Speculation: HOW will/should DRW resolve roster squeeze? (3 goalies, Ed, danielsson)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I believe he smokes weed rather than taking in prescriptions because of his knee.

Could be wrong, but I am pretty confident in it.
It wouldn't surprise me. The osteotomy surgery he had is a pretty crude "fix." I could understand using weed for pain management rather than opioids.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me. The osteotomy surgery he had is a pretty crude "fix." I could understand using weed for pain management rather than opioids.
Look, I am not a weed guy. Never touched drugs. But I certainly understand why people would opt for medical weed if it completely helps and gives a pain free feeling (or dulls it) than taking opiods. You get hooked on opiods, it's over. Unless you can get off of it and not get addicted.

Haven't see the netflix movie "Painkillers" yet, but I saw a clip from Joe Rogan about the movie/how they treat people with opiods and I can't wait to watch it.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Look, I am not a weed guy. Never touched drugs. But I certainly understand why people would opt for medical weed if it completely helps and gives a pain free feeling (or dulls it) than taking opiods. You get hooked on opiods, it's over. Unless you can get off of it and not get addicted.

Haven't see the netflix movie "Painkillers" yet, but I saw a clip from Joe Rogan about the movie/how they treat people with opiods and I can't wait to watch it.

opoids scare the hell out of me

just the idea of how easily I could get some sort of injury someday and pick up a nasty addiction just trying to manage my pain from it even as someone that barely even drinks let alone would normally need to worry about a drug addiction

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Ed will be up as soon the first injury happens and it's more than likely that there will be more injuries and Ed stays up for the rest of the season. Ed will play less than 15 games in GR and around 65-70 games in Detroit this season, if he's healthy.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
opoids scare the hell out of me

just the idea of how easily I could get some sort of injury someday and pick up a nasty addiction just trying to manage my pain from it even as someone that barely even drinks let alone would normally need to worry about a drug addiction
The worse part is that if you don't have a smart enough doctor, they will just throw rx after rx for you and you barely have to ask for it. Crazy.

Ed will be up as soon the first injury happens and it's more than likely that there will be more injuries and Ed stays up for the rest of the season. Ed will play less than 15 games in GR and around 65-70 games in Detroit this season, if he's healthy.
I see Ed being a mainstay after we trade Ghost. I think Ghost (hopefully after a hot start offensively) gets traded by thanksgiving, paving the way for ed. Some have said Maatta because of his trade value, but I hope we are in a position that makes Maatta stay because he fits the system perfectly.

Reactions: SantosHalper

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The worse part is that if you don't have a smart enough doctor, they will just throw rx after rx for you and you barely have to ask for it. Crazy.
I think it's less about how smart they are and more about how much they receive in kickbacks from the pharmaceutical industry.

It should have been, "D.A.R.E., to keep kids off drugs.... prescribed by doctors."

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Chiarot was signed last offseason, let's not pretend this was a contract signed years ago, that started off well, and eventually soured. That contract looked awful the day it was signed, and looks even worse now.

And, with Edvinsson in GR, we are icing an inferior team to start the year. If we want to be a Cup competitive team, shouldn't the best players be playing in the NHL and not in the AHL?
Oh. OHHHH. Things are starting to make a lot more sense. You think we could be a cup competitive team.
I see.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Have we now officially arrived at the point where folks would blame KH for everything or defend SY from everything?

Not every decision KH made was wrong

Not every decision SY makes is right

If we cant at least admit that...close the forum down
I want Ken Holland back to make these carbon copy decicions from same GM playbook as Yzerman does.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I see Ed being a mainstay after we trade Ghost. I think Ghost (hopefully after a hot start offensively) gets traded by thanksgiving, paving the way for ed. Some have said Maatta because of his trade value, but I hope we are in a position that makes Maatta stay because he fits the system perfectly.
Yup, other teams are starting to have injuries and Wings can easily retain salary, and Wings also gets asset's back rather than giving Ghost or someone else away for free. Smart asset management.

I also see that it is Ghost who get's traded eventually.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
So, the Wings have only 22 players rostered at the moment, including 3 goalies and 12 forwards. And Simon Edvinsson in GR.

What happens next???

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Poor Edvinsson.

Kid comes to America hoping to play in the NHL and bang hot chicks. Instead, he gets sent to Grand Rapids, Michigan, to fill the shoes of Brian Lashoff and play with a bunch of jobbers.
Nobody leaves Sweden home of the hot blonde women to come to Murica to bang hot chicks.

Reactions: Geezer WC and GMR

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Yup, other teams are starting to have injuries and Wings can easily retain salary, and Wings also gets asset's back rather than giving Ghost or someone else away for free. Smart asset management.

I also see that it is Ghost who get's traded eventually.
Ghost just has a higher probability of getting a higher return. If he is being offensively useful while keeping his +/- and other stats palatable, we could get a 1st for him. Whether that is late or early, doesn't matter. The best part is, we can bring up Ed and not take a large hit in team chemistry because Holl - Ed pairing was quite good in preseason. He also played well with Chiarot last year after the first 2 games.

Whereas if you take out maatta and keep Ghost to bring up Ed, it might harm us more than do good. Maatta just plays the system as it was designed a lot better than ghost.

I think it's less about how smart they are and more about how much they receive in kickbacks from the pharmaceutical industry.

It should have been, "D.A.R.E., to keep kids off drugs.... prescribed by doctors."
well said.

Reactions: jkutswings

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Regarding the osteotomy... On the day that what everyone knew was going to be Yzerman's retirement presser was scheduled, I asked my manager if I could take my lunch break when it was going on and explained what it likely was. My manager said she didn't blame him because she had undergone an osteotomy as well and understood how tough it probably was for him.

....and I'm not exaggerating when I say that this lady walked like an actor REALLY trying to sell being a peg leg pirate.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I wouldn't call him soft, but i would definitely call him stubborn. He's not worried about hurting Chiarot's feelings by waiving him, but if he waives him, he's admitting he made a mistake by signing him to that contract to begin with.

We're spending over 15 million dollars on depth defencemen (Chiarot, Maatta, Holl, Ghost). Toss in Copp, and that's 20+ million dished out in the last 2 free agencies on depth players.

he should, but he will probably go hide like he always does
whats better for the team : 20 mil on depth players that improve team and take pressure off the young kids coming up giving them more time to develop ? or signing nobody thusly not improving team but holding on to cap space ? those were yzermans choices . but keeping thinking you know more about running an nhl team than yzerman . plus the ufa vets are helping to establish lalondes system and teach kids

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Well the good news is Chiarot and Holl won’t be able to play together.
chiarot and petry just makes sense regardless since they've played with each other before and it apparently worked well.
Regarding the osteotomy... On the day that what was everyone knew was going to be Yzerman's retirement presser was scheduled, I asked my manager if I could take my lunch break when it was going on and explained what it likely was. My manager said she didn't blame him because she had undergone an osteotomy as well and understood how tough it probably was for him.

....and I'm not exaggerating when I say that this lady walked like an actor REALLY trying to sell being a peg leg pirate.
this is exactly why what he did during those playoffs was heroic in the hockey sense. That's why everyone played that much harder. Hey. Stevie is barely on one leg here, I think we can go out there and put more effort up.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Regarding the osteotomy... On the day that what was everyone knew was going to be Yzerman's retirement presser was scheduled, I asked my manager if I could take my lunch break when it was going on and explained what it likely was. My manager said she didn't blame him because she had undergone an osteotomy as well and understood how tough it probably was for him.

yeah I don't know how many people realize what a gnarly surgery that is. I have to assume that Yzerman is trying to wait as long as possible before he gets a full knee replacement.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
yeah I don't know how many people realize what a gnarly surgery that is. I have to assume that Yzerman is trying to wait as long as possible before he gets a full knee replacement.
well, you can tell it still hurts. When he walked on stage for Danielson they had an extended look at everyone walking up and he looked like he was limping pretty hard and trying to disguise it a bit.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
chiarot and petry just makes sense regardless since they've played with each other before and it apparently worked well.

this is exactly why what he did during those playoffs was heroic in the hockey sense. That's why everyone played that much harder. Hey. Stevie is barely on one leg here, I think we can go out there and put more effort up.
meh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad