Speculation: HOW will/should DRW resolve roster squeeze? (3 goalies, Ed, danielsson)

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Need to squeeze a 23 man roster.

DBC Larkin Raymond
Ras Copp Perrson
Sprong Compher Fabbri
Berggren Veleno Kostin

seider walman
petry maatta
Holl Ghost
Chiarot

Husso
reimer
(thats 21)

Lyon playing well, Ed playing well, , Danielsson playing well, fischer signed.

How will this be resolved!?!?!?1?!?

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Waive Chiarot and Fischer. We were told by management people have to earn there roster spots. Neither has shown anything that proves they have earned a spot. These two currently are the biggest liabilities on the roster and removing them allows for better, younger talent to take off.

Its what I would do, but I am not holding my breath.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Has there been an update on the Fabbri injury? If that's more than day-to-day, that's an additional spot, at least for the time being.

The above notwithstanding, I think Lyon sticks, Fischer gets waived, and both kids start the year off the team (much to fans' chagrin, but neither is off for long).

Oct 18, 2006
Danielson and Edvinsson will be going to the WHL/AHL respectively. Yzerman wont want to give up assets for nothing just so the kids can play. I’m okay with Danielson going to juniors but I honestly think it would be a mistake to send Edvinsson to the AHL. The guy is ready and ready to play 18-20 minutes a night.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Need to squeeze a 23 man roster.

DBC Larkin Raymond
Ras Copp Perrson
Sprong Compher Fabbri
Berggren Veleno Kostin

seider walman
petry maatta
Holl Ghost
Chiarot

Husso
reimer
(thats 21)

Lyon playing well, Ed playing well, , Danielsson playing well, fischer signed.

How will this be resolved!?!?!?1?!?

looking at the roster waving fischer is almost a certainty. Then probably easiest thing to do would be put danielsson back in the WHL.

Would be pretty unorthodox to carry 12 forwards, 8 D, and 3 goalies.

wonder if they discussed with reimer possiblity he would start in the AHL when they signed him.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Im betting both Fischer and Chiarot will be on the opening roster sadly. With Edvinsson and Danielson to the AHL/WHL.

Unless a trade happens. I get the feeling Stevie really hates losing anyone for free (something he probably picked up from Bowman) so it is what it is.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
If you want my honest opinion, Stevie backed himself into a corner by signing so many guys and handing out bad contracts like chiarot. I understand the sentiment of making young guys work for their roles but contracts like chariots are an albatross and extremely hard to move and there is no way he is good enough to be on this roster. Edvinsson and Danielson both look better than guys I’m pretty sure will be on our final roster compared to them and it’s unacceptable.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Danielson and Edvinsson will be going to the WHL/AHL respectively. Yzerman wont want to give up assets for nothing just so the kids can play. I’m okay with Danielson going to juniors but I honestly think it would be a mistake to send Edvinsson to the AHL. The guy is ready and ready to play 18-20 minutes a night.

I agree, Danielson should go back and dominate WHL. No reason to risk an injury playing 82 games against big men. He is undoubtedly good enough to play, but no reason to risk the long term.

Ed should stay with the big club over Chiarot and Holl. He already has 2 full seasons against men, he is ready for the next step.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Stevie has put himself in a bit of a pickle but I also think the Petry move came out of nowhere and he had not planned for it. I also don't think it was a certainty that Ed would be ready for the start of preseason and whether he'd ramp up to speed right away even if he was.

Danielson may get his 9 games but I'd be shocked if he isn't WHL bound unless we have a major forward injury between now and the season start (see Vrana/Raymond). He isn't being kept as a bottom 6 forward.

Ed should be on the team. He is ready to make that next step and will benefit from being at the NHL level. He's also definitely been a top 6 dman this preseason.

My want is to waive Chiarot but my gut is saying Stevie trades Maata because he is the guy that they could probably get a good return on. Even thought I think he is by far the best of our bottom 4 pack.

If we are rocking the best D its:

Walman- Seider
Ed- Petry
Maata- Holl

With Chia waived and Ghost subbing inza for injuries or to keep guys like Maata ans Petry fresh throughout the season. The likelyhood is Chia isn't going to get picked up so they could make it a paper move only and just have him come with the team all season. Its an expensive choice.

Any easier choice if Danielson remains whl bound is to waive Fischer and just use Kasper as your callup for injury. He has a game that works on any line and he is waiver exempt. Then you can do the 12-8-3.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Holl is fine, it's Ghost and Chiarot who stank. Well Ghost is just a disaster defensively but still.

Dcat-Larkin-Raymond
Rasmussen-Compher-Sprong
Fabbri-Copp-Perron
Kostin-Veleno-Bergy

Wally-Mo
Ed-Petry
Maatta-Holl

Husso
Lyon

Catapult Reimer into the sun, Sprong and Perron can be mixed around, same with Petry and Holl since Ed played well with both. Chiarot and Ghost are just not better options, depth is good to have because injuries will happen yes, but we shouldn't scratch superior players in Bergy or Ed because vets.

I'd also be down if they wanna give Danielson a looksy, but I'm guessing they are giving him all these preseason scenario's before sending him back.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
When I try to draw up the D, my process goes something like:

It should be:
Walman-Seider
Ed-Petry
Maatta-Ghost
Holl as the 7th

But then I say to myself, "That's just fantasy. Chiarot is the highest paid D and coaches love him, so he'll probably be in the lineup at least."
Walman-Seider
Edvinsson-Petry
Chiarot-Ghost
Maatta

And then "Ugh, Chiarot Ghost is a disaster pairing. That's like pulling the goalie."
Walman-Seider
Chiarot-Petry
Ed-Ghost
Maatta

"Are they really going to run a rookie Edvinsson next to Ghost? That will just be missed coverage and penalties."
Walman Seider
Chiarot-Petry
Maatta-Ghost
Holl

It's a depressing exercise.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you want my honest opinion, Stevie backed himself into a corner by signing so many guys and handing out bad contracts like chiarot. I understand the sentiment of making young guys work for their roles but contracts like chariots are an albatross and extremely hard to move and there is no way he is good enough to be on this roster. Edvinsson and Danielson both look better than guys I’m pretty sure will be on our final roster compared to them and it’s unacceptable.
Saying we are “backed into a corner” is pretty silly, IMO.

He can flip a player at the deadline and get a draft pick back to make room for Edvinsson or Danielson. These kids are 19 and 20 years old. Not being on the opening night roster is not a crime. If Edvinsson wasn’t coming back from an injury we probably add 1 or 2 less defenseman this summer. I’d bet decent money Edvinsson plays over half the season in Detroit. I think Danielson should play in the W this year. We have a ton of flexibility with the roster for next year. Have some patience.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I think the unpopular way to adjust the roster jam is trading actual useful players for solid return allowing younger guys to step in.

Example, trade Maatta over Chariot. Is either really apart of the roster long-term?

Another one is trading David Perron. Like, what cut Fischer just so Danielson can play low minutes? Doesn't make much sense imo. Idk if trading Compher/Copp/Rasmussen is right, they can fit in long-term and two are signed. I guess add Sprong to this list but he's less proven than Perron and idk if he'd get as good of a return as a Perron trade.

Package Perron/Maatta/and a 1st rdp, and you can get an actual shot at trading for a good player for the long-term.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille