How would you fix the DOPS?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Blow it up! Not great, not terrible, but it is a solution :dunno:

Honestly though, no idea. Hard to answer without actually polling players because what appears to not work for fans may be considered acceptable by them. Do we really know how much they want the game policed? I dont.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I think they need to stop considering injury as part of the equation. I see multiple hits in the year that get nothing because the guy pops right back up and plays on. A dangerous hit is just that, we shouldn't have to wait until someone ends up in a wheelchair before the league does something.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
hire a panel of people to make decisions that includes a sports physician, maybe 1-2 players, and then former referees or something similar. Having a random former player as the head of the dept is the issue. These guys are not qualified to be in the position they're in

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
hire a panel of people to make decisions that includes a sports physician, maybe 1-2 players, and then former referees or something similar. Having a random former as the head of the dept is the issue. These guys are not qualified to be in the position they're in

This is the preferable way. It should be a committee. Not some random ex-goon.

The NHL is just bizarre when it comes to stuff like this.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
These kinds of scenarios with Wilson and Cooke are just proof that advertisers barely give a shit about the NHL. More money on the line would change things quickly. I don't mind a heavy game but stop protecting these guys vs. the Savards, Karlssons, Panarins, etc. Know who pays your bills.

It's just a reflection of the weak, low quality ownership base.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
All the media freaks out about this but none of them said a word when Kadri skated up to a guy and crosschecked him in the face.

Then they cried when he got 3-5 games "because he was sticking up for a teammate".

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Blow it up! Not great, not terrible, but it is a solution :dunno:

Honestly though, no idea. Hard to answer without actually polling players because what appears to not work for fans may be considered acceptable by them. Do we really know how much they want the game policed? I dont.

I see the reference there lol.

Reactions: North Cole

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This is the preferable way. It should be a committee. Not some random ex-goon.

The NHL is just bizarre when it comes to stuff like this.
To be fair, Parros is the senior vice president of player safety and head of the Department of Player Safety, but there is a whole department below him; he does not make unilateral decisions on each matter of discipline. He, of course, sets the tone, but there's a whole group of individuals are who completely in line with it all, and have been for years, under other heads, as well.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
anything resembling consistency would be nice
Easier said than done. This is an issue in every sport. What are the rules? I would love to see a poster on here create specific rules. I think they would find that it is way harder than you would think.

Reactions: DaveG

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
All the media freaks out about this but none of them said a word when Kadri skated up to a guy and crosschecked him in the face.

Then they cried when he got 3-5 games "because he was sticking up for a teammate".
Not sure what you are remembering, but Kadri got raked through the coals in the media, and was ultimately traded by his team because of it

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Wait til Tom Wilson retires from hockey and give him the position.

he has been involved in hits on both ends - and been treated fairly and very unfairly (most times) - like this season when he was first player in nhl history to get suspended for that kind of hit.

He’s a smart guy, physical and understands the game, a winner who has been involved in regular season games, Stanley cup games, etc.

not trying to troll. He’d be great at it. He has seen all sides and been treated more unfair than any player in dops history. He knows more than anyone at this point.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
No one go to the caps board rn. Like I get it’s kinda fun to be the bad guy, but honestly it’s kinda gross reading the conversation there. I’d like to think if tkachuk did this I wouldn’t be defending this type of behaviour.

Reactions: Beville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad