Proposal: Huberdeau for Panarin

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Panarin is slightly better, Huberdeau is slightly younger. The only problem is, whether Panarin will stay in Florida. Considering, he owns a condo in Florida, I think chances for him to sign a contract are pretty decent. And there is his old linemate Dadonov on the team, which should help as well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Panarin is slightly better, Huberdeau is slightly younger. The only problem is, whether Panarin will stay in Florida. Considering, he owns a condo in Florida, I think chances for him to sign a contract are pretty decent. And there is his old linemate Dadonov on the team, which should help as well.
The upgrade Panarin would provide, is probably not worth how much more than Huberdeau Florida would have to pay Panarin. At best you would have to think Panarin settles for 8.5 in a no-income tax state, is Panarin worth 2.6m a year more than Huberdeau, who the Panthers have locked up at 5.9 until 2023.

Reactions: Meeqs and Pi

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Nope. Hubs is signed to a terrific deal for several more years and continues to grow. He has chemistry with both of our top centers as well.

Would love to have Panarin, he has 1 year left on his deal, you don’t move a guy like Huberdeau for a guy with one year left.

rinne

Oct 10, 2016
Tampere
Why exactly would Florida do this?

Sure. Panarin is slightly better player. Especially offensively. He has year left of his contract. Panarin will likely get something like 8m+ AAV. Is Panarin really worth ovet 2 millions/year more than Huberdeau? Huby Is something like 65-75 point winger with good 2-way play. That is good enough for a top line winger. Plus he has chemistry with Barkov (and Trocheck)...

Panarin would be great to have, but not what Florida needs the most. After Hoffman they have good enough top6 of forwards. They do need upgrade to D. And to G in long term. Luongo isn't young anymore...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I think there could be a good chance he would sign in Florida.

Barkov- Dadonov linemates, Mamin+Kiselevich there as well, just drafted Denisenko.

But I don't know if it's an upgrade that makes sense for Florida, they have an elite top5 already with potentitally 5 60+ point forwards and Borgstrom& Tippet to follow.

They could use that extra money on defense/bottom6, that's where the real difference now is made with them.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why exactly would Florida do this?

Sure. Panarin is slightly better player. Especially offensively. He has year left of his contract. Panarin will likely get something like 8m+ AAV. Is Panarin really worth ovet 2 millions/year more than Huberdeau? Huby Is something like 65-75 point winger with good 2-way play. That is good enough for a top line winger. Plus he has chemistry with Barkov (and Trocheck)...

Panarin would be great to have, but not what Florida needs the most. After Hoffman they have good enough top6 of forwards. They do need upgrade to D. And to G in long term. Luongo isn't young anymore...

Huberdeau is already 25. He's been playing in the league for 6 years and he scored just 34 points more, than Panarin in 3 seasons. This last season he scored 13 less points, than Panarin, in 1 more games, playing with Barkov and Trocheck, while Artemii's linemates couldn't score more, than 48 points (and it was a rookie teenager). I'd say the difference between Panarin and Huberdeau is big enough to pay 2+ million dollars additionally. Of course, extention is needed, and then Florida will have him till 2026 year.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Just for term, trading Huberdeau is bad deal for the Panthers. Panthers can wait for till next year and maybe get as him as a UFA if they want.
What's so special about a player making 6m having a condo in Florida? Many players own multiple residences either in North American or Europe. Gee many "average folks in North American own multiple homes.

Reactions: SufferingCatFan

rinne

Oct 10, 2016
Tampere
I'd say the difference between Panarin and Huberdeau is big enough to pay 2+ million dollars additionally.
Poor wording from me originally. Sorry for that. I don't think that really is the question here.

Is Florida better team with a) Huberdeau + D or bottom-6 upgraded with the help of that 2+ million (or whatever the difference will be) or b) with Panarin? I don't think that trading Huby for Panarin helps Florida with team's bottom-6. Even if they divide talent to different lines.

Florida's top6, even top9 is in decent shape now. They have turned around within a year (after losing Smith/Marchessault) rather well since Dadonov proved to be great signing and then getting Hoffman. And there is more help coming from the pipeline. Borgström, Tippett are getting close. Heponiemi might make it with couple years etc. And that is added to Barkov, Huby, Dadonov, Tro, Hoffman...

Without injuries they already have 5 players who can score 60+ points. But they need help to bottom-6 and defense. Last year for Florida Pysyk was played over his head as #4D. He struggled. The bottom-6 wasn't good enough which lead to top-6 playing too much and becoming clearly tired towards the end of the season. I mean both Barkov and Trocheck had average ice time over 21 minutes per game. Barkov played #1D sort of minutes at some nights reaching that 27-28 minutes territory of ice time. Huby's scoring went down etc.

I think they need more upgrade to bottom-6/D than they need to upgrade Huberdeau.

And of course there is Tallon and his love for "his own boys". I don't think Huby is likely to move.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I like both players but Panarin is significantly better than Hubie and IMO worth the extra couple million. Panarin on a line with Barkov and his old friend/linemate Dadonov would be a 90+ point player, and the line would be one of the best in the NHL defensively too.

Huberdeau is at best a PPG player assuming he plays with Barkov full time, and he was scoring at that pace last season until he was moved to the Trochek line and his pace slowed noticeably.

Best case scenario would be for the Panthers to trade for him without giving up Huberdeau, then you could have a top six like this:

Panarin-Barkov-Dadonov

Huberdeau-Trochek-Bjugstad/Hoffman

Not sure what it would take to pull that off though, most likely something with Borgstrom.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I like both players but Panarin is significantly better than Hubie and IMO worth the extra couple million. Panarin on a line with Barkov and his old friend/linemate Dadonov would be a 90+ point player, and the line would be one of the best in the NHL defensively too.

Huberdeau is at best a PPG player assuming he plays with Barkov full time, and he was scoring at that pace last season until he was moved to the Trochek line and his pace slowed noticeably.

Best case scenario would be for the Panthers to trade for him without giving up Huberdeau, then you could have a top six like this:

Panarin-Barkov-Dadonov

Huberdeau-Trochek-Bjugstad/Hoffman

Not sure what it would take to pull that off though, most likely something with Borgstrom.

Im trading Borgstrom for Panarin without a doubt, as long as an extension is signed.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Poor wording from me originally. Sorry for that. I don't think that really is the question here.

Is Florida better team with a) Huberdeau + D or bottom-6 upgraded with the help of that 2+ million (or whatever the difference will be) or b) with Panarin? I don't think that trading Huby for Panarin helps Florida with team's bottom-6. Even if they divide talent to different lines.

Florida's top6, even top9 is in decent shape now. They have turned around within a year (after losing Smith/Marchessault) rather well since Dadonov proved to be great signing and then getting Hoffman. And there is more help coming from the pipeline. Borgström, Tippett are getting close. Heponiemi might make it with couple years etc. And that is added to Barkov, Huby, Dadonov, Tro, Hoffman...

Without injuries they already have 5 players who can score 60+ points. But they need help to bottom-6 and defense. Last year for Florida Pysyk was played over his head as #4D. He struggled. The bottom-6 wasn't good enough which lead to top-6 playing too much and becoming clearly tired towards the end of the season. I mean both Barkov and Trocheck had average ice time over 21 minutes per game. Barkov played #1D sort of minutes at some nights reaching that 27-28 minutes territory of ice time. Huby's scoring went down etc.

I think they need more upgrade to bottom-6/D than they need to upgrade Huberdeau.

And of course there is Tallon and his love for "his own boys". I don't think Huby is likely to move.

I think, for Florida Huberdeau + 2.5M upgrade is about as good as getting Panarin. But there is an old hockey rule, you should always pick the better player, and it's Panarin. That's why I think this trade is good for Florida. And for Columbus it's one of the better options, because it looks like they will have to trade Artemii.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Im trading Borgstrom for Panarin without a doubt, as long as an extension is signed.
Panarin won't be moved for futures and picks.

It's someone like Huberdeau or bust. Panarin is arguably a cornerstone player, he's not gonna be traded for hopes and dreams. Adding him to Barkovs wing almost instantly makes that one of the best lines in the east.

If Florida has Panarin last season and Columbus had Huberdeau, the jackets easily miss the playoffs and Florida is facing Washington.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Like how Huberdeau is described as a 65-75 pt. player, when he has only scored in the 60's once in 6 seasons.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

It's someone like Huberdeau or bust. Panarin is arguably a cornerstone player, he's not gonna be traded for hopes and dreams. Adding him to Barkovs wing almost instantly makes that one of the best lines in the east.

If Florida has Panarin last season and Columbus had Huberdeau, the jackets easily miss the playoffs and Florida is facing Washington.

They already have that with
Huberdeau- Barkov- Dadonov.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
They already have that with
Huberdeau- Barkov- Dadonov.

That is their best combination but they only used it the first half of last season, Huberdeau was moved to Trochek's line for the second half to spread out scoring. No guarantee he is put back with Barkov next year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That is their best combination but they only used it the first half of last season, Huberdeau was moved to Trochek's line for the second half to spread out scoring. No guarantee he is put back with Barkov next year.

Bottom6 killed them last season, they had to overplay Barkov/Trocheck like crazy.

Since then they've added Hoffman+ Borgstrom+ potentially Tippett into their roster.
Late in the season they added Vatrano+ Mamin should be a fulltime bottom6 player from game 1-.

Huberdeau on the 1st line leaves Trocheck with Hoffman atleast for the 2nd line. They could try Boston model and dominate games with their 1st line, with much improved depth on their bottom9.

Last edited:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

You cant really say what he will or will not be moved for though, especially if he is still a Blue Jacket as the TDL nears. If Borgstrom+ is the best offer Kekalainen gets, you dont think he would take the deal? I agree with you that if he is dealt in the coming weeks, a NHL ready players has to be the main piece going back, but nothing certain as the season starts, and gets closer to that TDL. You could do a lot worse than Borgstrom, and say our 1st rounder as well.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Huh?
Zucker is a really fast winger who scores 20-30g/yr.. Nobody but the most blatant homer would ever think that he would net Panarin a straight trade...not even close.
He's saying that calling Huberdeau a 65-75 point player after one year at 69 pts is no more ridiculous than calling Zucker a 60 pt player after one year at 63 points. As someone that's made the latter claim, I don't disagree with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad