Salary Cap: How much AAV are you willing to give Tyson Barrie on a 7-8 year extension?

How much AAV are you willing to give Barrie?

• Total voters

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think it's pretty likely right now that both Barrie and Muzzin walk:

Move into the next season with:
#1: Rielly
#2: ???
#3: Dermott
#4: Sandin/Liljegren
#5: Sandin/Liljegren
#6: UFA or maybe a Hollowell/Lindgren/Duszak surprises

Kapanen or Johnsson + are traded for that #2, and hopefully it's a long-term option.

I have a hard time seeing us come up with the money for a long-term Tyson Barrie contract.

Muzzin is probably more likely on a 3/4-year deal at $5.5-6M per.
I honestly would stay away from Muzzin. I think age-related regression will hit him hard and soon.

If we can keep Barrie, we should. I think it's more likely that we move Kapanen, replace him with Bracco, and use the money freed up to re-sign Barrie. If he's willing to stay, that is.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I honestly would stay away from Muzzin. I think age-related regression will hit him hard and soon.

If we can keep Barrie, we should. I think it's more likely that we move Kapanen, replace him with Bracco, and use the money freed up to re-sign Barrie. If he's willing to stay, that is.

I'd go 3 years on Muzzin, but that is it.

Barrie is okay at 7x7 or 7.25M at most but that is it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hot Take:
Ceci impresses and is brought back on a 6-6.5 x 4 and is re-signed along with Muzzin

I have a hard time seeing Ceci put up the offensive numbers to justify 6ish mil.

He has a career high of just 26 points and will get zero pp time.

Though time will tell I suppose

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yeah.

Muzzin's playing style would suggest hed eventually due for some physical regression. Barrie can rely on his superb puck handling once his skating begins to regress.and imo is the safer bet in terms of offsetting any die decline

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Kapanen and Bracco play totally different roles though, and Bracco isn’t a garuntee to pan out at all... I hope that isn’t our plan going forward...

If it were up to me, Johnsson and/or Kerfoot are shipped out before Kapanen.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Kapanen and Bracco play totally different roles though, and Bracco isn’t a garuntee to pan out at all... I hope that isn’t our plan going forward...

If it were up to me, Johnsson and/or Kerfoot are shipped out before Kapanen.
Very viable alternatives that. I was thinking more from a RW vs LW point of view.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
You can't keep them all and make a legit team. Insufferable, lol, understanding that in a cap league you can't have 4 forward players making 50% of the cap is very different.

Lilj, Barrie, Sandin, Dermott, Rielly, Freddy will all be paid a fair bit. Cap planning for 8 years from now starts today. You need to project it, map it out and make sure when you make a change you have a rough idea how to steer the ship before you rock the boat or beach it. Sure there would be guess work but not doing this is why so many clubs fall flat.

Why do we look good this season? Rentals that cost 1sts. We are converting assets to cheap temp contracts. Good plan until you run out of assets. If Lilj and Sandin are stars off the bat, we get 3 a few more years but, rookie D contender?? Has it worked?
Lil and San are stars off the bat? They'd already be on the team if they were that. If you really need cap room, just trade Nylander already. I honestly don't get why you'd throw away your top scoring forward, who plays in all scenarios. It's why I call this place insufferable during the summer. It's just one wild pitch after the next. Mitch is not getting moved. Not even for four 1sts.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
At this point, who we should move for cap purposes, ordered by preference:

Ceci |
Ceci | - Poor player with expiring contract not nearly providing that value
CECI |
Muzzin - Expiring contract
Johnsson |
Kerfoot | - Fine contracts on long-term players, but not irreplacable
Kapanen |
Nylander - Question marks
Tavares/Rielly | Value they bring long-term not a lot above costs, but almost impossible to replace
Marner/Matthews | Nope

I don't know why people jump to the end of that list whenever the idea pops up that we might need a bit of cap space.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
At this point, who we should move for cap purposes, ordered by preference:

Ceci |
Ceci | - Poor player with expiring contract not nearly providing that value
CECI |
Muzzin - Expiring contract
Johnsson |
Kerfoot | - Fine contracts on long-term players, but not irreplacable
Kapanen |
Nylander - Question marks
Tavares/Rielly | Value they bring long-term not a lot above costs, but almost impossible to replace
Marner/Matthews | Nope

I don't know why people jump to the end of that list whenever the idea pops up that we might need a bit of cap space.

That's the logical order. Trading Muzzin would secure a 1st which could bring a deadline Dman or other. The other is perhaps the return Jake G for free. That would be my play, not sure how movable Ceci is.

Add. Free acquisition, short term.

Last edited:

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
You can't keep them all and make a legit team. Insufferable, lol, understanding that in a cap league you can't have 4 forward players making 50% of the cap is very different.

Lilj, Barrie, Sandin, Dermott, Rielly, Freddy will all be paid a fair bit. Cap planning for 8 years from now starts today. You need to project it, map it out and make sure when you make a change you have a rough idea how to steer the ship before you rock the boat or beach it. Sure there would be guess work but not doing this is why so many clubs fall flat.

Why do we look good this season? Rentals that cost 1sts. We are converting assets to cheap temp contracts. Good plan until you run out of assets. If Lilj and Sandin are stars off the bat, we get 3 a few more years but, rookie D contender?? Has it worked?
They need to trade a certain forward who Must Not Be Named.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
h951D7CC9
Or a Finn

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

It doesn't always work that way. Look at the guy who won the norris this year. Muzzy is not old by defensive defenseman standards and is a valuable player right now. Projecting decline is not a science. I don't know how a decline happens but Muzzy is solid and fresh still.

I would keep Muzzy if having to make the choice and manage tbe cap. Someone could come right behind this post and say get rid of both and promote Lilly and Sandin. I couldn't completely disagree with that totally!

I guess one never knows what a GM is planning. I believe he would love to keep both but likely won't be able to. Thats what i believe too!

Lilly putting everything he has learned defensively now together into a all round game this season with the Marlies would answer to what will becone of Barrie.

It will be interesting to watch Lilly's game this year. We need him to pop offensively and maintain his very much improved defensive game to know.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It doesn't always work that way. Look at the guy who won the norris this year. Muzzy is not old by defensive defenseman standards and is a valuable player right now. Projecting decline is not a science. I don't know how a decline happens but Muzzy is solid and fresh still.
Projecting decline is pretty much playing the percentages. Giordano is one in a thousand, while what I described with Muzzin is commonplace. We don't know what Muzzin will be, but I'd take the bet for the latter.

I agree that Liljegren will be integral to what we'll need to do about our defense going forward.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Barrie is currently seeking +$8 mil AAV a season and if he has a strong 50-60 point season this year we could be looking and north of $9 mil AAV as the starting point for his next deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad