How would Peter Forsberg perform in today’s game at his peak?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He'd be a game-changer in any era, including today. The guy was a beast physically and had amazing vision. Would probably be the most legit threat to McDavid for the Art Ross.

Reactions: MacBradley

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
He'd be a game-changer in any era, including today. The guy was a beast physically and had amazing vision. Would probably be the most legit threat to McDavid for the Art Ross.

Just wondering... you do know Peter Forsberg has the 8th highest PPG all time right at 1.25? Which is good for 103 points per year, in he DEAD PUCK ERA.

Then we can take into consideration, how he was a beast physically, a clutch playoff performer, had selke caliber defense, and won year in and year out. Peter Forsberg was the perfect center. 2003 Forsberg was one of the best players in NHL history. IMO he had a top 10 peak of all time.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Just wondering... you do know Peter Forsberg has the 8th highest PPG all time right at 1.25? Which is good for 103 points per year, in he DEAD PUCK ERA.

Then we can take into consideration, how he was a beast physically, a clutch playoff performer, had selke caliber defense, and won year in and year out. Peter Forsberg was the perfect center. 2003 Forsberg was one of the best players in NHL history. IMO he had a top 10 peak of all time.

Yep, I knew that. He would be an amazing player today, probably only 2nd to McDavid.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
That's not to mention he actually was a very fast skater with even better agility.

Don't know about very fast, maybe when he was younger, but his skating was never a problem and would never be in any era, including this one. Someone mentioned Giroux - if he can score +100 pts in today's NHL lemme tell ya...Forsberg also does without a doubt.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Yep, I knew that. He would be an amazing player today, probably only 2nd to McDavid.
Not quite sold on that!!! Foresberg put up some big numbers while hardly playing full seasons and that was in the dead puck era!!! Foresberg playing now would give McDavid or Crosby a serious run for their money!!!!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm not sure where people get the idea that Forsberg was a poor mans Crosby. In his prime and at his peak he was essentially an equal caliber of player in the regular season and playoffs. Whatever slight edge Crosby had offensively Forsberg probably made up for that with his defense and physical play. What it comes down to is Crosby has had a few more elite full seasons than Forsberg did thus having the clearly better career already, with perhaps quite a few more to come along with more Stanley Cups (the two Conn Smythes don't hurt either, but don't let that fool you into thinking he was better in the playoffs, he was equal at best). Per game though, take their best season, best 3-5 seasons, or best half season and I would think it's a very close call (Forsberg had 77 points in the last 47 games in 2002-03 followed by 55 in 39 the following season where the top two scorers had 94 and 87 points in full seasons).

Last edited:

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
How good is Backstrom? A top 10 center? Forsberg is like that, but slightly better (at least) at every aspect of ice hockey. So yes, Forsberg would dominate the league.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Honestly, even that is debatable. I'd like to see one good playoff run out of him before we declare him clearly better than Forsberg who was a consistent playoff monster throughout his career.

Reactions: untouchable21

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
If injury free around 100 pts a season- probably a Ross or two(likely the latter since the competition today ain't no Jagr etc).
On a per game basis he is right up there with Crosby, McDavid etc- he obviously didn't have the career of the former though.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
I'm not sure where people get the idea that Forsberg was a poor mans Crosby. In his prime and at his peak he was essentially an equal caliber of player in the regular season and playoffs. Whatever slight edge Crosby had offensively Forsberg probably made up for that with his defense and physical play. What it comes down to is Crosby has had a few more elite full seasons than Forsberg did thus having the clearly better career already, with perhaps quite a few more to come along with more Stanley Cups (the two Conn Smythes don't hurt either, but don't let that fool you into thinking he was better in the playoffs, he was equal at best). Per game though, take their best season, best 3-5 seasons, or best half season and I would think it's a very close call (Forsberg had 77 points in the last 47 games in 2002-03 followed by 55 in 39 the following season where the top two scorers had 94 and 87 points in full seasons).
Crosby has a better career and he was injured and sidelined in his most dominant form. Forsberg is a clear step below crosby

Apr 9, 2009
USA
So basically Crosby.

Crosby has been pretty healthy for 5 years now. The least amount of games he's played in the regular season in that span was 75. When you consider the playoff runs they've had, Sid's health no longer seems to be much of a concern.

I don't believe in jinxes and sure hope this post doesn't make me start.

Reactions: Curufinwe

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Crosby has a better career and he was injured and sidelined in his most dominant form. Forsberg is a clear step below crosby

On a career basis, yes that's a given(And I don't believe anybody suggested otherwise). However on a per game basis they are actually very close.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
The ‘Forsberg is overrated’ argument is probably the best indication to see whether or not he/she actually watched hockey before 05/06
I feel like him and Pronger always get the overrated treatment because people actually have to watch them play to understand how good they are and how they were perceived around the league. My parents have a bunch of magazines from around the late 90s and early 00s but Forsberg was constantly among the top 5 players in those year books, number one on a couple years iirc. Not saying it’s completely accurate but it’s a pretty good indication of how he was viewed at the time.
Imo it’s pretty comical when people say he’d top out as a 80-90 point player without any argument or facts.

I’m not arguing their legacies or careers or anything. The other 3 (mcdavid will likely surpass as well) are clearly above Forsberg in that matter. But when people just say stuff like he’s not even close to crosby/malkin, a step below the elite group of players, imo they’re just being really stubborn when all the stats (and the eyetest for that matter) points to him being equally productive when on the ice as those guys.

And yes take those guy’s 9 best years and forsberg still has a better ppg than ao and geno and is almost identical to crosbys if you want to use the ‘his ppg is inflated because he didn’t play out his career, he’s actually not that good’ card.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
He'd be at Crosby level. Challenging for 2nd place every season and sometimes threatening for 1st.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004

Dude.. not even close. Crosby destroys Forsberg and that doesn't take into consideration that Sid still has 5+ years of hockey left to make that already MASSIVE gap even larger.

Crosby 100 point seasons: 5 vs. 2 for Forsberg
Crosby 30+ goal seasons: 8 vs. 2 for Forsberg
Crosby Art Ross trophies 2 vs. 1 for Forsberg
Crosby Hart Trophies 2 vs 1 for Forsberg
Crosby Rocket Richard Trophies 2 vs. 0 for Forsberg
Crosby Conn Smythe MVP 2 v. 0 for Forsberg

Not even close... it's hilarious reading some of these posts that are completely disconnected from reality. You guys crack me up.

There is no logical argument (blatant fanboyism != logic ) that even puts Forsberg in the same stratosphere of what Crosby has accomplished.

Forsberg was a great player - maybe 50th best to ever play the game.

Crosby? Top 10, easily.

That is a big difference there. I hope you guys can somehow step back from the blatant fan boyism and see the logic backed up by numbers.. and hopefully reality sets in. Forsberg was a good player, sure, but let's ground ourselves here and not get carried away. Alright?

Last edited:

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Dude.. not even close. Crosby destroys Forsberg and that doesn't take into consideration that Sid still has 5+ years of hockey left to make that already MASSIVE gap even larger.

Crosby 100 point seasons: 5 vs. 2 for Forsberg
Crosby 30+ goal seasons: 8 vs. 2 for Forsberg
Crosby Art Ross trophies 2 vs. 1 for Forsberg
Crosby Hart Trophies 2 vs 1 for Forsberg
Crosby Rocket Richard Trophies 2 vs. 0 for Forsberg
Crosby Conn Smythe MVP 2 v. 0 for Forsberg

Not even close... it's hilarious reading some of these posts that are completely disconnected from reality. You guys crack me up.

There is no logical argument (blatant fanboyism != logic ) that even puts Forsberg in the same stratosphere of what Crosby has accomplished.

Forsberg was a great player - maybe 50th best to ever play the game.

Crosby? Top 10, easily.

That is a big difference there. I hope you guys can somehow step back from the blatant fan boyism and see the logic backed up by numbers.. and hopefully reality sets in. Forsberg was a good player, sure, but let's ground ourselves here and not get carried away. Alright?

Come on, you know the only reason Forsberg doesn’t have more hardware/100 pt seasons is because of injuries and Jagr. He’d have 8 100 pt seasons if not for injuries, not including 01-02 and 07-08. Of course that’s really unlikely even for a durable player but you get my point. Noone’s saying he’s straight out better than Sid. Crosbys career is definitely top 10 and I agree that forsbergs ranking is much lower but that’s not what the thread is asking. I mean pens fans have to deal with the injury/quality of competition argument all the time when it comes to McDavids potential accomplishments vs Crosby’s accomplishments, I don’t know why you’re so keen on using the same argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad