How would Peter Forsberg perform in today’s game at his peak?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Guy was a horse along the boards. Had that Jagr like ability to sick his arse out and protect the puck for days.

He’d have been fine in any era really. Probably would’ve had a longer career in this one too.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
One of the better passer's I've ever seen. Can't see how that would change.
Wasn't top end fast but his first few steps were up there with the best which imo is most important. Especially in today's game

Reactions: MacBradley

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin were better in their prime/peaks and are maybe still better. McDavid is definitely better now, so I would say 3rd-5th somewhere. I see him as a better Getzlaf, or a poor mans Malkin imo.

Jagr is the only one of the late 90's/early 00's stars that are relevant at the top of the all time rankings. (defencemen/goalies excluded)
During Forsbergs prime (95-04) he had a ppg of 1.28. Excluding Lemieux only Jagr had a higher PPG at 1.38 in an era where the numbers of goals scored are pretty comparable to the last few years, with the span of 01-04 being the lowest of them all. Considering how crosby malkin and ovechkin each have a ppg of 1.29, 1.18, 1.1 in their careers so far (i guess to make it completely fair you can take their best 9 years but it wouldn’t make that much of a difference) I really doubt a prime Forsberg would be a step behind those guys and McDavid. He’d be right up there with them and no way he tops out as a 90 point player like someone else suggested

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I imagine Forsberg would produce like Datsyuk, but 30 lbs heavier with an axe to grind.

Filthy hands and playmaking with a punishing attitude. He makes me miss the 90s nhl.

Tavares highlight against couts last year, 1v1 on the wall, felt like a once a period occurrence for Forsberg.

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
If you made Forsberg mad he could take over games on his own.
Here he is having the puck but he doesnt sway away from contact, he chooses a target and runs him over.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Would he maintain his physicality?

The game isn't as physical now as it was during his best seasons but is faster. I assume he would dial the physicality, which would allow him to be in the line-up more often. I'm sure he would still be among the best players because he could skate and he had finesse skills, vision, excellent passing and a sturdy build.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
He would be in the penalty box for charging a lot more and would have a couple of hospital beds ready for him rink side.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Poor mans version of Crosby that's injured (either not playing, or playing through an injury) >50% of the time

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Two-time triple gold club. Won Art Ross and Hart. In his prime, he'd be among five best centers in the league today. I'd pencil him in for 80-90 points on a good season and he likely would get some consideration for Selke too.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
For most of his career, Foppa did what he did while dragging defenders that were clutching and grabbing. This isn't even taking into consideration his later years which were very much injury riddled. Peak Foppa in today's game would be a top 3 center in the game behind McDavid and just behind Sid.

Reactions: Hagstrom

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
One of the best no doubt. Anyone thinking he'd be above McDavid or Crosby is wearing some serious rose-coloured glasses though.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Has the game gotten faster? Yes, but it's a narrative that's being exaggerated. In today's NHL, we've seen a 36 year old Joe Thornton be a PPG player, and a 43-44 year old Jaromir Jagr put up 66 points. Matt Cullen, who turns 42 in a month, is still keeping up. I think he has 3 or 4 goals this preseason. There's no reason why a prime Peter Forsberg, who's game was never built around speed in the first place, would not be widely successful in today's NHL.

That's not to mention he actually was a very fast skater with even better agility.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
One of the best no doubt. Anyone thinking he'd be above McDavid or Crosby is wearing some serious rose-coloured glasses though.

I mean I posted the stats above already but it’s definitely close if we’re talking season by season. Career no doubt they’ll all be better but his on ice play was absolutely on par with the those guys. Not to mention he likely wouldn’t be injured as much playing in this era.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Foresberg in his prime was unbelievable!!! He was like a mini Jagr hard to knock off the puck, could thread the needle and also had a very underrated shot!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad