How would Peter Forsberg perform in today’s game at his peak?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Please tell us more about Crosby Malkin and Ovechkin, fascinating discussion. Forsberg would chew them up and spit them out.
Based on what? His two point art Ross win? It’s already ridiculous to compare him to Crosby or Ovechkin. I will embrace a discussion with Malkin but even then... malkin likely has the upper hand. Crosby and Forsberg both had injury issues but Crosby still has accomplished a ton more..

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Based on what? His two point art Ross win? It’s already ridiculous to compare him to Crosby or Ovechkin. I will embrace a discussion with Malkin but even then... malkin likely has the upper hand. Crosby and Forsberg both had injury issues but Crosby still has accomplished a ton more..

Who cares about trophies when comparing over different eras? Think dynasties from the 50's and 60's would take out the Hawks or Pens during their recent peaks because they won more Cups? Crosby, Ovi, and Malkin have more accomplishments because they don't have to compete against a Prime Forsberg.

Reactions: MacBradley

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Is Ovechkin not in the nhl? Regardless who was 2nd place Crosby still won it over Ovechkin... also Crosby was not a finalist in 07-08 or 08-09. So by your criteria Ovechkin has won 1 Lindsay over Crosby
I mean when I say “over”, I meant they both had equally impactful seasons(‘09 and ‘10) and Ovechkin won it OVER Crosby.

I mean I don’t see people saying Kane won a scoring title or Hart over Pavelski. Ovechkin wasn’t in the running or even close in 2014, which is why saying he won it “over him” seems unnecessary. Maybe it’s me, I’m just saying.

My whole point is picking the most arbitrary things to praise Crosby for simply because Ovechkin didn’t do it.

Who cares about trophies when comparing over different eras? Think dynasties from the 50's and 60's would take out the Hawks or Pens during their recent peaks because they won more Cups? Crosby, Ovi, and Malkin have more accomplishments because they don't have to compete against a Prime Forsberg.
The top end talent is definitely weaker, but those three would be stellar in any era really. If Forsberg was healthy and in his prime during this era, there’s no doubt he would be up there with them.....maybe above them, I think what everyone is wondering is if there would be any significant gap between them.

I mean if you look at the “big 3” during Forsbergs era, IMO it was Jagr, Sakic, and Forsberg.....yes Lemieux played still, but he was in and out of the league and dealing with injuries, although still dominating. It’s very similar to Ovi, Malkin, and Crosby.....but we also saw Jagr, Sakic, AND Forsberg do extremely well in post lockout hockey.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I mean when I say “over”, I meant they both had equally impactful seasons(‘09 and ‘10) and Ovechkin won it OVER Crosby.

I mean I don’t see people saying Kane won a scoring title or Hart over Pavelski. Ovechkin wasn’t in the running or even close in 2014, which is why saying he won it “over him” seems unnecessary. Maybe it’s me, I’m just saying.

My whole point is picking the most arbitrary things to praise Crosby for simply because Ovechkin didn’t do it.

The top end talent is definitely weaker, but those three would be stellar in any era really. If Forsberg was healthy and in his prime during this era, there’s no doubt he would be up there with them.....maybe above them, I think what everyone is wondering is if there would be any significant gap between them.

I mean if you look at the “big 3” during Forsbergs era, IMO it was Jagr, Sakic, and Forsberg.....yes Lemieux played still, but he was in and out of the league and dealing with injuries, although still dominating. It’s very similar to Ovi, Malkin, and Crosby.....but we also saw Jagr, Sakic, AND Forsberg do extremely well in post lockout hockey.
You just pointed out the difference between sid and ov. Crosby is always right there at the top. Sure he might lose but he is still elite.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You just pointed out the difference between sid and ov. Crosby is always right there at the top. Sure he might lose but he is still elite.
And Ovi is still elite as well. Is he as consistent? No he isn’t, and he does get flack for that. The biggest difference between the two is Ovi had the better/higher peak while Crosby has had better consistency. Although Ovechkin has continued to be the best goal scorer in the league, which is still an elite level of consistency.

Forsberg was just as consistent as Crosby, he just wasn’t healthy enough to put full seasons together in general.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
And Ovi is still elite as well. Is he as consistent? No he isn’t, and he does get flack for that. The biggest difference between the two is Ovi had the better/higher peak while Crosby has had better consistency. Although Ovechkin has continued to be the best goal scorer in the league, which is still an elite level of consistency.

Forsberg was just as consistent as Crosby, he just wasn’t healthy enough to put full seasons together in general.
False. Crosby has superior ppg finishes than Forsberg. Crosby would have been top 3 in scoring for 11 straight seasons based on ppg

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

What a well thought out argument.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
False. Crosby has superior ppg finishes than Forsberg. Crosby would have been top 3 in scoring for 11 straight seasons based on ppg
Why do you continuously change the argument? I never said Forsberg was superior or had a better PPG resume, all I said is he has been just as consistent.

Why you get so bent out of shape and jump to a certain conclusion that wasn’t argued or said is beyond me. You don’t always have to defend Crosby for every single thing. I know your very emotionally attached to his persona, but come on.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Why do you continuously change the argument? I never said Forsberg was superior or had a better PPG resume, all I said is he has been just as consistent.

Why you get so bent out of shape and jump to a certain conclusion that wasn’t argued or said is beyond me. You don’t always have to defend Crosby for every single thing. I know your very emotionally attached to his persona, but come on.
You said he was as consistent. Which I just showed you he was not.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
His career PPG is nearly on point in Crosby’s. All I said is he was just as consistent in terms of production during his playing days, your the one who got offended and decided to pop off and go “NO HES NOT!!! CROSBYS BETTER!!!!”

Forsberg sits 2nd in PPG from ‘95-‘07 with a 1.25. Jagr is First with an incredible 1.38. Crosby sits at 1.28......is the difference really that bizarre to you? When your 2nd in PPG through our nearly your whole career with a similar PPG to Crosby, who is first.....I mean that’s not similar in consistency?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Think Claude Giroux but much better in both ends of the ice
I like the comparison but much better in both ends of the ice than Giroux is easily the best player in hockey.. so no. Giroux has been a better offensive player in the NHL relative to his peers than Forsberg.

I'd say Forsberg would be a slightly better version of Giroux, offensively and defensively both very marginally.

Giroux from most recent to rookie, 6 top 10 finishes, 3 top 5 in 10 seasons.

2nd
T-46th
19th
T-10th
3rd
T-13th (lockout season)
3rd
7th (missed 5 games PPG had him 3rd)
T-10th
110th, Rookie year

Forsberg, it's unfair to list all of his seasons like I did Giroux because Forsberg couldn't stay as healthy and didn't play thru injury quite like Giroux has so I'll just list his top 10 scoring seasons.

02-03' 1st
00"-01' 10th
98'-99" 4th
97'-98' 2nd
96-97' T-10th
95'-96' 6th

In 15 NHL seasons Forsberg has 6 top 10 seasons, 3 top 5.... EXACTLY the same count Giroux has had in 10 seasons... its very likely Giroux has another 3 or 4 top 10 scoring seasons in front of him.

Claude Giroux is again, criminally, absurdly underrated.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I think forsberg is Crosby and Crosby is forsberg...

Very similar styles, very similar talent. If forsberg had of sorted his feet out he would rank much higher in nhl lore

Reactions: GreatGonzo

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Stats that put Giroux anywhere even remotely in the same conversation as Forsberg pretty much shows how useless it is to compare stats over different eras. Giroux on his best day would be 1/100th of Prime Forsberg.

Reactions: JFG

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
The most fascinating thing is that foppa scored 30 goals twice and never more then 30

Last edited:
Reactions: Ageless

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
In 05-06 he scored 75 points in 60 games which was later on in his career

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Peter would dominate because no one and I mean no one in this League right now would be able to handle him down low with the rules called so tight .

Reactions: Catch22

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Different times.Crosby would have been hurt because in them days they put physical beatings on you without penalties being called.Its why Peters careeer was short.Think Scott Stevens bud.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He is a top 3 player in the league. Without question. The gap between Crosby in his prime, and Forsberg in his 30s, with a ton of injury problems, really isn't that large..... Forsberg was a PPG+ player all throughout his 30s.... He was a fantastic talent.

8th all time in PPG in the regular season. 1.250. Crosby is 1.292.

4th all time in APG at .898. Behind only Orr, Lemieux, and Gretzky. (He's one of the best passers of ALL TIME)

Get real people.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Prime Forsberg on an middle of the pack playoff team or strong contender would be the most impactful player in the game right now nobody compares if you account for position.

Bar None

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Peak Forsberg would be in the conversation with McDavid and Crosby as the best player in the world.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Did you know that one game prior to Crosby passing Lemieux in playoff points this spring, he stood at exactly the same amount of games and points as Forsberg - 171 in 151 games, while Peter had more goals - in the dead puck era. No? Ah, no surprises there.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I like the comparison but much better in both ends of the ice than Giroux is easily the best player in hockey.. so no. Giroux has been a better offensive player in the NHL relative to his peers than Forsberg.

I'd say Forsberg would be a slightly better version of Giroux, offensively and defensively both very marginally.

Giroux from most recent to rookie, 6 top 10 finishes, 3 top 5 in 10 seasons.

2nd
T-46th
19th
T-10th
3rd
T-13th (lockout season)
3rd
7th (missed 5 games PPG had him 3rd)
T-10th
110th, Rookie year

Forsberg, it's unfair to list all of his seasons like I did Giroux because Forsberg couldn't stay as healthy and didn't play thru injury quite like Giroux has so I'll just list his top 10 scoring seasons.

02-03' 1st
00"-01' 10th
98'-99" 4th
97'-98' 2nd
96-97' T-10th
95'-96' 6th

In 15 NHL seasons Forsberg has 6 top 10 seasons, 3 top 5.... EXACTLY the same count Giroux has had in 10 seasons... its very likely Giroux has another 3 or 4 top 10 scoring seasons in front of him.

Claude Giroux is again, criminally, absurdly underrated.
Spoken like someone that didnt even watch the NHL back then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad