How would you fix the DOPS?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hockey culture of the 70s still permeates the NHL. It'll be a joke insignificant league in the US until they take things like player safety seriously. But the culture is that of old men that have more brawn than brains.

It'll still be a joke league. In the sense that it'll never in a million years be as popular as the other 3 and is more of a niche sport/league.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I mean Parros has no idea what he's doing, so getting him out of there is the first step.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
I don't know how you can have players who did things over the line when they played and thought it was ok, be part of the group that hands out discipline

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Ladies and gents, we’ve heard your feedback. Introducing your new head of DOPS
upload_2021-5-4_18-54-4.jpeg

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Maybe don't hire players who were known bruisers, fighters, and dirty players to be the ones to hand out punishments for a start.

Isn't there an actual award for "most Gentlemanly player"?

I think it's called the Lady Byng.

A very interesting award actually Lady Byng Memorial Trophy - Wikipedia

Huh, so now why don't we take a look at the people who have won this award:

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy - Wikipedia

Huh, anyone on there looking for a job in the NHL?

I'm seeing a whole lot of Martin St. Louis, Pavel Datsyuk, Wayne Gretzky, Paul Kariya.

Nah, let's hire a f***ing goon over and over again.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Said this on the other thread already. But in every supplemental discipline case the minimum punishment should be 1.5x the players last suspension.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Wasn't Parros kind of a douche when he played? Why does he have that job? That's bettmans boo boo.

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
Main issue is transparency and it’s not overtly complicated to fix that. Besides someone in charge who is not a former player, GM, or coach (for perceived fairness):
  • Suspension guidelines updated yearly and made available to public. Last update at nhl.com/playersafety was in 2017-18. Players and fans don’t know what is legal and what is not.
  • Video explanation of all actions and reference similar incidents. Not absolutely necessary but would be nice to see an explanation on non-decisions as well
  • Independent review of department done regularly by 3rd party. This is the hardest to achieve but for the NHL to have a legal defense it may be the most important

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
"What uniquely positions me for the job is that I played the game as physically as anybody and I never once was fined or suspended."

- George Parros

Checks out.

Reactions: Rebels57

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Perhaps it is time for the DoPS to be under the umbrella of the NHLPA. That way they are policing themselves.
And they are also the ones appealing suspensions?
DoPS needs to be independent of the people they are policing and the league itself.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Parros should go, for starters. But the mentality runs much deeper than just him.

It's not like he's fighting off Bettman and hordes of NHL staff saying the suspensions should be longer and more consistent.

Reactions: Sandisfan

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I've said it a hundred times. A medical doctor with a deep understanding of brain trauma should be heading-up the DoPS.

At the very least it should be handle by impartial and independent people. Not by employees of the NHL who have invested interests. There is an old boys club mentality that is far past it's time in the NHL. a lot of them need to retire and go away. They are still operating under an old school thought process.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Should be a 3rd party not affiliated with either the NHL or NHLPA as in no former players. Fines and suspensions should have an option for a challenge from either of those sides. Once the verdict has been given that's it and it is on your personal record which will be held against you. Fines and suspensions need to be significantly increased however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad