How would you fix the DOPS?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Old boys club, out of all professional sports, it is the oldest and the boysiest lol.

How long has the league had that coach carousel? Just get fired and switch. Former players in every front office GMs, coaches, personal, P.A. NO OUTSIDERS ALLOWED.

It's only just starting to change.

It should be a panel including an outside doctor sports physician, old players, refs and maybe a lawyer lol.

100%. It's only now, agonizingly slowly, that the NHL is starting to break away from the same uneducated group of 200 hockey men making moronic decisions.

DOPS should 100% be made up of an independent panel of experts, but the OBC are going to fight tooth and nail to keep their power. Because as soon as they give it up, they know they'll be exposed as the buffoons they are.

Reactions: Eisen

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yeah, you're right -- this is the first time people have been upset with the DoPS and it's the first time people have discussed what needs to be done to have more consistency from the DoPS. Carry on.
Has it been 3 threads long? It’s always more like “the DoPS is a joke” and then move on. There are people looking a lot deeper this time and, in my opinion, you shrug aside a disgusting play to talk about the game as a whole. We aren’t talking about officiating or cross checks or whatever. We are talking about Tom Wilson and his disgusting behavior.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
if you have more former players speak out like John Scott did they will do something. NHL doesnt want negative media attention. Hopefully this decision ends up burning them and Parros is fired in the off season

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The Obvious answer is to get rid of fraud like Parros, but another goon will probably take over. What would be a permanent solution?
I'd let the players settle their own beef. Remove the instigator penalty and grab your popcorn.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That's a reasonable argument, but if the teams wanted this to go in different direction Bettman isn't going to sacrifice himself to save Campbell.

All I'm saying is that Bettman came in to the league, and had to deal with the Dale Hunter issue, and then he hired Burke as insulation. Then Campbell, and here we are. He could never deal with the hockey side. He has no vision. So, he hired standard hockey types to keep a lid on criticism. He's a finance & marketing guy. He's an incomplete leader. That's the problem in my opinion. A CEO has to be more than that.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'd let the players settle their own beef. Remove the instigator penalty and grab your popcorn.

Rollerball is a chilling tale of Oligarchical power and the dangers of control. Some people just want to know when season tickets go on sale.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The Obvious answer is to get rid of fraud like Parros, but another goon will probably take over. What would be a permanent solution?
It needs to be independent from the league. Otherwise, perceived business interests are conflicting with player safety. The league will never put a guy like Kariya in there.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Do they not bring in independent arbitrators for contract disputes?

Process is simple... and never use the same arbitrator for every incidence.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
To really fix the DoPS, you need to have formalized rules. You do x, you get Y.

IE. for a head shot, auto 3 games. Then an additional 3 for every repeat offender.

It should be spelled out black and white. Yet they can’t do that. No one knows who is going to get what...

Also, it should not have to do with any injury. If the guys misses 5 games or 0, the results should be the same.

Yes there will also be unusual thing like what happened last night, but then once they establish the rule they should hold onto it.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You can't. The festering corpse of Colin Campbell and all the despicable, obnoxious, idiotic or even corrupt decisions he has made over personal-, promotional- or profitable reasons that have nothing to do with the actual sport are still there. You cannot change an entertainment industry into a legit, real sport by changing a certain department out of the entire organization. The refs are game managers. The NHL pretends to host a sports league. The franchises pretend to be sports clubs while they're just franchise companies selling entertainment. They could just as well be a circus franchise. The players actually try to play hockey though. That's the only contact surface you get to actual hockey if you watch the NHL. The rest of it is a complete corporate, franchise, entertainment industry that earns money out of the entertainment product they call hockey. The hell with everything else but profits as long as the public believes it's actual hockey. Which is losing its grasp more and more btw.

The NHL is a dead end and it's so sad this entertainment industry could grab such a hold on the balls of the entire sport. It's a travesty for the sport.

Last edited:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Wait til Tom Wilson retires from hockey and give him the position.

he has been involved in hits on both ends - and been treated fairly and very unfairly (most times) - like this season when he was first player in nhl history to get suspended for that kind of hit.

He’s a smart guy, physical and understands the game, a winner who has been involved in regular season games, Stanley cup games, etc.

not trying to troll. He’d be great at it. He has seen all sides and been treated more unfair than any player in dops history. He knows more than anyone at this point.
Based on who has typically held this position, Wilson is compiling A nice resume.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
hire a panel of people to make decisions that includes a sports physician, maybe 1-2 players, and then former referees or something similar. Having a random former player as the head of the dept is the issue. These guys are not qualified to be in the position they're in
Not just any players either. It's got to be guys with some amount of resentment (but not too much like Kariya) who aren't too traumatized (like Savard), which leaves you with Andy McDonald.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
absolutely ridiculous. I’d be livid if I was a player. This guys gonna end someone’s career one day.

With what happened and the Rangers not having anyone to battle him I would not have been surprised if one of the Rags players went (Chris Simon on Ryan Holleweg ) or (Marty McSorley on Donald Brashear ) in the moment just to put him down ....

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Institute mandatory suspensions for offences that can be scaled up for repeat offenders.

For example: Mike Richards knocked out David Booth with this hit

Was not suspended even though the head was targeted and could have gotten a game or two at the time. But because he was seen as a star, he was given a pass. What happens a little bit later?

Huge cry out for Cooke to be suspended but the DoPS couldn't because they gave Richards a pass for the same hit (plus Campbell wasn't a fan of Savard).

However, if you take the punishment out of the hands of the DoPS by instituting a minimum punishment (for a blindside hit = 3 games), then if McDavid or an AHL call up commits the crime, they get equal punishments. Then if they do it again, then the punishment is doubled.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Get the troglodytes out of the DoPS. Having goons there is as useful as having arsonists in the fire brigade.

Implement an exponential punishment system. Third strike and you are out for the season. Four strikes and you are out forever. No more limp slaps on the wrist.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Has it been 3 threads long? It’s always more like “the DoPS is a joke” and then move on. There are people looking a lot deeper this time and, in my opinion, you shrug aside a disgusting play to talk about the game as a whole. We aren’t talking about officiating or cross checks or whatever. We are talking about Tom Wilson and his disgusting behavior.
This thread is about the DoPS and how it should be fixed so that's what we're talking about, no? This isn't a Tom Wilson thread? The videos right above my post are of Mike Richards and Matt Cooke. And I'm not shrugging aside anything -- I am stating what the DoPS said when they announced their fine so my commentary was based on the OP's question of how I would change the situation.

To your other point, at a quick glance there are 403 pages in this forum with "DoPS" in the thread title with such titles as, "DoPS (in)consistency," "Has the DoPS ever been view favorably?," "DoPS Parody," "Player X goes off on DoPS," etc. And I didn't even search for actual incidents. I guess those are just the threads where people move on but this time it's serious? Not sure I buy that. Seems more like recency bias to me, and it's a bit ironic that you said people are looking "a lot deeper this time" and I'm giving my commentary on why I think this issue is deeper than the DoPS but you think I'm brushing stuff aside.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
With what happened and the Rangers not having anyone to battle him I would not have been surprised if one of the Rags players went (Chris Simon on Ryan Holleweg ) or (Marty McSorley on Donald Brashear ) in the moment just to put him down ....

No one would feel bad if that happened but that’s not the answer either. But when the nhl doesn’t handle things the players feel like they need to on their own.

I’m shocked there isn’t more outrage over this. Shoving people’s heads into the ice is bad. And then when he grabbed Panarin he’s lucky Panarins head didn’t hit the ice. Don’t think people fully grasp the fact that could lead to death.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’d put a rational person in charge of it who gives a f*** about player safety instead of cycling through guys who have been part of an outdated culture they were raised in decades ago

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Having former players is a must but they should be the minority of the department not the majority. Have medical experts and injury auditors and release more black and white ruling.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Step 1 - Fire George Parros and anyone else who currently works for the DoPS who made a career out of being a useless goon or dirty player

Step 2 - Don't replace him with someone who made a career out of being a useless goon or dirty player.

Step 3. Make brain damage a disqualifying condition to work in dops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->