Speculation: HOW will/should DRW resolve roster squeeze? (3 goalies, Ed, danielsson)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If he spends the first 20+ games in GR, I'll agree. But I'm not expecting that to happen. There's nothing magical about playing games 1-77 versus games 6-82. Ed does deserve to play with the big club, it's just a matter of how soon they can do so without losing an asset for nothing.
Games 1-7 matter just as much as games 75-82. Not icing your best lineup because you're afraid of hurting Ghost's or Holl's or Chiarot's or Petry's feelings is cowardly.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
TBL might claim reimer with Vasi out long-term. If your going to waive reimer, I'd rather get something out of it because he has shown pretty capable this preseason/camp.

I could be wrong, but I'd think Reimer's not completely bury-able cap hit would make him less attractive for Tampa given their cap in - cap out LTIR clusterF.

Seems like the Bolts are content to give Johansson the net to start the year, so if they do anything it'll probably just be to get some depth, even if temporary. That could come in the form of claiming a goalie on waivers that's likely to get re-claimed by the original waiving team once Vasi is healthy. That's where someone like Lyon or Cayden Primeau makes more sense.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ray only got a shot due to injury. Seider got his job because he had a pulse and no one else did.

There aren't 2 or 3 better defensemen than Ed on this roster let alone 6 or 7.
In order to make place for Raymond on that team, they only needed to send the corps of Bobby Ryan back to graveyard, Seider was set from the beginning, he did not have seven NHL defensemen to compete with (he actually didn't have any if we look how Hronek's and Leddy's seasons went).
But all of this is moot if Edvinsson stays up.
So we finally have 7 NHL quality defenseman and that’s a bad thing?

Ok. Edvinsson will be on the team by January/February. Y’all are freaking out about nothing.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006

Ok. Edvinsson will be on the team by January/February. Y’all are freaking out about nothing.

We have 8 quality NHL defensemen, which is not a bad thing, I just prefer 6 best of them suiting up for the games, it's not like Red Wings are powerhouse to dress a lesser roster for half of the season.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

We have more than 7 NHL quality defensemen.

Are we just dumpstering the season off the rip? Why wait until January to ice your best lineup? It's about the Wings as a whole just as much as it's about Ed.

Shipping Ed down would be no different than shipping down Ray who is still waiver exempt... I think that would cause a bit of a ripple on the old board...

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
All this complaining if a young guy starts in GR is silly. Most years, by game 5 someone gets hurt or even start the year hurt.

If the new guns are good enough they will make it, if not they won't.

Edvinsson still looks a little raw physically from what I have seen. At least with regards to play near the net. Seems a little too easy to push around.

He clearly has great skill, that doesn't mean he can't learn things in GR that make him a better player.

Are we just dumpstering the season off the rip? Why wait until January to ice your best lineup? It's about the Wings as a whole just as much as it's about Ed.

Shipping Ed down would be no different than shipping down Ray who is still waiver exempt... I think that would cause a bit of a ripple on the old board...

If he doesn't start in Det, I would bet he is in the lineup by game 15-20 at the latest. At least one will get hurt or be playing really poorly.

They may want him playing at a lower level just because of his shoulder surgery.

Reactions: David D

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Sending down a player with 9 NHL games played ever coming off an injury is the same as sending down a player with 74 NHL games played who had a full off season of training (gained 12 lbs)?

Sure, whatever you say.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Games 1-7 matter just as much as games 75-82. Not icing your best lineup because you're afraid of hurting Ghost's or Holl's or Chiarot's or Petry's feelings is cowardly.
It has nothing to do with feelings. If Ed is better, but it takes 3-5 games worth of time to get something for a veteran in a trade, is it better to instead ditch the veteran for nothing just so a kid can say he was in the opening night lineup? Or should we let the first two weeks of October play out before we etch the failures of the regime in stone?

Reactions: 14ari13

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Waive Chiarot and Fischer. We were told by management people have to earn there roster spots. Neither has shown anything that proves they have earned a spot. These two currently are the biggest liabilities on the roster and removing them allows for better, younger talent to take off.

Its what I would do, but I am not holding my breath.
Time for Stevie Y to put his money where his mouth is. Ill believe it when I see it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm beginning to think that if/when this rebuild results in a championship, there will still be fans that complain about the amount of confetti in the parade.

Y'all need to at least wait for something significant to happen before grabbing pitchforks about it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Those players made an AHL caliber team.
Just happens those teams were allowed to compete in the NHL.
Did you want to stay an AHL caliber team forever?

Do you think Edvinsson is going to be in GR all year?

I don’t get what the deal is. If Edvinsson is still in GR in March I’ll literally rebel with you guys. I don’t think he will be. Given that he doesn’t turn 21 til February and is coming off an injury, I think this whole situation is fine. I also think one of Kasper/Danielson will be on the team by the end of the year. I think this will all work itself out pretty seamlessly.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Or he doesn't want to give away players for free through waivers and knows that this is the absolute worst time of year to try to move someone. Anyways, Chiarot is not getting waived in the next week. You can all put your dicks back in your pants because it isn't going to happen.

Ed will go down to begin. Injuries will happen and he will be up in no time. At that point you explore trades or waivers if you still need to open a spot permanently. If you have actual aspirations of being competitive, depth is genuinely important.
(Narrows eyes suspiciously, zips fly, covers laptop camera with a Rainbow Brite sticker)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
it's almost like intentionally setting things up in the offseason so multiple injuries are required to make the team was a bad idea or something

thatsnoneofmy.jpg

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Fabbri - Larkin - DeBrincat
Berggren - Compher - Raymond
Rasmussen - Copp - Perron
Kostin/Fischer - Veleno - Sprong

Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Petry
Määttä - Holl
Ghost

Husso
Reimer
Lyon

13+7+3

Danielson -> WHL, he is readier than i expected but i don't believe that he is ready for 82 game season. Im hoping for as long as possible season for Danielson, full WHL season + WJC tournament and hopefully memorial cup as well.

Edvinsson -> AHL, he's not going to stay there for long. After the first injury he's up, then someone else gets injured and he stays up. By then season has been rolling by some time and if we are fully healthy then, there will be other teams who have injuries and then Ghost gets traded. But if Wings have injuries, no one needs to get traded. If we have the depth, there is no reason not to use it.

Keep Lyon in Detroit and let GR sign Hutch, Cossa should beat him for the starters job easier than Lyon.

Reactions: David D

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
Keep in mind that Ed was not really be ready for training camp.
Who cares. Management is supposed to ice the best team. To send ed down to ahl is useless when he is clearly ready for top 4 nhl minutes. If he misses say 20 games to start the year and by the end of the year imagine the wings miss the playoffs by 6 points. Then imagine ed playing over chiorot or maata in the first 20 games they'd probably win 3 more games. So essentially Management would choose veterans over icing the best possible roster. Not a good look.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
All this complaining if a young guy starts in GR is silly. Most years, by game 5 someone gets hurt or even start the year hurt.

If the new guns are good enough they will make it, if not they won't.

Edvinsson still looks a little raw physically from what I have seen. At least with regards to play near the net. Seems a little too easy to push around.

He clearly has great skill, that doesn't mean he can't learn things in GR that make him a better player.

If he doesn't start in Det, I would bet he is in the lineup by game 15-20 at the latest. At least one will get hurt or be playing really poorly.

They may want him playing at a lower level just because of his shoulder surgery.
There's more than one playing poorly now. Why waste 15-20 with a lesser player when there is one playing better available?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm beginning to think that if/when this rebuild results in a championship, there will still be fans that complain about the amount of confetti in the parade.

Y'all need to at least wait for something significant to happen before grabbing pitchforks about it.
Why is sending down our 3rd best defenseman acceptable to so many? Like I said, Ray is waiver exempt. Ship him down and see the reactions.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This is why I don’t like the off season moves this year. Stevie has brought on a lot of mediocre talent that are solid enough NHL players that they likely won’t be played out of their positions by a good preseason by a kid but aren’t good players in general. Add to that Fester is doing his best impression of Blashill, I don’t see them giving young players the ability to make the roster this season.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Did you want to stay an AHL caliber team forever?

Do you think Edvinsson is going to be in GR all year?

I don’t get what the deal is. If Edvinsson is still in GR in March I’ll literally rebel with you guys. I don’t think he will be. Given that he doesn’t turn 21 til February and is coming off an injury, I think this whole situation is fine. I also think one of Kasper/Danielson will be on the team by the end of the year. I think this will all work itself out pretty seamlessly.

My only take;
keep the best players on the Red Wings. Give the Red Wings the absolute best chance to win every single game… including game #1. Every single player must earn their spot.

It’s a pretty clear take and I don’t think it’s controversial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad