How would Peter Forsberg perform in today’s game at his peak?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Crosby and Malkin's peak play is higher, offense-wise anyways, and Crosby is simply on another level from Malkin. Malkin and Forsberg are a better comparable.
That’s ridiculous. At their best they are basically even. Malkin has out produced Crosby multiple times, and when Crosby was hurt, Malkin was dominant. What hurts Malkin is is injuries which have costed him some great seasons, which makes people believe this idea that Crosby is so much better, he isn’t. Consistent? Sure, but he isn’t on another level.

Malkin is arguably better than Crosby at their best. What a silly thing to say.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crosby’s clearly a better goal scorer and Forsbergs clearly a better playmaker. Obviously the gap for goal scoring is a lot bigger but just because he’s a inferior goal scorer doesn’t mean he’s a clear step below those guys. With all due respect to Hejduk he turned Hejduk into a 50 goal guy, who the f cares if he tops out at 30 goals if he’s setting his linemates up for 50
Forsberg had a ppg 1.28 in a lower scoring era, that’s roughly around crosby’s and above Malkin and Ovi. His playoff stats are close to Malkin and Crosby and a lot better than Ovi’s.
Why is it so hard to accept that he maybe, just MAYBE be on the same level as those guys?

His playoff stats are arguably better, better than Malkin's actually and roughly equal with Crosby. That's not even considering how he was a clear step above them in defense and physical play. Neither were better playoff performers overall than Forsberg was and I'd go as far as to say that's more of a fact than an opinion.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Forsberg is not any better offensively then kucherov has been the last two years. Career wise he has a lot to do

Crosby has (4) 20+ point playoff performances

Forsberg only has 3 in an era with no cap and a powerhouse roster and 0 conn Smythe

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Forsberg is not any better offensively then kucherov has been the last two years. Career wise he has a lot to do

Forsberg only has 3 in an era with no cap and a powerhouse roster and 0 conn Smythe
How many players in history have three or more 27+ point runs? Runs of 27 27 31 point playoffs are huge for Crosby’s legacy. And 21 in 12 certainly doesn’t hurt either

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

So much spot picking on one post.

Look, of course Crosby has been more accomplished and was dominant for a lot longer. But Forsberg isn’t any better offensively than Kucherov? He’s arguably the 2nd best offensive talent(Jagr) during his days, and that includes the DPE.

Crosby has never lead the playoffs in scoring though, Forsberg did it twice and he didn’t even reach the finals. As for a “power house” roster....you forget how dominant the West was during those days with the Wings and Stars. Colorado made the conference finals how many times? They were a dominant team in a conference with 2 other equally dominant teams. So Crosby has 4 20+ point runs to Forsbergs 3, and Forsberg lead the post season in scoring 2/3 of those runs.....yet Crosby gets more praise?

Your right, he doesn’t have any smythes.....is that such a terrible thing on his legacy? Need we forget that 1 of Crosby’s smythes is one of the weakest in years.
How many players in history have three or more 27+ point runs? Runs of 27 27 31 point playoffs are huge for Crosby’s legacy. And 21 in 12 certainly doesn’t hurt either
They are both amazing playoff performers, what you aren’t mentioning is that Every single of those runs, Crosby was still 2nd on his own team. Forsberg lead ALL players in points and he didn’t even reach the finals both times.

I mean I’m not taking anything away from Crosby, but to use that against Forsberg and to boost Crosby seems very bias. Forsberg was just as dominant as an individual.

Reactions: psycat

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Forsberg would still be dominant and one of the best players in the league if he played today. I think top 3.

I doubt he’d be better than McDavid (maybe even Crosby) but would be one of the best.

For those that think he’d Be better than McDavid because of his point totals in the dead puck era I doubt it.

Forsberg played on a stacked team. There was no cap and them and Red Wings (along with Stars) used that advantage.

He had Sakic on the 1st line and played with Hejduk, Tanguay (super underrated player) and had a great D and all world goalie behind him.

Compare that to McDavid and think about what he would look like with talent around him

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010

I’m really curious to as why you think Forsberg’s not any better than Kucherov when he’s had 8 seasons where he was on a 100+ point pace.

As for the PO I think it’s close but you have to go with Crosby with the 3 cups, 2 CS and with better stat lines.
It’s really a shame he was so injury prone though. I feel like he’s gonna get the “overrated” treatment more and more as we get further away from his playing days because he doesn’t have the 1500+ points he maybe could have.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Forsberg would still be dominant and one of the best players in the league if he played today. I think top 3.

I doubt he’d be better than McDavid (maybe even Crosby) but would be one of the best.

For those that think he’d Be better than McDavid because of his point totals in the dead puck era I doubt it.

Forsberg played on a stacked team. There was no cap and them and Red Wings (along with Stars) used that advantage.

He had Sakic on the 1st line and played with Hejduk, Tanguay (super underrated player) and had a great D and all world goalie behind him.

Compare that to McDavid and think about what he would look like with talent around him
So he wouldn’t do better in an era with much less obstruction, more PP opportunities, and higher scoring.....makes no sense. He was among the top players during a very brutal era, this era is much softer.

Those teams were stacked partly because of Forsberg. That logic will never stand anywhere, he wasn’t a product of anything, and it takes great teams to have even more success in the end.

Crosby’s had Malkin nearly his entire career. You think he has 3 cups or even 2 smythes without him? Besides Sakic has openly said that Forsberg took a lot of the teams best defensive unit and that made Sakics job easier.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

This may be true, but consider the ice time Forsberg got. In his peak season he played 20 minutes a game. He wasn't relied on quite as much and was a better defensive player. McDavid will have him beat in time I'm sure, but it's not quite yet and it's not by any means a foregone conclusion.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I’m really curious to as why you think Forsberg’s not any better than Kucherov when he’s had 8 seasons where he was on a 100+ point pace.

As for the PO I think it’s close but you have to go with Crosby with the 3 cups, 2 CS and with better stat lines.
It’s really a shame he was so injury prone though. I feel like he’s gonna get the “overrated” treatment more and more as we get further away from his playing days because he doesn’t have the 1500+ points he maybe could have.

He had 171 points in 151 playoff games in the lowest scoring playoff era of all time and more goals and points (nearly equal actually) than Crosby after the same amount of games, and played a lot against physically punishing defensive powerhouses. There are not many what if's when it comes to his playoff legacy unless we care that much about trophies over stats and objective levels of play.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
So much spot picking on one post.

Look, of course Crosby has been more accomplished and was dominant for a lot longer. But Forsberg isn’t any better offensively than Kucherov? He’s arguably the 2nd best offensive talent(Jagr) during his days, and that includes the DPE.

Crosby has never lead the playoffs in scoring though, Forsberg did it twice and he didn’t even reach the finals. As for a “power house” roster....you forget how dominant the West was during those days with the Wings and Stars. Colorado made the conference finals how many times? They were a dominant team in a conference with 2 other equally dominant teams. So Crosby has 4 20+ point runs to Forsbergs 3, and Forsberg lead the post season in scoring 2/3 of those runs.....yet Crosby gets more praise?

Your right, he doesn’t have any smythes.....is that such a terrible thing on his legacy? Need we forget that 1 of Crosby’s smythes is one of the weakest in years.

They are both amazing playoff performers, what you aren’t mentioning is that Every single of those runs, Crosby was still 2nd on his own team. Forsberg lead ALL players in points and he didn’t even reach the finals both times.

I mean I’m not taking anything away from Crosby, but to use that against Forsberg and to boost Crosby seems very bias. Forsberg was just as dominant as an individual.
Firstly, Crosby has led the playoffs in scoring in 2008. He and zetterberg each had 27 points (Crosby played two less games) and if you want to talk about the goals tiebreaker that is the art Ross tie breaker and doesn’t have any bearing on the playoff scoring title. So yes Crosby has led the playoffs in scoring. Secondly his 31 points in 2009 were second in the playoffs and more points than Forsberg has ever scored and his 27 point smythe run he had 1 less point than malkin with one less game played while taking the tougher defensive matchups per usual.

Crosby’s playoff scoring finishes are 1, 2, 2, 5

So while saying he was 2nd on his team twice is true he was also 2nd in the entire league and was playoff mvp 2/3 penguins cup wins and would have surely won the smythe in 08 if the pens had won.

His smythe finishes are
1, 1, 2, 2

So Crosby’s playoff legacy surpasses Forsberg. And there regular seasons are not close.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I think the problem with Forsberg will always be that everyone who watched him knows how dominant he was....only he didn’t put it together consistently enough and really wasn’t able to maintain that level of play, but not because he couldn’t, but because his injuries hindered him. In the end, when he was on, he was among the best. And he does have great individual success to show how dominant he really was, except it still doesn’t do him justice.

Playoffs is really the only time where he was consistently dominant, but he still doesn’t have as much to show for it.

In the end, Crosby has put together more elite seasons and was at the high level for much longer, and he should get credit for that.....but that doesn’t suddenly mean Forsberg wouldn’t have been right there with him. That doesn’t mean he is inferior, just that he couldn’t stay healthy.

Reactions: JFG

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Firstly, Crosby has led the playoffs in scoring in 2008. He and zetterberg each had 27 points (Crosby played two less games) and if you want to talk about the goals tiebreaker that is the art Ross tie breaker and doesn’t have any bearing on the playoff scoring title. So yes Crosby has led the playoffs in scoring. Secondly his 31 points in 2009 were second in the playoffs and more points than Forsberg has ever scored and his 27 point smythe run he had 1 less point than malkin with one less game played while taking the tougher defensive matchups per usual.

Crosby’s playoff scoring finishes are 1, 2, 2, 5

So while saying he was 2nd on his team twice is true he was also 2nd in the entire league and was playoff mvp 2/3 penguins cup wins and would have surely won the smythe in 08 if the pens had won.

His smythe finishes are
1, 1, 2, 2

So Crosby’s playoff legacy surpasses Forsberg. And there regular seasons are not close.
The tie breaker is not souly for the Art Ross. If player A has 50 goals with 90 points while player B has 35 with 90, your not going to say they are equal. It’s a sad attempt to actually try to make your bias views for a narrative that obviously won’t let it. Zetterberg had 7 more goals with the same amount of points, if you look at NHL.com as to who led the post season.....Zetterberg will be there at number 1. I’m sorry if you can’t handle that logic.

Besides, Crosby still lost that post season anyway. I clearly stated he never lead them in any of his championship runs.

Except you forgot to mention that Forsberg only made the conference finals both times he lead the whole post season in scoring ,while Crosby made the finals, where he was a no show and Malkin had to carry him in HIS Smythe winning performance....statistically one of the best ever by the way. And yes he was 1 point behind and deserved that Smythe...that doesn’t take away the fact that he has not once lead his own team in scoring any of his cup WINNING runs.....yet let’s talk down Forsberg for playing on stacked teams and not being just as good in the post season?

But he didn’t win.....he lost and Zetterberg was clearly the superior player....besides Hossa did better in the finals than Crosby. Your still not getting it.....Forsberg led the ENTIRE post season in points TWICE, and he didn’t even make the finals......and that take a back seat to being 2nd 3 times? What kind of backwards thinking is that?

Of course it will, and it should. That still doesn’t mean Forsberg was just as good in the post season. His stats and play show this, just because he didn’t win a Smythe or more cups doesn’t change that like you would like it to.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
The tie breaker is souly for the Art Ross. If player A has 50 goals with 90 points while player B has 35 with 90, your not going to say they are equal. It’s a sad attempt to actually try to make your bias views for a narrative that obviously won’t let it. Zetterberg had 7 more goals with the same amount of points, if you look at NHL.com as to who led the post season.....Zetterberg will be there at number 1. I’m sorry if you can’t handle that logic.

Besides, Crosby still lost that post season anyway. I clearly stated he never lead them in any of his championship runs.

Except you forgot to mention that Forsberg only made the conference finals both times he lead the whole post season in scoring ,while Crosby made the finals, where he was a no show and Malkin had to carry him in HIS Smythe winning performance....statistically one of the best ever by the way. And yes he was 1 point behind and deserved that Smythe...that doesn’t take away the fact that he has not once lead his own team in scoring any of his cup WINNING runs.....yet let’s talk down Forsberg for playing on stacked teams and not being just as good in the post season?

But he didn’t win.....he lost and Zetterberg was clearly the superior player....besides Hossa did better in the finals than Crosby. Your still not getting it.....Forsberg led the ENTIRE post season in points TWICE, and he didn’t even make the finals......and that take a back seat to being 2nd 3 times? What kind of backwards thinking is that?

Of course it will, and it should. That still doesn’t mean Forsberg was just as good in the post season. His stats and play show this, just because he didn’t win a Smythe or more cups doesn’t change that like you would like it to.
You stated Crosby never led the playoffs in scoring which is false. His 27 points led the playoffs tied with Zetterberg. There is no art Ross for the playoffs. Even when using the tiebreaker if it applied here he still led the playoffs.

Crosby was the pens mvp of the 2008 playoffs. Easily. 6 points in 6 games in the finals is a good showing

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Spoken like someone who has never seen him play

I grew up watching him play. He was really freakin' good. Something else.

But I would still take Mcdavid or Crosby over him. But only barely. That said I'd take peak Jagr over the whole bunch. I think people forget just how dominant Jagr was at his peak.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You stated Crosby never led the playoffs in scoring which is false. His 27 points led the playoffs tied with Zetterberg. There is no art Ross for the playoffs. Even when using the tiebreaker if it applied here he still led the playoffs.

Crosby was the pens mvp of the 2008 playoffs. Easily. 6 points in 6 games in the finals is a good showing
Your delusional, Zetterberg is the number one player statistically that post season. Goals will always be more valuable when comparing same
Point totals.....I mean why just go with Crosby as number one without any reasoning?

I never said it wasn’t, and I never said he wasn’t. All I said is he still didn’t lead the post season in points. You just like to ignore facts and march to the beat of your own drum.
Taking a back seat? He was the playoff mvp 2/3 of the pens wins...
I ClLEARLY stated statistically, two first place overall finishes shouldn’t take a back seat to three second place finishes.

I’m not arguing about his smythes. He has them, Forsberg doesn’t, but to say that makes him superior throws out all context.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
He had 171 points in 151 playoff games in the lowest scoring playoff era of all time and more goals and points (nearly equal actually) than Crosby after the same amount of games, and played a lot against physically punishing defensive powerhouses. There are not many what if's when it comes to his playoff legacy unless we care that much about trophies over stats and objective levels of play.
Crosby might win his 3rd CS with the way it’s going and he might climb as high as 3rd or maybe even 2nd in career PO points by the time he retires. Forsbergs absolutely up their, he’s played the least amount of PO games among the top 20 all time PO point leaders excluding Lemieux, probably a top 15 PO performer of all time (just my rough estimate so don’t stab me for this) and their on ice performances may be pretty even but I think in this case the legacy is just too much to overcome.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Your delusional, Zetterberg is the number one player statistically that post season. Goals will always be more valuable when comparing same
Point totals.....I mean why just go with Crosby as number one without any reasoning?

I never said it wasn’t, and I never said he wasn’t. All I said is he still didn’t lead the post season in points. You just like to ignore facts and march to the beat of your own drum.

I ClLEARLY stated statistically, two first place overall finishes shouldn’t take a back seat to three second place finishes.

I’m not arguing about his smythes. He has them, Forsberg doesn’t, but to say that makes him superior throws out all context.
He has led the postseason in points with 27. That’s a fact

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He has led the postseason in points with 27. That’s a fact
Again? Why? Because you say so? You keep using the word “fact” as if it has no argument the other way around. I mean if you want to go by technicality, they both did.....my question is why is Crosby getting the number one spot? Why doesn’t Zetterbergs 7 more goals matter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad