Speculation: HOW will/should DRW resolve roster squeeze? (3 goalies, Ed, danielsson)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No wonder they'll put Chiarot-Petry and Määttä-Gostisbehere together.

Those pairs were two best at pre-season stats. No goals scored against and 70% xGF%.

Chiarot sucked with Holl and Gosti, Määttä didn't work with Holl.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The GR thing is likely just a paper move right now. Like I don't think he is in GR right now. Whoever is the 13th forward is likely still in Detroit and that could true for any of the ones sent down. Season hasn't started yet, so a lot of things are just paper. No different than during the season, when they send waiver exempt guys to GR, eventhough the next time they play that player is still in the Wings lineup.
Problem with this theory is that Lalonde has already confirmed they are rolling with 12 forwards, and if one gets hurt by Thursday, they’ll dress 11 for the game.

There’s really no point in assigning the guy to GR right now if the intent isn’t to play him there. Paper moves are made for cap or roster reasons, but there’s no real benefit in this case, unless you think Detroit is pinching pennies to the point of saving 2 days worth of almost league minimum salary (2/287*775K = $5,401). And they obviously don’t need the roster spot.

There was a theory when he was waived that they just wanted the flexibility to send him down in the next 30 days, but that he’d be the 13th forward to start the season. However, assigning him to GR effectively confirms that’s not the case.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Problem with this theory is that Lalonde has already confirmed they are rolling with 12 forwards, and if one gets hurt by Thursday, they’ll dress 11 for the game.

There’s really no point in assigning the guy to GR right now if the intent isn’t to play him there. Paper moves are made for cap or roster reasons, but there’s no real benefit in this case, unless you think Detroit is pinching pennies to the point of saving 2 days worth of almost league minimum salary (2/287*775K = $5,401). And they obviously don’t need the roster spot.

There was a theory when he was waived that they just wanted the flexibility to send him down in the next 30 days, but that he’d be the 13th forward to start the season. However, assigning him to GR effectively confirms that’s not the case.

Ah yes, I forgot about 3 goalies being up. I don't think that will last long though.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Ah yes, I forgot about 3 goalies being up. I don't think that will last long though.
I’m very curious to see how long it lasts. They’re keeping both Reimer and Lyon up because they know they’d be claimed if either was waived. And that will likely remain true for quite some time. Carrying 3 goalies is a lot more difficult than a lot of fans realize though. I really wonder if in the scenario where Hutchinson signs for GR Stevie proceeds to trade one of Reimer or Lyon.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Several people are conveniently forgetting that these veterans were signed when Edvinsson had a RANGE of when he might be healed up from the surgery. It just so happens that it resulted in a best case scenario of a faster recovery and the kid playing fairly well once he returned.

Do I think they may have added one too many guys? Sure. But following a season of a terrible lack of depth, coupled with an unknown timetable of a prospect's return...were they supposed to sit on their hands and just assume that all the kids would be ready to take over?

The team actually has depth now. That's a good thing. The shiny new toy can continue to polish his game in Grand Rapids and be called up at a moment's notice - he has plenty of time to grow into what will likely be a wonderful NHL career.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Several people are conveniently forgetting that these veterans were signed when Edvinsson had a RANGE of when he might be healed up from the surgery. It just so happens that it resulted in a best case scenario of a faster recovery and the kid playing fairly well once he returned.

Do I think they may have added one too many guys? Sure. But following a season of a terrible lack of depth, coupled with an unknown timetable of a prospect's return...were they supposed to sit on their hands and just assume that all the kids would be ready to take over?

The team actually has depth now. That's a good thing. The shiny new toy can continue to polish his game in Grand Rapids and be called up at a moment's notice - he has plenty of time to grow into what will likely be a wonderful NHL career.
A range of good to go day one to good to go second month of the season? Would be a terrible reason to make those signings.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A range of good to go day one to good to go second month of the season? Would be a terrible reason to make those signings.

Recovery <> fully integrated into the lineup and playing well. A worst case scenario would've been fully healed in November but not in game shape for possibly another month. That's over a quarter of the season.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
The GR thing is likely just a paper move right now. Like I don't think he is in GR right now. Whoever is the 13th forward is likely still in Detroit and that could true for any of the ones sent down. Season hasn't started yet, so a lot of things are just paper. No different than during the season, when they send waiver exempt guys to GR, eventhough the next time they play that player is still in the Wings lineup.
maybe or they run with 22 players (12 forwards) till injuries happen

EDIT: via khan twitter, lalonde said tehy arre not calling up a 13th forward

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006

Recovery <> fully integrated into the lineup and playing well. A worst case scenario would've been fully healed in November but not in game shape for possibly another month. That's over a quarter of the season.
Again, Yzerman stated, he will make space if necessary. It is fine to create depth if you think depth is required, but you need to make decision based on current information and not on idea that you still don't know when Edvinsson is going to be available. Just play your best D

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I think the roster looks substantially better than it did a few years ago. I am still skeptical they can be in the playoff picture in the spring due to depth, but I am liking what I see.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Again, Yzerman stated, he will make space if necessary. It is fine to create depth if you think depth is required, but you need to make decision based on current information and not on idea that you still don't know when Edvinsson is going to be available. Just play your best D

I find it funny that the same people that mocked me in the offseason for saying that that was just lip service and that the signings were a bad idea because he would do no such thing have pretty much just pivoted to "it's not a big deal that Edvinsson is in Grand Rapids there will be injuries eventually!"

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You have a different definition of necessary than Yzerman.

It wasn't necessary for him to make space.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I am very excited for the season and can't wait to cheer on the Wings but I gotta be honest, the roster management feels a bit directionless and chaotic at the moment.

- Beginning the season with three goalies
- Your second best defenseman is in the AHL behind a plethora of 3rd pairing dmen (imo)
- Pigeonholed into running 11x7 because you can't scratch your brand new signing (Holl @ 3x3.4)

Seider/Raymond/Rasmussen are all due for a raise this coming offseason. We are okay for now but one more Chiarot-esque contract and we have to start talking about cap issues. We are spending ~25% of our cap over the next three years on Chiarot, Holl, Copp and Compher. I just look at our current roster/cap situation and I don't feel great about it.

Like why the hell is Edvinsson stuck behind Shayne Gostisbehere? What was the point of that signing? Why did we sign Holl to such a deal if he's barely got a spot on the roster? Objectively they are very questionable decisions, regardless of your beliefs in Yzerman
tbf, lalonde has said multiple times before preseason and during preseason that he likes 11x7 model, especially on the road because it can create matchup issues for the other team when you are getting extra shifts in for the top guys and the lines jumble up and forces the other team to make quick decisions when players start going over the boards. Since the away team changes first and home team gets the advantage there.

I don't think Ray get's a huge raise, I think he gets a 3 year bridge around 4-5 mil. Seider will get paid, especially because of Dahlin's contract. Rasmussen will probably get a bridge and hopefully soon before he starts popping off, probably 3x3-4. All is very manageable.

Holl isn't the reason of the recent signing that scratches the head. It was Petry becoming available for a cheap price. Then, Petry randomly played quite well and probably a little better than holl, hence holl sitting. Lalonde did say there would be a rotation for the D because they are carrying 7 d. I am pretty sure ghost is going to be traded by thanksgivings. It is quite possible that Ed wasn't 100% from his injury and instead of being rotated in the lineup, he could get top line minutes in GR for now. I don't see ghost on here before January unless we are really buzzing and have the eastern conference 1/2 see locked up by january, of which is just not going to happen.

I don't know what to say about the 3 goalies. I was first under the impression that Lyon could be sent down and that would be fine, but someone pointed out that is not the case and he would be on waivers. I can only assume that they are waiting to see which one fu*ks up first and trade them, but 🤷‍♂️ .

Reactions: raymond23

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Not sure where else to put this, was trying to find the Reimer thread, probably didn't look hard enough:

DBoss played his first home game in Detroit against Toronto when Reimer was their starting goalie that night. He had 1 goal and maybe 2 assists? He was on the ice for 4 goals total though. His first goal was quite a nice shot too lol, just ripped it top shelf just under the bar if I remember right.

Trivia: Without looking it up, who got a hat trick that night?
Hint: He was playing on a line with Larkin and one of his goals was on the PP.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Not sure where else to put this, was trying to find the Reimer thread, probably didn't look hard enough:

DBoss played his first home game in Detroit against Toronto when Reimer was their starting goalie that night. He had 1 goal and maybe 2 assists? He was on the ice for 4 goals total though. His first goal was quite a nice shot too lol, just ripped it top shelf just under the bar if I remember right.

I don't even remember who he played with besides Zetts and he wasn't scoring like that in his last years. Was it Bobby Ryan? I don't even remember if he was on that team, I just remember Ryan had a hot start.

Edit: It was not.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
It was way before Ryan's time at the club. Wanna say Franzen, but I believe he was injured. Must have been Abdelkader. I know he scored a hat trick in a season opener.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

I'm gonna go with what would be the most disappointing answer and guess Abdelkader.

• Love

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I'm gonna go with what would be the most disappointing answer and guess Abdelkader.
It was way before Ryan's time at the club. Wanna say Franzen, but I believe he was injured. Must have been Abdelkader. I know he scored a hat trick in a season opener.
It was Abdelkader.

I couldn't believe it. Youtube suggested a video that someone uploaded of all detroit home openers since like 1986 and I fast forwarded to a couple years I was interested in like 97/98 after winningthe cups and stuff and lidstroms last opener. Then I was trying to find larkin's and there it was, fricken abdelkader scoring 3 goals. But Larkin was on the ice and making plays though.

First I saw Reimer in net, so I thought that was interesting how larkin's first game, first goal, first assist was against his now teammate 7 years later in Reimer.

Reactions: jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2