How would Peter Forsberg perform in today’s game at his peak?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Lol @ comparing Forsberg with Giroux. Forsberg was much more physical than Giroux, better vision and a better passer, while I think Giroux has a better shot. Forsberg was more physical with the puck than Giroux without. Also, Forsberg was a beast in the playoffs, Giroux is not. Forsberg was much more of a game changer than Giroux, be it a big hit, a shorthanded goal out of nowhere, etc. Very few players could or can dominate the ice like Forsberg did.

All this while Forsberg was playing in the hack, slash and grab era. And when you speak of intangibles, it wasn't just about the points with Forsberg. He brought alot to the table with his refusal to lose any game.

Think anyone will call Giroux "dangerous", "mean" or "had a game changing ability that was bar none" when he retires? Nope.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Forsberg and Giroux is a non-starter.

Forsberg was right there with Sakic during their respective peaks/primes, which was a notch below Jagr,but a notch above players like Kariya and Selanne.

Forsberg and Crosby is the best comparable with Crosby having the higher offensive ceiling and Forsberg having the more effective physical game.

Reactions: MacBradley

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Sedins only won their rosses because OV (09/10) and Crosby (10/11) missed double digit games. Anyone with half a brain knows they were locks for the ross+hart if they played a full season.
Crosby missed 1 game in 09/10. Why didn't he beat them?

Ovi missed 3 games in 10-11. Why didn't he beat them?

Again, these guys got beat by the twins, and you seriously don't think a man of much superior talent wouldn't be able to beat them? Lolll

Reactions: steleh

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Did you know that one game prior to Crosby passing Lemieux in playoff points this spring, he stood at exactly the same amount of games and points as Forsberg - 171 in 151 games, while Peter had more goals - in the dead puck era. No? Ah, no surprises there.
We have been in the dead puck era for a while now....

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby missed 1 game in 09/10. Why didn't he beat them?

Ovi missed 3 games in 10-11. Why didn't he beat them?

Again, these guys got beat by the twins, and you seriously don't think a man of much superior talent wouldn't be able to beat them? Lolll
Ovechkin would have beat Sedin in 09-10. And Crosby would have beat Sedin in 10-11. That was his point.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
He is a top 3 player in the league. Without question. The gap between Crosby in his prime, and Forsberg in his 30s, with a ton of injury problems, really isn't that large..... Forsberg was a PPG+ player all throughout his 30s.... He was a fantastic talent.

8th all time in PPG in the regular season. 1.250. Crosby is 1.292.

4th all time in APG at .898. Behind only Orr, Lemieux, and Gretzky. (He's one of the best passers of ALL TIME)

Get real people.
Scoring finishes
Crosby 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 6, 10
Forsberg 1, 2, 4, 5, 9

Crosby has more top 3 finishes 8-5 than Forsberg has top 10. And if you want to talk injuries it gets even more ridiculous to compare them

Get real

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Sure thing brah. Btw, show me one clip in which Crosby takes as much abuse as Forsberg and still exceels

Way to just ignore the other part :clapping: ....
Yes they had the same amount of points.... but relative to the league Crosby was better. Not hard to understand. With two smythes and 3 cups vs 0 smythes. It’s not an argument really.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Scoring finishes
Forsberg 1, 2, 4, 5, 9

Crosby has more top 3 finishes 8-5 than Forsberg has top 10. And if you want to talk injuries it gets even more ridiculous to compare them

Get real

I'm not sure what your point is.

Look at the players Forsberg was competing with back then.... Crosby's competition doesn't hold a candle to them.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
We have been in the dead puck era for a while now....
Sort of.

Scoring was much lower with much more obstruction during Forsbergs days. I’m fact Forsbergs ‘03 season has the last lowest league average.
Can we stop comparing Crosby and Forsberg? As good as he was, Forsberg is simply not the same level of player as Crosby.
Crosby was never “superior” to Malkin, and at one point was below Ovechkin....yet Forsberg isn’t on his level? Interesting.....

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Scoring finishes
Forsberg 1, 2, 4, 5, 9

Get real
Forsberg played 70 or more games 5 times through out his career, of course Crosby is going to have him beat....he’s obviouslt been more consistent.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Sort of.

Scoring was much lower with much more obstruction during Forsbergs days. I’m fact Forsbergs ‘03 season has the last lowest league average.

Crosby was never “superior” to Malkin, and at one point was below Ovechkin....yet Forsberg isn’t on his level? Interesting.....
Malkin has been better than Crosby in two regular seasons while both are healthy (08-09, 17-18)

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure what your point is.

Look at the players Forsberg was competing with back then.... Crosby's competition doesn't hold a candle to them.

How do you come to this conclusion if their respective competitions did not face each other?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think he would perform sort of how he did back then. I think it's overstated how much the game has changed.

It's changed a lot, sure, but people act like they were playing basketball 20 years ago.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I think he would perform sort of how he did back then. I think it's overstated how much the game has changed.

It's changed a lot, sure, but people act like they were playing basketball 20 years ago.
Yes, that’s what we’re saying. Roughly a 100 point player year in year out if he’s healthy, which would absolutely put him in the elite group of players, which for some reason some people are not able to accept.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes, that’s what we’re saying. Roughly a 100 point player year in year out if he’s healthy, which would absolutely put him in the elite group of players, which for some reason some people are not able to accept.

I mean, he's 8th all-time in PPG.

I feel some players from the 90's are romanticized because of the age group on this site, but Forsberg is legit. He's one of the greatest players of all-time and would be one of the elites of any era.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

It still makes a huge difference.

What made Jagr effective in his return even after he lost his speed was his puck control and knowing how to protect the puck and use his body. Hell he still put up 67 points in 79 games.

Forsberg would've been flat out dominant.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It still makes a huge difference.

What made Jagr effective in his return even after he lost his speed was his puck control and knowing how to protect the puck and use his body. Hell he still put up 67 points in 79 games.

Forsberg would've been flat out dominant.

He was dominant in the 90's...

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
For as strong as he was boy was her a superstar when it came to embellishment. He would benefit a lot from today's game. I am surprised he did not retire from neck issues with how often he snapped his head back when a stick was in the vicinity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad