How would Peter Forsberg perform in today’s game at his peak?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Again? Why? Because you say so? You keep using the word “fact” as if it has no argument the other way around. I mean if you want to go by technicality, they both did.....my question is why is Crosby getting the number one spot? Why doesn’t Zetterbergs 7 more goals matter?
Here’s the thing. I never said Zetterberg didn’t lead the playoffs in scoring either. They both tied for the lead. Therefore both led with 27 points. So Sidney Crosby has led the playoffs in scoring before. In fact he’s the youngest player in history to ever do it.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Forsberg would be one of the best in the league... when healthy :sarcasm:

I'd put prime Forsberg right there with prime Lindros. Both were fantastic beasts. Both would do great today and challenge for the league lead in points. Both ended up getting derailed eventually with ouchies. (forsberg did win a lot more stuff FWIW)

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
He'd be one of the very best in the leagues. He was the complete package.

Great offensively, great defensively, great skater (before his foot woes ofc), great hitter and no one wanted to win more than him (yeah I know it's cliché but i's definately fitting) and one of the best post season players we've seen.

Reactions: crossbownerf

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Forsberg was a magnificent player. Justice would be served if shift-by-shift video of some of his games was available online. He was an incredible possession player -- smart, powerful along the boards, shifty on his skates, excellent with the puck, and extremely poised.

Here's a four-minute video of some of his shifts from Game 1 of the 1996 Western Conference Finals vs Detroit.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Here’s the thing. I never said Zetterberg didn’t lead the playoffs in scoring either. They both tied for the lead. Therefore both led with 27 points. So Sidney Crosby has led the playoffs in scoring before. In fact he’s the youngest player in history to ever do it.
Still debatable but that’s just my opinion. All in all, hes an incredible playoff performer, and Forsberg was on the same level.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Forsberg is not any better offensively then kucherov has been the last two years. Career wise he has a lot to do

Crosby has (4) 20+ point playoff performances

Forsberg only has 3 in an era with no cap and a powerhouse roster and 0 conn Smythe

wA9dmfd.png

Reactions: GreatGonzo

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Which player today has the same package as Forsberg had in his prime?

There in no one.

He dominated every level and event he competed in.

SHL, WJC, NHL, WC, Olympics.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Forsberg was a magnificent player. Justice would be served if shift-by-shift video of some of his games was available online. He was an incredible possession player -- smart, powerful along the boards, shifty on his skates, excellent with the puck, and extremely poised.

Here's a four-minute video of some of his shifts from Game 1 of the 1996 Western Conference Finals vs Detroit.

Haha...Jesus Christ, look at what they got away with when trying to stop him. Today there would've been 30 penalties just from this clip alone.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby is getting overrated as hell here

another level than Malkin and Ovechkin?

Gimme a break, these guys at their peaks had hairs seperating them

At their peaks? I have to disagree.

Ovechkin's peak is higher than Crosby's and it's pretty clear. Crosby does not have a season that is comparable to Ovechkin's 65 goal season, or even his 56 goal season.

Crosby's best peak season is 2010, and Ovechkin tied him in points while playing 10 fewer games. This is Ovechkin's 3rd best season.

Malkin's 2012 season is also clearly above any season Crosby has ever played.

Last edited:

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Which player today has the same package as Forsberg had in his prime?

There in no one.

I'd argue that Malkin comes closest in terms of centermen with the combination of size and skill to dominate any opponent, especially when playing angry. He has another level that he occasionally can get to where he's the best player in the world, even above his teammate Crosby.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

Ovechkin's peak is higher than Crosby's and it's pretty clear. Crosby does not have a season that is comparable to Ovechkin's 65 goal season, or even his 56 goal season.

Crosby's best peak season is 2010, and Ovechkin tied him in points while playing 10 fewer games.

To be fair, Ovechkins peak is clearly superior.....but let’s not forget that Crosby’s peak was cut short due to injuries. Who knows how dominant he would have been and what awards he would have walked away with. Definitely a couple of Scoring titles, Hart’s, maybe a Rocket between 2011-13. I don’t like to give him credit for that, because Ovechkin from 2008-10 was incredible, among the best peaks.

I agree though, Malkins 2012 season as a single season rivals both of them.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Haha...Jesus Christ, look at what they got away with when trying to stop him. Today there would've been 30 penalties just from this clip alone.

To be fair there were actually more penalties being called around that time than in this era. They still got away with more though.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013

Crosby's best peak season is 2010, and Ovechkin tied him in points while playing 10 fewer games. This is Ovechkin's 3rd best season.

Let me know when Ovechkin wins an art Ross by 17 points.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I'd argue that Malkin comes closest in terms of centermen with the combination of size and skill to dominate any opponent, especially when playing angry. He has another level that he occasionally can get to where he's the best player in the world, even above his teammate Crosby.
A 10-11 Crosby says hi

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
A 10-11 Crosby says hi
Your giving credit to Crosby for something he clearly didn’t do. Would it have been dominant? Yes absolutely, but it wasn’t. Malkins is clearly superior and it isn’t close. Mainly because it was actually a full season for the most part and he finished at the top, for Crosby, all it is is a what could have been.

Who knows, I doubt Crosby would have kept up that pace. Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have been dominant, but Ovechkin in 2010 was a MONSTER and was at a similar pace(41-30-35-65).

You have to give Malkin the nod. He got it done.
Let me know when Ovechkin wins an art Ross by 17 points.
I mean Ovechkin won 3 Lindsay’s in a row......2 over Crosby.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Your giving credit to Crosby for something he clearly didn’t do. Would it have been dominant? Yes absolutely, but it wasn’t. Malkins is clearly superior and it isn’t close. Mainly because it was actually a full season for the most part and he finished at the top, for Crosby, all it is is a what could have been.

Who knows, I doubt Crosby would have kept up that pace. Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have been dominant, but Ovechkin in 2010 was a MONSTER and was at a similar pace(41-30-35-65).

You have to give Malkin the nod. He got it done.

I mean Ovechkin won 3 Lindsay’s in a row......2 over Crosby.
Crosby won 2 Lindsay’s in a row against Ovechkin as well...

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Please tell us more about Crosby Malkin and Ovechkin, fascinating discussion. Forsberg would chew them up and spit them out.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
My point is your nitpicking ridiculous things. Does it matter if Ovechkin never won a Ross by 17?

He won one over Ovi by the way. 2013.
Is Ovechkin not in the nhl? Regardless who was 2nd place Crosby still won it over Ovechkin... also Crosby was not a finalist in 07-08 or 08-09. So by your criteria Ovechkin has won 1 Lindsay over Crosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad