How would you fix the DOPS?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Gary Bettman is in charge of this shit show, it starts and ends with getting rid of him. He trades short term intrigue for long term damage and lawsuits- the dude is in charge of the most incompetent league, if I’m a player I have zero respect for him, his opinion, and those he puts in positions of power. Get a real commissioner and these concerns will soon be solved.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
As often happens when I post on a thread later, I think I killed the thread as often there are no pasts after I put in my one and a half cents.

I have been thinking even before this latest example. Would it be overly costly or difficult to hire a modeling (as in computer Models like used in Video games) company to do a quick and dirty model of each occurrence after doing an off season study of hundreds of previous incidents to have a start of a baseline for future decisions. You would probably need at least two camera angles. It would make it possible to refine these studies and evaluations in the future.

P.S. Modeling where a computer guy would mark dots for shoulders elbows wrists knees hips ankles and so forth to at least have other info other than what an ex-player thinks is a good hit with his own prejudices for each team and player.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There are a few things that need to be understood in order to do this topic justice, and I feel like there is widespread either ignorance or ignoring of these factors whenever the topic of the DoPS comes up on this board:

1) The DoPS is not in charge of deciding what the rules are.

I see the suggestion on here all the time that George Parros should be replaced by someone with a medical background. This sort of statement does not make sense, because having a medical background does not help you decide what rules were broken on a hockey play. Knowing that something is medically dangerous does not allow someone to better judge whether it was illegal, or the severity of the transgression relative to the spirit of the game.

It does make sense to have people with a medical background factor into the decision on how rules are written and worded. If the league decides to alter its rules to favour player safety more based on what they hear, this then facilitates suspensions for dangerous plays which currently are not suspension-worthy according to the rules. I imagine this type of consultation is largely done already, though.

2) The DoPS does not have the freedom to work outside the rules.

It is important to realize that any decisions that affect contractual earnings can only be made within the rules set out in the agreements binding the players and the league. If the DoPS was to intentionally err on the side of player safety and forgo the actual rules in doing so, the league opens itself up to legal action (aka a Wideman-esque lawsuit).

We see arguments made all the time like "even if it's technically allowed, it's about time an example is made of him." Or else "just look at how many fanbases agree that he should be banned, that should be enough." Statements like this seem to pretend that the DoPS has complete leeway to apply bans free of any accountability just because "it's the right thing to do." That is simply not the case.

Once this is understood, the conversation can move on to figuring out the exact nature of the problem and if any valid solutions exist; however, I think the answer is probably no. Not a perfect one, anyway. The real problem is that no one is ever going to agree on where the balance should be struck between the spirit of the game and player safety in the rules of the NHL. We move this balance around from time to time, and every move pleases some while displeasing others. Because of the range of different opinions on the matter, even if one person's perfect solution comes to pass, it would be a terrible move in the eyes of someone else.

Reactions: traparatus

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
This thread is just a continuation of wilson bashing .. under the guise of being about the DOPS.

Same as the "enforcer" thread.

You actually thought the OP didnt intend for this to be another Wilson vent thread? Yikes my man

Read the posts in the thread and make your own assessment.

Whatever your determination is doesn’t alter the fact that the post I was referring to was superficial transparent garbage.

looks like you’re trying to join that club too. Go for it.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Put someone who isn't a caveman in charge. Maybe someone who has played this decade and had to quit due to past failures.

Throw some refs on there too. Make refs do press conferences after games where this shit happens and have them express their views publicly like everyone else.

And raise the fines.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Robots

Humans will always make mistakes or have biases and things

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
The fact that I'm deciding how the DoPS works itself would fix it.

The problem is the DoPS is a PR department for Bettman and co, not a player safety board. It's only there to give them a chance to show the average fan they care about player safety, even when they so obviously don't to any hardcore fan.

Bettman and co have to have their hands completely removed from running the DoPS if you want to see it do anything good for the league. Anything else, and it's just not fixable.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Before deciding how to "fix" the DOPS... I think you need to decide what the "goal" of the DOPS is, and specifically, how you balance between keeping players safe, and maintaining the "emotion" and "physicality" in the game.

Regardless of where you stand on that spectrum, players do need an understanding of what they can do, and what they can't do.

There is no rule, or precedent about punching/shoving a guy head first to the ice. To be honest, I'm not sure I've heard of an injury coming from this since Bertuzzi-Moore. Players have long understood that it is a "govern yourself" approach... in that you as a player have a responsibility to ensure that you do not injure another player, and that the primary determination of whether disciplinary action is warranted is to what extent a player is hurt.

Yes, Panarin got hurt, but apparently it's a lower body injury, which in reality, had nothing to do with the fact that he had his helmet off, and little to do with being tossed to the ice. Panarin got hurt because he tried to contain a pissed off player that is a heck of a lot bigger and stronger than him, and the league has decided that they're not going to punish guys for being too big.

In a situation like this, there are always calls to "suspend the act, not the outcome".... but it's not that simple. Take the flip-side example of Alex Edler - Zach Hyman -- and this coming from a Leafs fan. Edler is at the end of a 3-minute shift, going for a hit with a wide stance. His right knee goes out as he tries to turn to meet Hyman, who's changing direction. Hyman tries to get out of the way and gets caught in a bad way. Edler's "actions" are probably something that happen several times each and every night for every team in the league. Typically player takes their bump, game moves on. You'll suspend half the league trying to prevent that "act" from taking place.

Ultimately, with the emphasis on head injuries and concussions, I think a hybrid approach needs to be taken. The league (and I'm not sure a former fighter is the right guy to lead this charge, probably better to be a non-player who can set an objective criteria for what is acceptable) has to create an "exclusion zone" around players heads when it comes to extracurricular activities, especially in vulnerable positions.

You want to get in a wrestling match with a guy like Crosby did tonight? go for it. You want to both drop the gloves and fight? go for it.

Guy's hacking at your goalie trying to put a puck in? cross check him in the back. You want to punch him or cross-check him in the back of the head? you're gone.

Get tired of the wrestling match, let the refs blow it dead. You want to shove a guy's head towards the ice? you're gone.

You want to tie up a guy after a whistle? go for it. You pull off his helmet? you're gone. You want to throw a guy to the ice? you better make damn well sure that he's going knees or backside first, not head first.

Not everything needs to be handled by the DOPS after the fact. Why not make any head or face shots an instant game misconduct and stop using "roughing" as the appropriate penalty for it.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
There is no rule, or precedent about punching/shoving a guy head first to the ice. To be honest, I'm not sure I've heard of an injury coming from this since Bertuzzi-Moore..

Thornton-Orpik.

I'm seriously beginning to think I'm the only one who remembers that incident...

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Hire someone like Kevin Bieksa. Though I would hate to lose his voice as a media personality.

Piss off.

Bieksa was a dirtbag player and would be more of the same.

They should hire a guy like Mario or Paul Kariya to run DOPS and set the guidance on offciating. Guys with talent that had to put up with lesser players trying to drag them down nightly.

Then we might see some real change.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Piss off.

Bieksa was a dirtbag player and would be more of the same.

They should hire a guy like Mario or Paul Kariya to run DOPS and set the guidance on offciating. Guys with talent that had to put up with lesser players trying to drag them down nightly.

Then we might see some real change.

Don't mind him - he hates Horvat but loves Jim Benning. He's a Jim Benning fan and not a Canuck fan so he's not representative of our fanbase.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The DOPS should be a group of dudes and ice girls with cattle prods. They should jump on the ice during scrums and herd opposition players away from each other.

giphy.gif

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Put someone who isn't a caveman in charge. Maybe someone who has played this decade and had to quit due to past failures.

Throw some refs on there too. Make refs do press conferences after games where this shit happens and have them express their views publicly like everyone else.

And raise the fines.
As a start, fines should be a percentage of the salary, not peanuts. Like 1-5% of the salary, that would be a fine that actually brings a message. A $5000 is nothing for a NHL player and it's not equal for a guy earning $750k compared to earning millions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad