Salary Cap: How much AAV are you willing to give Tyson Barrie on a 7-8 year extension?

How much AAV are you willing to give Barrie?

• Total voters

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Let's be real here, Tyson Barrie is going to be looking for a 7 year deal after this season with a new team, or a 7-8 year extension with us. He'll be 29 at the end of the season and will want a big payday to maximize career earnings as he was on a very team friendly contract with Colorado. People thinking he'll sign a 3-5 year deal with less AAV are fooling themselves.

How much would you be willing to give Barrie on a 7-8 year deal before you say "Ah screw it, he can leave"?

I personally think $8 million is as high as we can afford to go with Matthews, Tavares and Marner likely going to be making $10+ million each, and with Rielly and Andersen our next key contract re-signings in the future. IMO, Barrie is probably a rental this year and will be a goner July 1st unless we trade someone.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
um, none of the above?
I don't think we will want to sign him for a crazy amount, there will be better deals out there in the trade market.
Perhaps Lily will be ready too!
I think Muzzin will be a better deal.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Depends on how well he fits in. If he puts up another monster season you can at least seriously consider a 7-8 mil aav. His style of play isn't likely to see a huge decline over the next few days.

Though important to remember Rielly will.be due for a huge raise soon.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don't know what you're lol'ing for man lol

Teams will pay Barrie $8+ easily on a 7 year deal July 1st. 60 point defencemen don't grow on trees.

Don't you remember people saying similar things about Gardiner?

On a 7-8 year deal, a 28 (nearly 29) year old Barrie's cap hit goes down, not up.

On a 4-5 year deal, you could argue for 8-8.5 mil... but on a 7-8 year deal, the number is be closer to 6.5-7.

I was loling that you wouldn't accomodate my opinion. You created one lower option, which is still too high.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Your options are too high. I was thinking 6.5-7.

Are you taking the piss? Why the **** is he taking something that light?

Sure, he's going to take a home town discount just like Nylander, Matthews and Marner will and did :laugh:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If we're being realistic we need to consider what others will offer him + cap inflation.

I think 8-9 gets the job done. Given how rare good RHD are I am inclined to give that much but obviously need to do the math on how that affects the rest of the cap situation because we will need money for Reilly / Andersen.

Plus who knows Marner may demand $14m making affording anyone else a moot point

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Don't you remember people saying similar things about Gardiner?

On a 7-8 year deal, a 28 (nearly 29) year old Barrie's cap hit goes down, not up.

On a 4-5 year deal, you could argue for 8-8.5 mil... but on a 7-8 year deal, the number is be closer to 6.5-7.

I was loling that you wouldn't accomodate my opinion. You created one lower option, which is still too high.
Nobody ever said Gardiner was gonna get $8+ million a year, especially after his last 2 playoff performances. Gardiner's also never put up Barrie numbers, and Barrie also doesn't have a lingering back injury that needs surgery, at least as far as we know. Barrie's agent will simply say to teams "We want what Carlson or Trouba signed for" if he has an absolute monster year this season.

I won't add 6.5-7 because that is a joke lol

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
How about, ‘I’ll wait and see how he performs this season’.
I expect very good things from Tyson, but nothing is carved in stone.

Reactions: Kurtz

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean... shouldn't we see how he plays with the team, and how the team plays with him?

Reactions: Kurtz

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I mean... shouldn't we see how he plays with the team, and how the team plays with him?
Sure, but since he is 28 years old and in the prime of his career, we can likely expect more of the same and maybe even more considering we aren't a 1 line team like the Avs.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Nobody ever said Gardiner was gonna get $8+ million a year, especially after his last 2 playoff performances. Gardiner's also never put up Barrie numbers, and Barrie also doesn't have a lingering back injury that needs surgery, at least as far as we know. Barrie's agent will simply say to teams "We want what Carlson or Trouba signed for" if he has an absolute monster year this season.

I won't add 6.5-7 because that is a joke lol

People said Gardiner would get 7+, and its looking like he's getting nowhere close to that.

Barrie isn't defensively responsible enough to get higher than 8. 10 is a joke. You look at the distribution of the poll, and 6.5-7 makes a lot more sense than 10+.

Hopefully a mod can throw that option in there for me! ;)

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sure, but since he is 28 years old and in the prime of his career, we can likely expect more of the same and maybe even more considering we aren't a 1 line team like the Avs.

Then you wait until that actually happens, and make an informed decision based on what actually happens, instead a hypothesizing what could happen. If he's a 60 pt RHD, that solidifies our defense as well, he's getting $9 mil, or close to it, with term.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Are you taking the piss? Why the **** is he taking something that light?

Sure, he's going to take a home town discount just like Nylander, Matthews and Marner will and did :laugh:
Most contending teams aren't likely to have the space to sign him to a massive contract, unless he values money over a chance to win, then there's nothing the Leafs can do there. If I recall correctly, it was reported that Barrie wanted about 8 million per. The Leafs have enough space to get him done for next season, and I think they will as I doubt they would have traded Kadri for a rental but maybe I'm wrong.

Did you really expect Matthews and Nylander to sign 3-5 million dollar contracts because other players did 4 years ago? Times change and the cap goes up, people like you need to understand that. Players now a days are only going to get more money, especially franchise players, this is just the way the future is going. Just because they didn't take a contract that was undervalued , doesn't' mean they were bad deals. Plenty of star players in the league signed 5 year deals this isn't anything new, so I'm not sure why people are still whining about it .

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yes we should wait for a Barrie extension but my guess is he will be around 8 to resign. He put 59 points last year and with the Leafs I do not see that number going down.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
People said Gardiner would get 7+, and its looking like he's getting nowhere close to that.

Barrie isn't defensively responsible enough to get higher than 8. 10 is a joke. You look at the distribution of the poll, and 6.5-7 makes a lot more sense than 10+.

Hopefully a mod can throw that option in there for me! ;)
There is no chance he signs for that though, you are actually probably the only person on this planet who thinks Barrie would sign for that here or in unrestricted free agency. I never expected someone to pick $10+, I only added it because I thought $9-9.5 looked weird as the highest.

Here's a quote from the OP:
How much would you be willing to give Barrie on a 7-8 year deal before you say "Ah screw it, he can leave"?
I mean, you can just say "Ah screw it, he can leave" if you don't wanna give him more than 6.5-7.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
There is no chance he signs for that though, you are actually probably the only person on this planet who thinks Barrie would sign for that here or in unrestricted free agency. I never expected someone to pick $10+, I only added it because I thought $9-9.5 looked weird as the highest.

Here's a quote from the OP:

I mean, you can just say "Ah screw it, he can leave" if you don't wanna give him more than 6.5-7.

And 6.5-7 is my number.... If Barrie won't sign for that amount, you will re-sign Muzzin, Ceci and have Liljegren and Sandin knocking on the doorstep. Plus we have Rielly coming up whom we'll have to pay 10+.

No need to overpay Barrie. If our management staff sign him for 8, I could live with it... but I wouldn't give him a penny more than 7 on a 7-8 year deal. Too much risk.

P.S. 9-9.5 is wayy too high, too.

Reactions: diceman934

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
And 6.5-7 is my number.... If Barrie won't sign for that amount, you will re-sign Muzzin, Ceci and have Liljegren and Sandin knocking on the doorstep. Plus we have Rielly coming up whom we'll have to pay 10+.

No need to overpay Barrie. If our management staff sign him for 8, I could live with it... but I wouldn't give him a penny more than 7 on a 7-8 year deal. Too much risk.

I will add 6.5-7. He's not signing for that though lol

Blair

Oct 15, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Tyson is a pretty good guy and I hope we keep him. I suspect that we do and that Muzzin would be the odd man out if anyone (sorry Babs). 7x7 would be fine with me but so much depends on the upcoming season for Tyson Barrie and of course the Leafs collectively.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

Thank you, that is very kind of you! ;)
If you say 8 is acceptable but you wouldn't sign him for a penny more than $7, why not just pick $7-7.5?!

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->