How would Peter Forsberg perform in today’s game at his peak?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Dude.. not even close. Crosby destroys Forsberg and that doesn't take into consideration that Sid still has 5+ years of hockey left to make that already MASSIVE gap even larger.

Crosby 100 point seasons: 5 vs. 2 for Forsberg
Crosby 30+ goal seasons: 8 vs. 2 for Forsberg
Crosby Art Ross trophies 2 vs. 1 for Forsberg
Crosby Hart Trophies 2 vs 1 for Forsberg
Crosby Rocket Richard Trophies 2 vs. 0 for Forsberg
Crosby Conn Smythe MVP 2 v. 0 for Forsberg

Not even close... it's hilarious reading some of these posts that are completely disconnected from reality. You guys crack me up.

There is no logical argument (blatant fanboyism != logic ) that even puts Forsberg in the same stratosphere of what Crosby has accomplished.

Forsberg was a great player - maybe 50th best to ever play the game.

Crosby? Top 10, easily.

That is a big difference there. I hope you guys can somehow step back from the blatant fan boyism and see the logic backed up by numbers.. and hopefully reality sets in. Forsberg was a good player, sure, but let's ground ourselves here and not get carried away. Alright?

You disregarded the whole point I was making, on a per game basis they were nearly similar. Forsberg would've had 100+ points just about every season of his career except for a few if he played the full season (just like Crosby) except Crosby actually managed to have a few more of those seasons. Forsberg would've been capable of putting up a top 20 career atleast with better health and longevity. This is a case where trophy counting makes the gap appear much bigger than it actually was.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Peak Forsberg would be a top 5 player, probably 2nd after McDavid. However, that's because Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin aren't at their peak right now. They are all better than him so if they all peaked together he wouldn't get any hardware.

Reactions: Casanova

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Malkin is better then foppa ever was . That overrated fool.

Forsberg blows away Malkin defensively and he was actually more consistent from year to year despite his own injury issues.

Only forwards I would take over Foppa is McDavid, Crosby and maybe Ovechkin.

Reactions: crossbownerf

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Peak Forsberg would be a top 5 player, probably 2nd after McDavid. However, that's because Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin aren't at their peak right now. They are all better than him so if they all peaked together he wouldn't get any hardware.

Peak Forsberg scored 106 points in 75 games. In a full season in 2009 or 10 he could've won the Art Ross or possibly Hart.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Forsberg blows away Malkin defensively and he was actually more consistent from year to year despite his own injury issues.

Only forwards I would take over Foppa is McDavid, Crosby and maybe Ovechkin.

The only reason I would take Ovechkin over him is health, but even then I probably wouldn't. I think in a few years time McDavid will be the best of them all though by a fair bit..

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
hockey was more physical when forsberg was playing... not to mention all the stickwork... so yeah he would maintain his physicality and be dominant.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
His multiple top 10 finishes in Selke voting say hey And no just because he’s by far the superior player. Insulting to Crosby really
Reputation is everything, Top 10 multiple years ? Source ? I feel guilty insulting an almost as good generational talent.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Peak Forsberg scored 106 points in 75 games. In a full season in 2009 or 10 he could've won the Art Ross or possibly Hart.

113 points and the Art Ross Malkin got 12 first place votes that year. No chance in hell Forsberg challenge Ovechkin that year.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
113 points and the Art Ross Malkin got 12 first place votes that year. No chance in hell Forsberg challenge Ovechkin that year.

Why would you think that comparing point totals from different seasons straight up makes any sense?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
At his peak, he is challenging for the best player in the world like he was when he played (aside from Mario).

He would have won the last two Art Rosses at his peak

(ducks the incoming barrage of McDavid supporters)

Reactions: MacBradley

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I like to think he would go easier in the hits department, slow the game down and as a result prolong his shifts. That would be his trick.

That couldn't be done in the era where defenders were allowed to do just about anything to strip you off the puck because Forsberg didn't have the luxury of a big frame like Mario and Jagr had, thus he couldn't just contain the violent attempts and mind the puck for a long time without losing his steam like Mario and Jagr did. When sticking his butt out to protect the puck along the boards, he also became a target for the crosscheck in the neck whenever a big enough defender was behind him, and he often received one or two. He had to give back while maintaining the puck and then do something quickly because his steam was running out fast.

So I think he would be in less of a hurry and his production would increase compared with how it looked back in the nineties.

People who think his production would be Datsyuklike think wrong I think. Forsberg's ceiling was much higher, as he was one hell of a playmaker. Give him a decent sniper and some respectable PP crew, 80 assists a year are a given.

Last edited:

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
And he had godlike hands... He could stick handle with the best of them while banging people to the ground. He was without a doubt the best player who ever came out of Sweden but he had very few prime years since he played the game harder than his body could handle. Also, with his feet acting up his skating wasn't the same either the last years. During his prime he was a good skater.

Last edited:
Reactions: crossbownerf

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Forsberg won his Art Ross 8 years after his rookie season, with 4 top 10 points finishes before that(2,4,5,9) and 6 top 10 finishes in assists and 8 top 10 PPG finishes....all in a matter of 13 years with only 5 of them playing 70 or more games.....that’s pretty remarkable. This is the same guy who took a year off to recover, only to start in the post season, ultimately leading the playoffs in points and assists and not reaching the finals.

It gives us an idea that IF healthy, he would have done some serious damage stats and hardware wise, but that was always his demise. Who knows if he would or wouldn’t play just as physical in this era. He wouldn’t have to nearly as much, but that was part of his game. He was an elite playmaker with a power forward style, that’s what made him so dangerous. Same thing with Lindros, who’s physical style complimented his skillset and made him a more dangerous player. But you never know, they could adjust without being so physical, this era definitely would help that transition.

What we do know is he didn’t have any trouble adjusting to the post lock out era. His body simply couldn’t handle it anymore. But this era is Taylor made for players like him. Big, strong, tough on the puck, great defensive awareness, and an ability to control the pace.
Players are much more skilled today, but the clutch & grab made it much harder to score points during his peak years.
I would say bottom line forwards are more skilled. The talent pool is deeper, But the top end talent is not how it used to be.

We are talking about an era with guys like Sakic, Modano, Sundin , Fedorov and Lindros, with veteran players like Oates, Francis, and Yzerman still maintain top level productivity. And that’s just for center alone.

I mean over the last few years, we have Crosby, Malkin, and McDavid.....after that it’s guys like Giroux, Seguin, Backstrom, Tavares, Getzlaf, Stamkos, etc.....I feel Forsberg is competing with the big 3 compared to everyone else.

I feel like We didn’t get to see Crosby and Forsberg truly at their bests, so it’s hard to say who would/wouldn’t beat who. I’m sure Forsberg from ‘01-‘04 is very similar to Crosby’s ‘11-‘14. Both peaking, both had success, but cut short early each time by injuries. I mean 2011 Crosby was a monster, while Forsberg missed the entire ‘02 season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1