How will you celebrate if the Sabres win the lottery?

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
There is no reason to celebrate winning the 1st pick, not like McDavid will magically chance this team from a told **** storm to a contender. I'll celebrate when this team actually becomes a winning team.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
There is no reason to celebrate winning the 1st pick, not like McDavid will magically chance this team from a told **** storm to a contender. I'll celebrate when this team actually becomes a winning team.

So you're saying you wouldn't celebrate if today the Sabres made a trade for one of Crosby/Stamkos/Tavares/Toews/MacKinnon ???

Pleeeaase.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

And this would be the first step. A generational like McDavid is so ****ing rare. You have to be lucky enough to tank during the right era, and also lucky enough to win the lottery to get a player like him. Its so improbable, and he has the potential to create a dynasty. He gives you at least 97 reasons to throw a ****in party

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I would probably just stare at the TV for hours. The shock of this working out 100% would be too much for this long time Buffalo sports fan to process.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Eh, I'd be stunned more then anything. I'm not one to buy into conspiracy theories, but I feel like the league could do much more to be transparent in this lottery, which is why I've always been against the lottery system. I've always felt like the NFL has it right with a straight up draft system, where you pick where you place. People complain about lack of parity, but I remember a few years ago, when the Seahawks were considered one of the worst franchises in the league, and now they've won a superbowl and are playing in their second. I don't believe that the Sabres will win the lottery, because of the stance that they league has taken in how they are going about their re-build. I don't think the league wants to reward the sabres for that, so they will make sure that they don't get McDavid. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one here eating crow.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Eh, I'd be stunned more then anything. I'm not one to buy into conspiracy theories, but I feel like the league could do much more to be transparent in this lottery, which is why I've always been against the lottery system. I've always felt like the NFL has it right with a straight up draft system, where you pick where you place. People complain about lack of parity, but I remember a few years ago, when the Seahawks were considered one of the worst franchises in the league, and now they've won a superbowl and are playing in their second. I don't believe that the Sabres will win the lottery, because of the stance that they league has taken in how they are going about their re-build. I don't think the league wants to reward the sabres for that, so they will make sure that they don't get McDavid. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one here eating crow.

I have a hunch of that too. They change the odds and openly state how they are against "tanking" so i could see them not wanting to reward the sabres. I hate how the actual lottery is behind closed doors. They don't actually televise the pick, just Bill Daly with his stupid envelopes. Im not a huge conspiracy theorist either, but changing the odds to the point where anyone in the top 10 or so (top 5 especially) has a reasonable chance to win, gives them the least resistance to give it to who they want. I guess we'll find out if he ends up in Florida or Carolina

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I have a hunch of that too. They change the odds and openly state how they are against "tanking" so i could see them not wanting to reward the sabres. I hate how the actual lottery is behind closed doors. They don't actually televise the pick, just Bill Daly with his stupid envelopes. Im not a huge conspiracy theorist either, but changing the odds to the point where anyone in the top 10 or so (top 5 especially) has a reasonable chance to win, gives them the least resistance to give it to who they want. I guess we'll find out if he ends up in Florida or Carolina

I asked this question recently in the Business of Hockey and got a pretty solid response.

A bank firm and an NHL representative watch the actual drawing, and it's taped live (just not shown on tv). They draw 4 balls corresponding to a set of numbers on a large chart, and whoever matches that combination wins the lottery. There are too many eyes on it for it to be fixed.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Remembering back to Murray's rumblings on the subject, it seemed like the team the other NHL clubs were worried about was Edmonton, not Buffalo. And Florida? If the league wants to eliminate repeat offenders, so to speak, at the top of the draft, and they're rigging the lotto, no chance it's them. Florida's already picked 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall in recent years.

ETA: However, the idea that league rigging the lottery is pretty farfetched.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Remembering back to Murray's rumblings on the subject, it seemed like the team the other NHL clubs were worried about was Edmonton, not Buffalo. And Florida? If the league wants to eliminate repeat offenders, so to speak, at the top of the draft, and they're rigging the lotto, no chance it's them. Florida's already picked 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall in recent years.

ETA: Let's be real though, the idea that league rigging the lottery is pretty farfetched.

Regardless, I think I'd be pretty salty if the Sabres went in there last overall in the standings for a second straight year and once again didn't come out with the first overall pick. I'm still very annoyed with the whole lottery system in the first place. IMO it is very hard to be 100% transparent with that type of thing, and a straight up reverse standings draft has always worked for the NFL and MLB, which are much larger leagues then the NHL.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Regardless, I think I'd be pretty salty if the Sabres went in there last overall in the standings for a second straight year and once again didn't come out with the first overall pick. I'm still very annoyed with the whole lottery system in the first place. IMO it is very hard to be 100% transparent with that type of thing, and a straight up reverse standings draft has always worked for the NFL and MLB, which are much larger leagues then the NHL.

I get you'd feel that way but statiscally speaking its not really shocking. Last year they had a 75% chance of not winning and for the 2015 drawing (assuming 30th place they'd have a 80% chance of not winning it.

As for the lottery and the changes to the draft. Neither the NFL nor MLB has such a proven result for their top picks.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'll remove all* the myriad straight pins I've inserted into my homemade Gary Bettman voodoo doll.

*Except for the "No-Goal" one through his heart with the pinhead colored Dallas Stars green.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
I get you'd feel that way but statiscally speaking its not really shocking. Last year they had a 75% chance of not winning and for the 2015 drawing (assuming 30th place they'd have a 80% chance of not winning it.

As for the lottery and the changes to the draft. Neither the NFL nor MLB has such a proven result for their top picks.

While the NFL isn't as proven with their top picks, the first overall pick is often not BPA, which is the norm in the NHL. There are many times that the first overall pick is based on team needs, and this is shown in recent years with the recent inflation of value of the QB position. If the NFL were similar, you would often see a Center taken over other positions simply because he is a center, even if he isn't the best player in the draft. Draft lotteries leave a bad taste in many fans' mouths. Just look at the NBA draft which is widely believed to be fixed.

That being said, I'd be the first one to eat crow if the results come out in our favor. I simply don't believe that they will.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

ETA: However, the idea that league rigging the lottery is pretty farfetched.

That was the issue for owners. Basically why should inept and horribly run franchises repeatedly get shots at top level players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad