Speculation: HOW will/should DRW resolve roster squeeze? (3 goalies, Ed, danielsson)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I remember that. Ken Holland was getting chirped all night by Wings fans while he was in the box. When Abby scored his 3rd goal Kenny lost it. He screamed down to the fans "HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM ABKELS" and did the WWE suck it gesture a good 15 times. It was awesome.
823u6t.jpg

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Not sure where else to put this, was trying to find the Reimer thread, probably didn't look hard enough:

DBoss played his first home game in Detroit against Toronto when Reimer was their starting goalie that night. He had 1 goal and maybe 2 assists? He was on the ice for 4 goals total though. His first goal was quite a nice shot too lol, just ripped it top shelf just under the bar if I remember right.

Trivia: Without looking it up, who got a hat trick that night?
Hint: He was playing on a line with Larkin and one of his goals was on the PP.
Franzen

Shit I was wrong lol. I do remember him playing that game though.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
I find it funny that the same people that mocked me in the offseason for saying that that was just lip service and that the signings were a bad idea because he would do no such thing have pretty much just pivoted to "it's not a big deal that Edvinsson is in Grand Rapids there will be injuries eventually!"
I find it funny that the people that are criticizing Yzerman for the perceived logjam that is keeping Edvinsson down would be the same people f*cking CRUCIFYING him for being unprepared had he not signed Maatta, Chiarot, Holl, Petry and Ghost, and if Edvinsson had shown up to camp clearly not ready for the NHL. Then they would b*tch even more when he either had to overpay to trade for NHL defensemen or roll with something like this

Walman - Seider
(alt universe not NHL ready) Edvinsson - Newpower
Johansson - Rafferty
McIsaac

Then they would b*tch even more about how Yzerman was ruining Edvinsson and Johansson's development by promoting them before they are ready.

It's almost like some people are just here to complain no matter what Yzerman does and should never be taken seriously in the first place.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I find it funny that the people that are criticizing Yzerman for the perceived logjam that is keeping Edvinsson down would be the same people f*cking CRUCIFYING him for being unprepared had he not signed Maatta, Chiarot, Holl, Petry and Ghost, and if Edvinsson had shown up to camp clearly not ready for the NHL. Then they would b*tch even more when he either had to overpay to trade for NHL defensemen or roll with something like this

Walman - Seider
Johansson - Rafferty
McIsaac

Then they would b*tch even more about how Yzerman was ruining Edvinsson and Johansson's development by promoting them before they are ready.

It's almost like some people are just here to complain no matter what Yzerman does and should never be taken seriously in the first place.

I think the sheer ridiculousness of pretending there's no middle ground between signing FIVE guys and zero speaks for itself here

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Walman - Seider
Johansson - Rafferty
McIsaac

This is a ridiculous post

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Walman - Seider
Johansson - Rafferty
McIsaac

Let's acknowledge that there is a contingent of Wings fans that won't be happy unless a move is so good that it will never leave the realm of fantasy.

After we acknowledge that fact, can we also acknowledge that sometimes it is reasonable to criticize this team and its direction. Furthermore, those criticisms are often well-founded. For example when Chiarot was signed, many of us said "that's terrible, hate the player, hate the contract," and were met with a chorus of "our defense is terrible, you'd be unhappy if we didn't improve it." And anyone reasonable could say "just because we wanted some improvement doesn't mean that we want to give a big deal to Ben Chiarot."

This year as we were signing all these D, my refrain was "I guess I'm fine with adding Holl, Ghost and resigning Maatta as long as that doesn't block Edvinsson assuming that he's ready." And then we added Petry and we said "Not sure why we needed him, but fine, as long as this doesn't block Ed." And he we are with Ed blocked.

Maybe it won't be for long, but that's not the point. The point is that we didn't need to sign all of these guys in the first place. We have five third pairing defenseman. Why do we need that many? We don't. It's a waste of money. But if Yzerman wants to waste Illitch money, I don't really care as long as it doesn't block better players from being on the roster. Now that it's doing exactly that I have to say: "I like the Petry trade, the Maatta signing and the Ghost signing on their own. I only kind of hate the Holl signing. I always hated Chiarot but I can live with him on his own. But taken together, I hate these moves."

So sure, it may seem like we're overreacting to Ed being off the roster for what might ultimately be a couple weeks. It's less that I'm upset about that as I am about a consistent overestimation of some of the league's least valuable defenseman.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Tuomisto did nothing for you? I thought he played great and was a pleasant surprise. He has a good, hard shot, big body and it seems like he actually uses it pretty well too. I thought he played much better than Wallinder overall.
As is shown time and again though skating is a huge X factor skill. I just don't buy Tuo having the kind of speed to really play his game in the modern NHL.

Besides, ASP is going to be our savior in terms of blueline scoring. Holy moly is that kid sick.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is the 3-goalie move still a problem for somebody?

Think it will be savior of the season.

No one really would have done this move "as a GM", of any of us in here. Some critiziced the move, some didn't care just wondered why.

But Yzerman did it, and now we are benefitting from it.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

No one really would have done this move "as a GM", of any of us in here. Some critiziced the move, some didn't care just wondered why.

eVeRy TeAm sHouLd CaRrY tHrEe gOaLiEs

Krigsgaldr

Jul 25, 2011
Lexington Kentucky
I remember that. Ken Holland was getting chirped all night by Wings fans while he was in the box. When Abby scored his 3rd goal Kenny lost it. He screamed down to the fans "HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM ABKELS" and did the WWE suck it gesture a good 15 times. It was awesome.
Legendary night that was . What a lot of people don’t realize is that Brett hull learned his Rick flair woooing technique from Kenny while he was in Detroit that night was one of the few times he let the general public hear his nature boy

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

James Reimer and his .892 sv% isn't saving a thing. Even with the injury issues, we could have done exactly what we ended up doing and signing Michael Hutchinson and letting him back up Lyon. Hell, I think there's a fair chance Reimer would have still been on the market at that point, too.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
James Reimer and his .892 sv% isn't saving a thing. Even with the injury issues, we could have done exactly what we ended up doing and signing Michael Hutchinson and letting him back up Lyon. Hell, I think there's a fair chance Reimer would have still been on the market at that point, too.
Assume he only signed Reimer and then the three goalie thing looks much better.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

no offense but this comes across like that guy that always used to say that the Wings could have had both Hronek and Chychrun because they could have drafted Hronek over Givani Smith even though in reality they drafted Smith 7 picks higher

like....yeah the Wings could have in theory signed Lyon and not Reimer if they had only signed one of them

but....it would have been Reimer, it's naive to think that if the Wings were just picking one of them it wouldn't have been the one they gave almost twice the cap hit and a NTC to

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
no offense but this comes across like that guy that always used to say that the Wings could have had both Hronek and Chychrun because they could have drafted Hronek over Givani Smith even though in reality they drafted Smith 7 picks higher

like....yeah the Wings could have in theory signed Lyon and not Reimer if they had only signed one of them

but....it would have been Reimer, it's naive to think that if the Wings were just picking one of them it wouldn't have been the one they gave almost twice the cap hit and a NTC to
Why not the guy they gave twice the term to?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Assume he only signed Reimer and then the three goalie thing looks much better.

Can't I just not like Reimer?

Yeah, Reimer is the guy they signed first. He's signed for marginally more (though the wings would have been only on the hook for, what, $300k against the cap if Reimer was sent to GR?). He was also trash last year. IIRC he wasn't great in the preseason and was outplayed by Lyon. He's since been trash the majority of his starts in the regular season.

Even with signing all three, we could have easily and justifiably sent Reimer to GR at the end of the preseason, went with two goalies, and been fine. Toronto game aside I think there would be a pretty fair case made to send Reimer to GR now and recall Hutchinson.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Sometimes you’re right, sometimes you’re Sprong.

Edit: wrong thread :dunno:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yzerman: ”Hey let’s have 3 options and maybe one will work out.”

Winger98: ”Why didn’t he just go with the option that worked out??”

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

These goalies are like lottery gamble. Who knows who goes hot in whatever-like different system after a scenery change. Martin Jones is now the best goalie for Leafs, their 3rd or 4th options. Adin Hill was the 5th option for Vegas and won the Cup.

You just can't predict how it would go. Reimer could have been the hot goalie, or could not. This time the best lottery ticket was Lyon. No one saw this from a crystal ball.

You just have to buy more lottery tickets, and try them all. Find it out and take advantage of it.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
These goalies are like lottery gamble.

Well, it's because he signed 3 backup goalies. Teams with established starters don't do that.

Between preseason and the first few games for each goalie, Lyon looked the best out of all 3. Fester should have made the switch even before the goalies got injured. I have more of an issue with Fester not being able to evaluate goalies than Stevie taking the gamble.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
These goalies are like lottery gamble. Who knows who goes hot in whatever-like different system after a scenery change. Martin Jones is now the best goalie for Leafs, their 3rd or 4th options. Adin Hill was the 5th option for Vegas and won the Cup.

You just can't predict how it would go. Reimer could have been the hot goalie, or could not. This time the best lottery ticket was Lyon. No one saw this from a crystal ball.

You just have to buy more lottery tickets, and try them all. Find it out and take advantage of it.
Yeah, totally, man. Totally. There's no way to predict how good any goalie will be. It's only a matter of time before every team carries 4 goalies and all goalies get paid the same. Only a matter of time.

Reactions: DoMakc and SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad