How wrong were your predictions so far?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Something I'll be paying more attention to is how the teams finish the season. "Saving oneself for the playoffs" seems to be a myth - teams who play bad to end the regular season do poorly in the playoffs, whereas the teams that play strong to end the regular season tend to carry that into the post-season. I think I'll start putting very little value on the regular season as a whole. Well, that also is what I was talking about when I said that saving players for playoffs is a very bad idea and those players who got saved will just play poorly. Happened to Flames.

Although, that still would have missed out on the Penguins getting swept. But would have predicted Avalanche, Blues, perhaps Columbus winning.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Feel free to dig through the posts of the series threads. And I was wrong on basically all the # of games.

This year was really even with teams.

1.The Jets sucked this season, basically all their advance stats were awful while the Blues ended very hot. I assumed the Jets would drag it out because they tend to play the blues well.

2.Sharks and Vegas was a toss up. Very even teams, Sharks had an uneven second half, but Vegas lost 7 straight at the end. I was banking on that streak and fleury not repeating magic (mind you I guessed game 7 before the sharks won lol. I thought I was going to lose this morning.). *I’m expecting Sharks now as on my bracket lol. I changed my mind well after the playoffs started because Jones had been bad, but they were technically my “official” pick ;)

*3. I already explained the Jackets. Presidents trophy winners frequently let down, and if there’s any team that can frustrate a great offense it’s a Torts team. I’ve suffered through multiple series against him as a *Caps fan, with the rangers and the jackets. ***Always gave us hell with lot worse teams. This one was very much a toss up too, as I thought bob would be the big weakness. I definitely won’t say I was near 100% on this but I like betting against Caps competition.

4. Avs was another toss up, but ultimately I settled on it would basically be the Avs 3 guys and Smith. I was down on the flames all year. Had 7 games Avs as my final decision (after making 2 other brackets flipping lol)

5. Bruins, Leafs... does this need explaining?. Frankly id be disappointed if they didn’t drag it out. Mind you, I didn’t actually guess who wins. On this one I actually got the # right. I’ll guess bruins right now, because I hope they’d be the Caps ECF opponents

6. Islanders have been so frustrating this year defensively and with goaltending. With Pens defense group generally being really bad, and their secondary scorers cold, this was easy; I didn’t count Crosby, Malkin and Murray going down without a fight tho. Had them losing 7.

7. Caps in 6 because I love the Caps and assumed basically the exact same team that won the cup could handle a team with a young inexperienced core in their first playoffs. I thought it would be 5 but I wanted to be “nice.” I miss that confidence ? :(

Ok I believe you.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I was right about the Isles beating the Pens and Blues beating Jets, as a Jets fan I did predict that...

Wrong about Lightning and Flames.

Everybody was so off the NHL Bracket challenge decided to give everybody a second chance!

So far have also predicted Canes beating Caps, Vegas beating San Jose, Nashville beating Dallas and Boston beating Toronto. We'll see when it's official how wrong I truly was.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Ok I believe you.
Lol idk if you do, but I promise I almost failed an exam before the playoffs began, because I was f***ing ready and looking stuff up in the library instead of working!
I follow several teams to varying extents, trust certain posters here, my past opinions, analysis from a couple sites...
And like I said, half were still toss ups. I made three brackets before settlings. 50/50 is actually really good odds. I’m a nerd, I don’t duck around with predictions.

Last edited:

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Well, my predictions so far:
Calgary ✖
SJS/VGK - G7 ✔
DAL
STL ✔
TBL ✖
BOS
WSH
NYI ✔

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
So far, every series winner. Glad I didn't play my usual pool this year, though I often ended up winning some $$ with 50/50 picks in the first round.

I did however predict 2OT with a Hertl softie for last night's game.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
So far Ive picked wrong on Calgary and Tampa Bay. Need Dallas, Vegas, Washington and Boston to win their series.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I predicted a Tampa/Washington, San Jose/St Louis conference finals.

Obviously wrong about Tampa but if San Jose wins tomorrow my draft is looking pretty good.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if you check the dictionary under "wrong" there is a picture of me.

the only thing i've gotten right so far is winnipeg going out, and i was not strong on that in the first round. i might be right about san jose surviving the series but not about the way they've played. i have nashville beating dallas but i thought easily in 4 or 5. washington was supposed to do the same to carolina.

i also had calgary coming out of the west, and boston or the pens from the east, so i still have a flickering "hope" with boston, which is probably the pick i'd be least happy being right about.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Everything I have picked has been correct so far except Tampa.

xUNTN5m.jpg

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
In my office bracket, I had Dallas/Vegas in the west and Boston/Washington in the east, with a Washington/Vegas rematch, but Vegas win. So things are looking pretty good for me, considering many people had Tampa and Calgary going far (I had them both out in the 2nd round).

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If San Jose beats Vegas, I picked the entire Western Conference wrong.

If Washington and Boston lose, my only correct pick is Columbus over Tampa Bay.

Great playoffs.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I had Tampa in 4, Pens in 4 and Calgary in 5. All way off.

Rest of my bracket:
Vegas in 6 (going to game 7)
Nashville in 6 (wrong again)
Winnipeg in 6 (wrong again)
Boston in 5 (going to game 7)
Washington in 5 (going to game 7)

Yeesh, I might go 0/8 lmao.

Let's see if my 2nd round predictions will be any good:
Vegas/San Jose in 5 vs Colorado
St Louis in 6 vs Dallas
Columbus in 6 vs Boston/Toronto
Washington/Carolina in 6 vs Islanders