How would you fix the DOPS?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by frederixx, May 4, 2021.

1. SnuggaRUDE Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    That's a reasonable argument, but if the teams wanted this to go in different direction Bettman isn't going to sacrifice himself to save Campbell.

Tryamw and DaveG like this.
  2. bossram Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    100%. It's only now, agonizingly slowly, that the NHL is starting to break away from the same uneducated group of 200 hockey men making moronic decisions.

DOPS should 100% be made up of an independent panel of experts, but the OBC are going to fight tooth and nail to keep their power. Because as soon as they give it up, they know they'll be exposed as the buffoons they are.

Eisen likes this.
  3. TLEHMANN Party like Kaner

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Has it been 3 threads long? It’s always more like “the DoPS is a joke” and then move on. There are people looking a lot deeper this time and, in my opinion, you shrug aside a disgusting play to talk about the game as a whole. We aren’t talking about officiating or cross checks or whatever. We are talking about Tom Wilson and his disgusting behavior.

4. smack66 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    if you have more former players speak out like John Scott did they will do something. NHL doesnt want negative media attention. Hopefully this decision ends up burning them and Parros is fired in the off season

5. SotasicA Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I'd let the players settle their own beef. Remove the instigator penalty and grab your popcorn.

6. stringunspecified Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    All I'm saying is that Bettman came in to the league, and had to deal with the Dale Hunter issue, and then he hired Burke as insulation. Then Campbell, and here we are. He could never deal with the hockey side. He has no vision. So, he hired standard hockey types to keep a lid on criticism. He's a finance & marketing guy. He's an incomplete leader. That's the problem in my opinion. A CEO has to be more than that.

7. SnuggaRUDE Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Rollerball is a chilling tale of Oligarchical power and the dangers of control. Some people just want to know when season tickets go on sale.

8. Eisen Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It needs to be independent from the league. Otherwise, perceived business interests are conflicting with player safety. The league will never put a guy like Kariya in there.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  9. Ugene Malkin Russian Bear

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Do they not bring in independent arbitrators for contract disputes?

Process is simple... and never use the same arbitrator for every incidence.

10. ScaryCarey31 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Are the rangers gonna call the cops or..???

11. Frenzy31 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    To really fix the DoPS, you need to have formalized rules. You do x, you get Y.

IE. for a head shot, auto 3 games. Then an additional 3 for every repeat offender.

It should be spelled out black and white. Yet they can’t do that. No one knows who is going to get what...

Also, it should not have to do with any injury. If the guys misses 5 games or 0, the results should be the same.

Yes there will also be unusual thing like what happened last night, but then once they establish the rule they should hold onto it.

12. Chimpradamus Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Cat herder
    You can't. The festering corpse of Colin Campbell and all the despicable, obnoxious, idiotic or even corrupt decisions he has made over personal-, promotional- or profitable reasons that have nothing to do with the actual sport are still there. You cannot change an entertainment industry into a legit, real sport by changing a certain department out of the entire organization. The refs are game managers. The NHL pretends to host a sports league. The franchises pretend to be sports clubs while they're just franchise companies selling entertainment. They could just as well be a circus franchise. The players actually try to play hockey though. That's the only contact surface you get to actual hockey if you watch the NHL. The rest of it is a complete corporate, franchise, entertainment industry that earns money out of the entertainment product they call hockey. The hell with everything else but profits as long as the public believes it's actual hockey. Which is losing its grasp more and more btw.

The NHL is a dead end and it's so sad this entertainment industry could grab such a hold on the balls of the entire sport. It's a travesty for the sport.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Nut Upstrom and mrhockey193195 like this.
  13. SI90 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    absolutely ridiculous. I’d be livid if I was a player. This guys gonna end someone’s career one day.

CLW likes this.
  14. Nut Upstrom Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Based on who has typically held this position, Wilson is compiling A nice resume.

15. Korg My name is Korg; I'm made of rocks.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Colin Campbell is issue, always has been, always will be.

Panda Bear likes this.
  16. Panda Bear Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Not just any players either. It's got to be guys with some amount of resentment (but not too much like Kariya) who aren't too traumatized (like Savard), which leaves you with Andy McDonald.

17. Karl Eriksson Boring!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    “A judgement went against me or my interests so the system must be broken”

18. Sparksrus3 " Complete Autonomy from A to Z" Love Ya Lou.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

With what happened and the Rangers not having anyone to battle him I would not have been surprised if one of the Rags players went (Chris Simon on Ryan Holleweg ) or (Marty McSorley on Donald Brashear ) in the moment just to put him down ....

19. canadianmagpie Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 0
    Institute mandatory suspensions for offences that can be scaled up for repeat offenders.

For example: Mike Richards knocked out David Booth with this hit

Was not suspended even though the head was targeted and could have gotten a game or two at the time. But because he was seen as a star, he was given a pass. What happens a little bit later?

Huge cry out for Cooke to be suspended but the DoPS couldn't because they gave Richards a pass for the same hit (plus Campbell wasn't a fan of Savard).

However, if you take the punishment out of the hands of the DoPS by instituting a minimum punishment (for a blindside hit = 3 games), then if McDavid or an AHL call up commits the crime, they get equal punishments. Then if they do it again, then the punishment is doubled.

20. CLW Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Get the troglodytes out of the DoPS. Having goons there is as useful as having arsonists in the fire brigade.

Implement an exponential punishment system. Third strike and you are out for the season. Four strikes and you are out forever. No more limp slaps on the wrist.

21. AlexBrovechkin8 Playoff chokers, they said.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    This thread is about the DoPS and how it should be fixed so that's what we're talking about, no? This isn't a Tom Wilson thread? The videos right above my post are of Mike Richards and Matt Cooke. And I'm not shrugging aside anything -- I am stating what the DoPS said when they announced their fine so my commentary was based on the OP's question of how I would change the situation.

To your other point, at a quick glance there are 403 pages in this forum with "DoPS" in the thread title with such titles as, "DoPS (in)consistency," "Has the DoPS ever been view favorably?," "DoPS Parody," "Player X goes off on DoPS," etc. And I didn't even search for actual incidents. I guess those are just the threads where people move on but this time it's serious? Not sure I buy that. Seems more like recency bias to me, and it's a bit ironic that you said people are looking "a lot deeper this time" and I'm giving my commentary on why I think this issue is deeper than the DoPS but you think I'm brushing stuff aside.

22. SI90 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    No one would feel bad if that happened but that’s not the answer either. But when the nhl doesn’t handle things the players feel like they need to on their own.

I’m shocked there isn’t more outrage over this. Shoving people’s heads into the ice is bad. And then when he grabbed Panarin he’s lucky Panarins head didn’t hit the ice. Don’t think people fully grasp the fact that could lead to death.

23. Ace Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I’d put a rational person in charge of it who gives a f*** about player safety instead of cycling through guys who have been part of an outdated culture they were raised in decades ago

24. Sicko The Day Man. Fighter of the Nightman

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Having former players is a must but they should be the minority of the department not the majority. Have medical experts and injury auditors and release more black and white ruling.

FireDavidQuinn likes this.
  25. Score8 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Step 3. Make brain damage a disqualifying condition to work in dops.