Salary Cap: How much AAV are you willing to give Tyson Barrie on a 7-8 year extension?

How much AAV are you willing to give Barrie?

• Total voters

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Leafs will have $16 mil to sign 12 players next season, if the cap doesn't change. Barrie is not getting a leaf contract
Assuming the cap goes up to 84m, Leafs will have about 12m to spend on Barrie and a 2nd pairing defenseman, without even making any moves.

Barrie can be easily signed if that's what the Leafs want.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Damage is done. He traded away a very fairly priced center because he failed to insulate him for the playoffs. And now has to sign a deal the next year? Hahaha. Cause we all know how good at contracts he is. We're ****ed.
Kerfoot makes even less than Kadri and had a comparable season, so if you're only looking at price you should love the trade

Reactions: Blair and kb

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Damage is done. He traded away a very fairly priced center because he failed to insulate him for the playoffs. And now has to sign a deal the next year? Hahaha. Cause we all know how good at contracts he is. We're ****ed.

Failed to insulate Kadri in the playoffs? What does that even mean?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Barrie plays a lot like Rielly in his own zone, both in terms of style and results. A lot of people think Rielly is a stud defensively.

Except Rielly is actually good defensively by all metrics and eye test, meanwhile Barrie is the opposite.

If there was even a single shread of truth to the bullshit you just made up, Colorado wouldnt have retained half his salary and traded a completely serviceable #3C for Kadri.

Can you imagine trading Rielly and Kerfoot for Kadri. LMFAO f***ing morons on this board

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Failed to insulate Kadri in the playoffs? What does that even mean?
We sat Matt f***ing Martin for a series with Boston making Kadri 'that guy'. Not like we know he's a hot head or anything...and he gets suspended. So what do we do the following year? The exact same thing. Put that hat right back on Kadri and what do ya know...the same thing happened. What's the definition of insanity again?

It means they didn't toughen up the team to make sure Kadri didn't have to play that role. We could have gotten Simmonds for nothing. If all he did was make sure Kadri wasn't suspended...he'd be worth it. And we managed to get even more buttery this year. You really think this team can get through 4 rounds of playoff hockey? I don't. They don't even have a captain ffs.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
We sat Matt ****ing Martin for a series with Boston making Kadri 'that guy'. Not like we know he's a hot head or anything...and he gets suspended. So what do we do the following year? The exact same thing. Put that hat right back on Kadri and what do ya know...the same thing happened. What's the definition of insanity again?

It means they didn't toughen up the team to make sure Kadri didn't have to play that role. We could have gotten Simmonds for nothing. If all he did was make sure Kadri wasn't suspended...he'd be worth it. And we managed to get even more buttery this year. You really think this team can get through 4 rounds of playoff hockey? I don't. They don't even have a captain ffs.
Harpur led the league in fighting majors last year, but ok. Keep tilting at those windmills though.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Cool. Change the goalposts.

Who are you a fan of? It isn't the Leafs.
How did I change the goalpost? We're a soft team. Some goon dman that will likely not play much cause he's bad doesn't make us tougher. Maybe Clarkson and Horton can chip in too. lirl

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We sat Matt ****ing Martin for a series with Boston making Kadri 'that guy'. Not like we know he's a hot head or anything...and he gets suspended. So what do we do the following year? The exact same thing. Put that hat right back on Kadri and what do ya know...the same thing happened. What's the definition of insanity again?

it seems like you're reaching quite a bit. Not playing a bad hockey player in Matt Martin didn't force Kadri into getting himself suspended two years in a row. The problem here is you've already drawn your conclusion that Dubas sucks at everything, and you're trying to make the evidence fit around that view, even if it doesn't really work

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't think for a second we resign Barrie. I'd love to keep him but he will earn his 8M and we will realize Rielly is worth more and we have to save some room. I think we end up resigning Muzzin at considerably less and less term. Let Dermott, Liljegren and Sandin start to eat up minutes.

But hats off to Barrie. I'm sure he will be great this year and will be looking for a new 8 year deal with a few great offensive seasons under his belt and a shiny new ring to show off. Good for him.

Reactions: Duffman955

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Except Rielly is actually good defensively by all metrics and eye test, meanwhile Barrie is the opposite.

If there was even a single shread of truth to the bull**** you just made up, Colorado wouldnt have retained half his salary and traded a completely serviceable #3C for Kadri.

Can you imagine trading Rielly and Kerfoot for Kadri. LMFAO ****ing morons on this board
Yeah no, most metrics have Rielly as bad to terrible defensively. And I never said that Barrie is equal to Rielly overall. Before you call people moron, try understanding a simple post.

Go check how Rielly's defense looks by RAPM for example. Two standard deviations to the negative. He lead all defenders in expected goals against. He was one of the worst in relative CA, GA, xGA. Other contextualized stats are very unflattering to him defensively as well.

He's a terrific playdriver and one of the best offensively in the league. The reason we don't talk about him like a Burns or Karlsson is opportunity, plain and simple. Barrie, on the other hand, isn't the playdriver that Rielly is. Still absolutely terrific offensively though.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
How did I change the goalpost? We're a soft team. Some goon dman that will likely not play much cause he's bad doesn't make us tougher. Maybe Clarkson and Horton can chip in too. lirl
You changed the goalposts by complaining that we sat Matt Martin (a bad hockey player) in a series against Boston, yet when the poster suggested inputing a similarily tough( maybe tougher) but also bad player you complained about that too.

The only consistency is that you hate every move the Leafs make regardless of what it is apparently.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I don't think for a second we resign Barrie. I'd love to keep him but he will earn his 8M and we will realize Rielly is worth more and we have to save some room. I think we end up resigning Muzzin at considerably less and less term. Let Dermott, Liljegren and Sandin start to eat up minutes.

But hats off to Barrie. I'm sure he will be great this year and will be looking for a new 8 year deal with a few great offensive seasons under his belt and a shiny new ring to show off. Good for him.
I wonder if we could convince Barrie to take something around 2-3 years between 7-8M.

Would allow him to try and get that 7 year deal at age 30 and get some guaranteed big money into his mid-late 30's.

If he has great years here he would cash in big time and it would give us flexibility when Liljegren and Sandin are due for new deals.

Reactions: The Magic Man

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
"We got rid of a depth player who can hit and fight and not do much else, and that's why our season was ruined!"
"Here, we just acquired a depth player who can hit and fight and not do much else."
"LOL, some goon who won't play much won't change anything!"

You mean Tavares and Muzzin? Because that's who Dubas added to the team he was given.
Yeah. Possibly our two grittiest players, playing an aggregate 40+ minutes per game, yet it's somehow Dubas fault we were soft. The narrative is set in stone for some.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

I’m just assuming we resign Barrie, otherwise that’s was an atrocious trade.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I’m just assuming we resign Barrie, otherwise that’s was an atrocious trade.
Nope.

The difference between Kadri and Kerfoot in the 3 spot for 3 years isnt bigger than 1m dollars, an extra year of Kerfoot, and a year of Barrie at 2.75.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You'd think winning would affect whether it's a good trade or not. Apparently not a consideration for some Leafs fans.

Winning the cup this season would be the only thing that would make the trade okay IF the intention was to let Barrie walk after one season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad