Speculation: HOW will/should DRW resolve roster squeeze? (3 goalies, Ed, danielsson)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
looking at the roster waving fischer is almost a certainty. Then probably easiest thing to do would be put danielsson back in the WHL.

Would be pretty unorthodox to carry 12 forwards, 8 D, and 3 goalies.

wonder if they discussed with reimer possiblity he would start in the AHL when they signed him.
The problem is though that Reimer has looked pretty good and steady. He may fit pretty well with our structure. Lyon looks great too, don't get me wrong, but I don't think we can just cast Reimer to the side so quickly.

Can't lyon go to AHL if we don't carry 3 goalies? That seems like the most likely option tbh.

I think the unpopular way to adjust the roster jam is trading actual useful players for solid return allowing younger guys to step in.

Example, trade Maatta over Chariot. Is either really apart of the roster long-term?

Another one is trading David Perron. Like, what cut Fischer just so Danielson can play low minutes? Doesn't make much sense imo. Idk if trading Compher/Copp/Rasmussen is right, they can fit in long-term and two are signed.

Package Perron/Maatta/and a 1st rdp, and you can get an actual shot at trading for a good player for the long-term.
So Nylander still hasn't gotten a contract......

I like Maatta and I could see him being here long term, so I differ with you there. Maatta played the system correctly from day one, got pneumonia and had to go to the third line but still played effectively, just not as much offense as he was prior (but we didn't sign him for his offense because he doesn't really have that. Known as a defensive defensemen IIRC)

Reactions: flychairman

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Waive Fischer. We can find any plug during the season to be 13th forward.

Trade one of Chiarot or Ghost. Use retention to get max value.

Waive Reimer. Nobody will claim him.

Keep Ed up. He will help us win.

Send Danielson back to juniors.
TBL might claim reimer with Vasi out long-term. If your going to waive reimer, I'd rather get something out of it because he has shown pretty capable this preseason/camp.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Unpopular Opinion: I think the Red Wings like Ben Chiarot and value him despite the overwhelming dislike by the HFBoards. Chiarot feels like one of those guys who coaches love because of all the "intangibles" (leader, outspoken, players respond to him, does it the right way, etc. etc. 'essential to building the character and culture of the team).

If Ed does earn himself a spot, I think it comes at the expense of Maatta both in terms of his contract (smaller value and term making it easier to move at the beginning of the season), natural position (LD, middle to bottom pair), NMC in contract, and what I think is his perceived organizational value/role.

Maatta could be sent off to a team like...ANA right now and be their 2nd best LD behind Fowler. They have the cap space to add him, they are thin on LD and they have two younger Fins in the D core this year (both 1st Rd picks) which would make for a nice veteran presence for them.

If Ed comes on board, Maatta makes the most sense to me as the odd man out

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Unpopular Opinion: I think the Red Wings like Ben Chiarot and value him despite the overwhelming dislike by the HFBoards. Chiarot feels like one of those guys who coaches love because of all the "intangibles" (leader, outspoken, players respond to him, does it the right way, etc. etc. 'essential to building the character and culture of the team).

If Ed does earn himself a spot, I think it comes at the expense of Maatta both in terms of his contract (smaller value and term making it easier to move at the beginning of the season), natural position (LD, middle to bottom pair), NMC in contract, and what I think is his perceived organizational value/role.

Maatta could be sent off to a team like...ANA right now and be their 2nd best LD behind Fowler. They have the cap space to add him, they are thin on LD and they have two younger Fins in the D core this year (both 1st Rd picks) which would make for a nice veteran presence for them.

If Ed comes on board, Maatta makes the most sense to me as the odd man out
Vancouver is apparently "working the phones" from one of the most reliable sources in vancouver. I guess the last time he said this, they traded for desmith a couple days later for reference.

Ghost to Vancouver? I would rather lose Ghost that Maatta if you had to choose. We have already been a trading partner with Vancouver so it isn't like there's "bad blood" or whatever. I could see Ghost being traded for like a 2nd or third rounder as they want a RD to play on the second line I guess.

Van:
Ghost

Det:
2nd rounder 2025 (they don't have one 2024) or I guess a combo of 3rd and 5th 2024? Probably too much.

We would have to only trade for picks or a pick + prospect and i don't know their prospects so theres that option too, I suppose.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver is apparently "working the phones" from one of the most reliable sources in vancouver. I guess the last time he said this, they traded for desmith a couple days later for reference.

Ghost to Vancouver? I would rather lose Ghost that Maatta if you had to choose. We have already been a trading partner with Vancouver so it isn't like there's "bad blood" or whatever. I could see Ghost being traded for like a 2nd or third rounder as they want a RD to play on the second line I guess.

Van:
Ghost

Det:
2nd rounder 2025 (they don't have one 2024) or I guess a combo of 3rd and 5th 2024? Probably too much.

We would have to only trade for picks or a pick + prospect and i don't know their prospects so theres that option too, I suppose.
Call Vancouver. Tell them they were given Hronek for picks...but getting him to actually play (by trading them Maatta) will be a much higher pricetag. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Detroit Knights

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
how many healthy scratches are legal? Does it matter if there are 5 or whatever as long as you are under the 23 man roster limit?
Typically teams carry 3. Not sure why you'd purposely decrease the amount of players you have dressed. I believe there is a minimum you need to dress too.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Typically teams carry 3. Not sure why you'd purposely decrease the amount of players you have dressed. I believe there is a minimum you need to dress too.
well i mean like

what if kostin and fischer dont make it but berg and danielson do. can you have three healthy scratches (the 3rd is the goalie if they want the 3g up in the nhl at all times) while still dressing 12f 7d 2g I guess is my main question.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

Van:
Ghost

Det:

Yeah, I saw that and that one is confusing to me. They have a lot invested in the RD spot (Meyers, Hronek, Soucy and Cole) - they added a ton to the right side in the last six months and have like 15M plus invested there. Why are they chasing another RD at this point? Especially when they have no cap space either so it would need to send out salary as well. I believe the source but it doesn’t feel like the whole story.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah, I saw that and that one is confusing to me. They have a lot invested in the RD spot (Meyers, Hronek, Soucy and Cole) - they added a ton to the right side in the last six months and have like 15M plus invested there. Why are they chasing another RD at this point? Especially when they have no cap space either so it would need to send out salary as well. I believe the source but it doesn’t feel like the whole story.
I guess hronek is slated solidly in the second pair RD. So, i was misinformed. I think they are looking for 1RD with Hughes, so nevermind. I highly doubt Ghost would be that person.

Imagine if it was chiarot though? my god. I like the idea of chiarot for DET and I actually like his perceived style of play, he just isn't a top 4 D right now foooor uuuuuusssss:sarcasm:

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)

That would be a pretty good opening night roster.

Send the waiver-exempt guys down. They'll play later in the year, because we've got some older guys in this lineup and there's very little chance that they'll all avoid a season-ending injury at some point this year.

Having too many good players is a great problem to have in such a physical sport.

Reactions: 14ari13 and lilidk

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
In other news

First line at practice today was:

Cat-Larkin-Big Ras
I love the idea -- piano mover who's also smart, and we can push some scoring talent down to the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Other than the presence of Fischer, and four defensive pairings, I think this is probably the ideal line and pairing arrangement, if we want to hold onto assets and not lose anyone for nothing via waivers.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

for everyone lamenting how many vets we have signed, I really like what's there but wish we had one more vet forward we didn't mind pressboxing more often than not. I would have maybe claimed Khaira just to be that guy. Waive Edvinsson to call up later when someone gets hurt, same with Berggren.

Reactions: 14ari13

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Berggren has easily done enough and shown enough in the pre-season and past to make the team. The question is how much ice-time would he get on this roster. I'm sure they don't want him on the 4th line. Perhaps they'd rather see him play top minutes in GR.

Same with Danielson and Brandon Wheat Kings.

Elmer simply hasn't shown much at all.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I know it's early and I'm overreacting, but if that ends up being the lineup...I feel like we're kind of going backwards - I think we'll have an older lineup this year than last. Seems odd for a rebuild.

Reactions: Konnan511

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad