Salary Cap: How much AAV are you willing to give Tyson Barrie on a 7-8 year extension?

How much AAV are you willing to give Barrie?

• Total voters

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Then they upgraded their centre position at the expense of an expiring D-man they had no intention of re-signing at a UFA price.

You know, something Dubas should have had the stones to do with Gardiner last year instead of letting him walk for nothing...

Kadri was never going to play in the top 6 in Toronto, Kerfoot will do as much as Kadri was doing in the 3 spot and saved some cap space, and have him locked in for an extra year.

Barrie is a massive upgrade on D for this year and potentially many years going forward.

Obviously there isn't much of a market for Gardiner, he still isn't signed. Why would you trade away one of your top 4 defenders going into a playoffs ? (or before the season when the goal was playoffs).

Reactions: Dekes For Days

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Then they upgraded their centre position at the expense of an expiring D-man they had no intention of re-signing at a UFA price.

You know, something Dubas should have had the stones to do with Gardiner last year instead of letting him walk for nothing...
Lol. It's not about having stones. Lou did the same thing by keeping Bozak and JvR and losing them for nothing. Most contending teams don't deliberately weaken themselves right before the playoffs

Busher Jackson

4x 1st Team Allstar
Mar 4, 2010
hyman (2.25) matthews (11.634) nylander (6.96)
johnsson (3.4) tavares (11) marner (10.5)
moore (0.775) kerfoot (3.5) xxxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx

rielly (5) barrie (8)
dermott (3.5) xxxxxx
sandin (0.894) lily (0.863)

anderson (5)
xxxxxx

kessel (1.2)

leafs 4th line now is apx. $2.5 million. Backup goalie is $700,000. If leafs trade kapanen for futures they can potentially slot bracco on the 3rd line at less then a million which would leave around $3 million for a second pairing rd. This is assuming the cap doesnt go up, marner signs for $10.5 and barrie is extended at $8 million. I am not convinced that marner will get $10.5 and i am not convinced it will take $8 million to get barrie. I am also not sure dermott will cost $3.5. they could probably bridge him for less if they had to.

the point is that it will be super tight but not completely impossible.

Of course it is possible as I pointed out. Once you put Dermot in there at $3.5 mil that leaves $3.3 mil for 3 d-men. And $700,000 buys you an AHL back up like Hutchinson. To get a real NHL backup like TB has it will cost $1.2 mil. Last season leafs backups had a sub .500 winning percentage.

SomethingWild77

Sep 18, 2018
Depends a lot on the season he's going to have with the Leafs and if he's going to resign with them. As a leafs fan I wouldn't go higher than 8 personally. If another team needs offence on the blue line I could see them going higher.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lol. It's not about having stones. Lou did the same thing by keeping Bozak and JvR and losing them for nothing. Most contending teams don't deliberately weaken themselves right before the playoffs
Funny how some folks like to play the "should have" game...

Bet we coulda got a mean return for JVR.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

So is it safe to say we upgraded our RHD at the expense of an expiring center we had no intention of re-signing at a UFA price?

Keep talking out of both sides of your mouth.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
... And a full season of a top pairing defenceman when that was our biggest weakness going into a cup chasing season.

No, he didn't just trade Kadri for Kerfoot and loose change. And even if that is potentially all we have after this season, your preemptively complaining about something that needs to satisfy two massive caveats before even being arguably true?

That's just it, preemptive complaining is such a useless thing to do.

We re-sign Barrie and put the savings of Kadri towards it and all of a sudden it's a textbook move of dealing from a position of strength to address a weakness. Almost like Dubas has a plan in place depending on how things unfold :laugh:

Reactions: kb and qqaz

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It's absolutely crazy how much player valuation fluctuates year to year, but if Gardiner can't get much this year, and he's a 52 point d-man (without much PP time!), I don't really see how a 59 point (nearly half of them PP) who plays significantly inferior defense should really be getting much more, if any, so I would say *under* $6.5m.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Kerfoot is a downgrade on Kadri.

Ok, there's also Tyson Barrie.

And I know he may only be here for a year. But we can't sign an entire team of high-end players to long term contracts, because the cap doesn't allow it. The Leafs need to fill their holes while they have a chance to contend, and they're going to keep doing things like this for next few years, because they should.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

And naz isn’t expiring in 3? Kinda weird thing to argue. When the longest contract is on the leafs side

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
If Rielly and Barrie have chemistry and can form a formidable top pairing, you’d be insane to not give him 7-7.5 on a long term deal and shop one of either Marner or Nylander to make it work long term. Why wait on and hope that Sandin or Liljegren to take those steps needed to be a top pairing defender.

If you can get those two as your first pairing locked down and have JT/AM down the middle that’s a pretty solid core imo

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I seem to recall you and a few others vehemently defending Lous decision not to trade JVR
I expect both Sandin and Liljegren to make the team. That leaves $14 mil in cap space for 5 d-men, 2 forwards and a backup goalie. Good backup costs $1.2 mil and $1.5 mil for two NHL/AHL tweeners at forward that leaves $11.3 for 5 d-men. Even if you trade kappy and Barrie at $8 mil that leaves $6.8 mil for four d-men which means they will be all 6-7 guys. Thats two vets, two rookies and two #6 d-men and two AHL/NHL tweeners.

I doubt we will see the Leafs spend more than league minimum from here in out on a backup. There's always going to be an average vet kn the offsesson looking for work

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Honestly, if you can talk yourself into one year of Barrie and still think it’s a good trade, you need to ask yourself about your bias coming into any Dubas move.

Hey, I’ve said since the trade we re-sign him, it’s a good deal. Just assume we do, if he walks I’m not talking myself into that scenario, it stinks.

If Kerfoot puts up similar offensive numbers as Kadri next season would you still say the same thing?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Dubas makes a bunch of sideway moves and people here are impressed
Getting out of Lou's messy contracts was a hell of a lot more than sideways moves.

Rather have Justin Holl as the #1 RD?

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
If Rielly and Barrie have chemistry and can form a formidable top pairing, you’d be insane to not give him 7-7.5 on a long term deal and shop one of either Marner or Nylander to make it work long term. Why wait on and hope that Sandin or Liljegren to take those steps needed to be a top pairing defender.

If you can get those two as your first pairing locked down and have JT/AM down the middle that’s a pretty solid core imo

Shop Marner? Oh dear god, I forgot how insufferable this place can get during the summer.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Shop Marner? Oh dear god, I forgot how insufferable this place can get during the summer.

You can't keep them all and make a legit team. Insufferable, lol, understanding that in a cap league you can't have 4 forward players making 50% of the cap is very different.

Lilj, Barrie, Sandin, Dermott, Rielly, Freddy will all be paid a fair bit. Cap planning for 8 years from now starts today. You need to project it, map it out and make sure when you make a change you have a rough idea how to steer the ship before you rock the boat or beach it. Sure there would be guess work but not doing this is why so many clubs fall flat.

Why do we look good this season? Rentals that cost 1sts. We are converting assets to cheap temp contracts. Good plan until you run out of assets. If Lilj and Sandin are stars off the bat, we get 3 a few more years but, rookie D contender?? Has it worked?

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think it's pretty likely right now that both Barrie and Muzzin walk:

Move into the next season with:
#1: Rielly
#2: ???
#3: Dermott
#4: Sandin/Liljegren
#5: Sandin/Liljegren
#6: UFA or maybe a Hollowell/Lindgren/Duszak surprises

Kapanen or Johnsson + are traded for that #2, and hopefully it's a long-term option.

I have a hard time seeing us come up with the money for a long-term Tyson Barrie contract.

Muzzin is probably more likely on a 3/4-year deal at $5.5-6M per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad