the team. If it means Hoffman leaves as a FA after 2019-2020, who cares.

How would they be Blue Jackets aren't we speaking from the point of view that Panarin is a free agent. Its hard to keep Huberdeau, Trocheck and Barkov together if we signed a 9 million dollar player. It would obliterate the bottom 6 depth.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
How would they be Blue Jackets aren't we speaking from the point of view that Panarin is a free agent. Its hard to keep Huberdeau, Trocheck and Barkov together if we signed a 9 million dollar player. It would obliterate the bottom 6 depth.
Then you make a decision of who gets let go after 3 years of having one of if not the best forward group in the eastern conference. You don't pass on stars because you are worried about 3 seasons from now.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I know, we would have to resign Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Hoffman, Dadonov and Trocheck within 4 years after the 19/20 season. Plus guys like Borgstrom, Tippett and McCann. It would be extremely difficult to have all these guys together.
"We can't trade for Panarin, or we won't be able to re-sign Nick Bjugstad!" said no one ever.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Then you make a decision of who gets let go after 3 years of having one of if not the best forward group in the eastern conference. You don't pass on stars because you are worried about 3 seasons from now.

Thats not exactly true, plenty of teams take into consideration possible cap issues going into the future. It's just the reality of the cap era. Their are no GM's that go blind signing every best player they don't "deal with it later".

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I know, we would have to resign Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Hoffman, Dadonov and Trocheck within 4 years after the 19/20 season. Plus guys like Borgstrom, Tippett and McCann. It would be extremely difficult to have all these guys together.
Yeah you wouldnt have all those guys after a trade. Plus when you factor in what they cost you only factor in what their raise will be. So having the space you have now Plus moving out likely 2 of those names you would be fine and a better team on top of that.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Yeah you wouldnt have all those guys after a trade. Plus when you factor in what they cost you only factor in what their raise will be. So having the space you have now Plus moving out likely 2 of those names you would be fine and a better team on top of that.

I don't see the need to sacrifice depth for more offensive. The Panther's have a far bigger need on defense and possibly goaltending. Much better to keep cheaper depth players and spend the money on defense.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Thats not exactly true, plenty of teams take into consideration possible cap issues going into the future. It's just the reality of the cap era. Their are no GM's that go blind signing every best player they don't "deal with it later".
I'm not saying they don't take the future into account, but when a star drops out of the sky, you don't pass because 3-4 years from now there will be tough decisions to be made. 3-4 years of a forward group that includes Barkov, Panarin, Huberdeau, Trocheck, and Dadonov is a forward group that is a cup contender, not a bubble team like the Panthers currently are.

Reactions: I am not exposed

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I don't see the need to sacrifice depth for more offensive. The Panther's have a far bigger need on defense and possibly goaltending. Much better to keep cheaper depth players and spend the money on defense.
I have said in previous posts we would likely look to move a goalie prospect and/or a Ryan Murray at 2mil for 1yr and an RFA after that along with Panarin to make sure we get the 2 players we want. You would be losing 1 offensive player basically while upgrading 1 to a top 3 LW superstar but you could also get a 2/3 stay at home shut down D that is U25 for dirt cheap and or maybe a goalie prospect because we have some great ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad