How many MAN UTD players leave after this season? - and, what will happen to United

How many MAN UTD players leave after this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Alright, there's a lot to address here, so I'll just go with the roster and what I'd do, along with what I think will happen:

De Gea: I think he'll get a big pay raise, possibly with a (uncommon in England) release clause so he can get out of it if the project doesn't kick-on. Personally, I'd decipher if he truly wants to be here long-term, and if not, cash out while he's still got a year on his deal. The days of being handcuffed are over. Don't care if he's the best in the world or not.

Dalot: He's staying and I'd keep him.

Darmian: He's gone back to Italy.

Young: United extended him for reasons unbeknownst to me. There's not much you can do. No one's taking that guy.

Shaw: 100% keeping him. Really like him, and he's definitely staying.

Lindelof: Keep for sure, and he's not going anywhere.

Jones: Recently extended. Not much you can do now. He's staying, even if I wanted to move him.

Smalling: see Jones

Bailly: I think it's best for everyone if he's sold. Still young and an attractive asset. He's a sale, for me.

Rojo: I'd 100% sell him if someone wants him. The wages are relatively super high, but perhaps you could get a club to bite if you eat some. Move him the hell on. As for what United will do? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him.

Valencia: I'd let him walk, and I'm pretty sure he will.

Matic: Has a year left on his deal, iirc. For me, I'd look to see what his market is like. I think you could get a club to bite for 20m or something and I'd love to clear those wages. Convincing him to leave is another matter, however. My guess is United offer him an extension sometime next season. In my eyes, he's just a dwindling asset on a team that's not ready to win.

Herrera: he gone

Fred: not much you can do, really. He's a United player next season whether I like it or not. He's recently shown signs of promise at least.

McTominay: obvious keep, and he's staying. Exactly the kind of player United should be filling their rotation/squad with -- not Rojo and Darmian types.

Pogba: If he wants to leave, I wouldn't hold him back. As for what I think will happen... I'm not sure, actually. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

Mata: let him walk. Wouldn't be surprised if Ed extends him with ridiculous wages and creates another unsellable asset, though.

Pereira: I'd consider keeping him, if possible, but I think he'll walk.

Martial: If someone came in with a good offer, I'd consider it. Otherwise, I wouldn't actively attempt to move him. And yeah, I think he'll stay, especially after his recent extension.

Sanchez: LOL

Lingard: Obvious keep, obvious stay.

Lukaku: I'd sell him. Straight up. As for what United does, I think they might actually concur on this one. We'll find out.

Rashford: no brainer

As for signings , I'd profile young and proven/established players a la City, but we'll see what happens. The days of Matic and Sanchez have got to stop.

Guys like, Lafont, Wan-Bissaka, Sancho, Pablo Fornals, Samassekou, Milenkovic, Sander Berge, Joachim Andersen come to mind, but who the hell knows.
I agree with pretty much everything on the selling part. I think we need to bring in Rabiot in the free. He can fill in both as an 8 and a 6 in a pinch. We also need a RW. I go for Sancho or Pepe. For CB I really like the Milenkovic/Andersen calls but I want someone more established. If we are going for them, we need to bring in Toby as well. Ideally we get De Ligt or Varane though but that’s unlikely. At RB, I feel like AWB would be the obvious choice but I’m gonna throw out the name of Sidibe (don’t know likelihood of him moving). I think we could get along with just a singing in the midfield, CB, RB, and RW as long as Pogba and De Gea stay. If Pogba leaves, we bring in Bruno Fernandes and Fekir (or at least one) as replacement. If De Gea leaves, we go for Lafont, Onana, or we go big and go for Oblak.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Earlier in the thread, I only touched upon who'd I'd sell. This would be my plan:

Out:
De Gea
Pogba
Lukaku
Herrera
Valencia
Bailly
Darmian

In:
Oblak
Rabiot
Ndombele
Wan-Bissaka
Varane or Koulibaly
Sancho, Malcolm, or Pepe

Offer Atletico a straight swap of De Gea for Oblak.

Sell Pogba, Lukaku, Bailly to the highest bidders to fund bids for Ndombele, Wan-Bissaka, a CB, and a RW.

Darmian can f*** off wherever he wants. Herrera and Valencia are already leaving on frees. Sign Rabiot on a free to replace Herrera.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
DDG is on higher wages and a headache. He’s also isn’t significantly better than Oblak. Doubt Atleti would want that.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Why would Atletico do that?

DDG is on higher wages and a headache. He’s also isn’t significantly better than Oblak. Doubt Atleti would want that.

De Gea is a top 5 goalkeeper in the world. He looks a bit unsettled and distracted by contract talks. A transfer away from Old Trafford or a contract extension to stay and we'll see his top form again. Oblak is a top 10 goalkeeper and on lower wages. I think the value for a straight across swap is fair :dunno:

This would be the first I've heard of De Gea being a headache. He's been a model citizen up until the last few weeks.

Reactions: Jussi

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
De Gea is a top 5 goalkeeper in the world. He looks a bit unsettled and distracted by contract talks. A transfer away from Old Trafford or a contract extension to stay and we'll see his top form again. Oblak is a top 10 goalkeeper and on lower wages. I think the value for a straight across swap is fair :dunno:

This would be the first I've heard of De Gea being a headache. He's been a model citizen up until the last few weeks.
Oblak is also a top 5 keeper.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

De Gea has had some high profile blunders. At best he's a slight upgrade over Oblak. Low reward for a move that isn't without risk. And even pay more for it? I don't see it.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Oblak is also a top 5 keeper.
Who's your top 5? Depending on who you ask, it's close, but he's just on the outside looking in on the top 5.

In no particular order, I rate De Gea, Alisson, ter Stegen, Handanovic (he gets really underrated), and Neuer (when healthy) over Oblak. Others like Ederson, Lloris, and Leno are up there too. Courtois would be in this grouping too if his form wasn't absolute ass this season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Alright, there's a lot to address here, so I'll just go with the roster and what I'd do, along with what I think will happen:

De Gea: I think he'll get a big pay raise, possibly with a (uncommon in England) release clause so he can get out of it if the project doesn't kick-on. Personally, I'd decipher if he truly wants to be here long-term, and if not, cash out while he's still got a year on his deal. The days of being handcuffed are over. Don't care if he's the best in the world or not.

Dalot: He's staying and I'd keep him.

Darmian: He's gone back to Italy.

Young: United extended him for reasons unbeknownst to me. There's not much you can do. No one's taking that guy.

Shaw: 100% keeping him. Really like him, and he's definitely staying.

Lindelof: Keep for sure, and he's not going anywhere.

Jones: Recently extended. Not much you can do now. He's staying, even if I wanted to move him.

Smalling: see Jones

Bailly: I think it's best for everyone if he's sold. Still young and an attractive asset. He's a sale, for me.

Rojo: I'd 100% sell him if someone wants him. The wages are relatively super high, but perhaps you could get a club to bite if you eat some. Move him the hell on. As for what United will do? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him.

Valencia: I'd let him walk, and I'm pretty sure he will.

Matic: Has a year left on his deal, iirc. For me, I'd look to see what his market is like. I think you could get a club to bite for 20m or something and I'd love to clear those wages. Convincing him to leave is another matter, however. My guess is United offer him an extension sometime next season. In my eyes, he's just a dwindling asset on a team that's not ready to win.

Herrera: he gone

Fred: not much you can do, really. He's a United player next season whether I like it or not. He's recently shown signs of promise at least.

McTominay: obvious keep, and he's staying. Exactly the kind of player United should be filling their rotation/squad with -- not Rojo and Darmian types.

Pogba: If he wants to leave, I wouldn't hold him back. As for what I think will happen... I'm not sure, actually. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

Mata: let him walk. Wouldn't be surprised if Ed extends him with ridiculous wages and creates another unsellable asset, though.

Pereira: I'd consider keeping him, if possible, but I think he'll walk.

Martial: If someone came in with a good offer, I'd consider it. Otherwise, I wouldn't actively attempt to move him. And yeah, I think he'll stay, especially after his recent extension.

Sanchez: LOL

Lingard: Obvious keep, obvious stay.

Lukaku: I'd sell him. Straight up. As for what United does, I think they might actually concur on this one. We'll find out.

Rashford: no brainer

As for signings , I'd profile young and proven/established players a la City, but we'll see what happens. The days of Matic and Sanchez have got to stop.

Guys like, Lafont, Wan-Bissaka, Sancho, Pablo Fornals, Samassekou, Milenkovic, Sander Berge, Joachim Andersen come to mind, but who the hell knows.
I think you accurately pinpointed every player, but I just can't see that many move in one window. I think United keep Pogba, Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, de Gea, Fred, Matic, Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Lindelof, and I think they keep Young, but try to move him towards the bench.

Sanchez has to be gone, but his wages might be too absurd to move. Herrera is definitely also gone. I think Valencia will want more first team action. Bailly is definitely gone.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think Sanchez is effectively going to have to be bought out to be moved. Pay him out on the difference between his new contract and his current United one which will likely amount to something like 200k/week over 3 years.

As far as where he goes, I'm not sure. He seems to proud to go to a lower tier team and I have no idea what big clubs would want him with how poor he's been at United.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Who's your top 5? Depending on who you ask, it's close, but he's just on the outside looking in on the top 5.

In no particular order, I rate De Gea, Alisson, ter Stegen, Handanovic (he gets really underrated), and Neuer (when healthy) over Oblak. Others like Ederson, Lloris, and Leno are up there too. Courtois would be in this grouping too if his form wasn't absolute ass this season.
I got De Gea, ter Stegen, Oblak, Neuer, and Alisson top 5. Ederson shouldn't even be listed along with Leno and Courtois. Courtois maybe past seasons but no way would I put him there this season. Right now I think those 5 are a clear step above everyone else and could be listed in any order depending on form and what you want (for example if your team needs shot stopping you go with De Gea or Oblak, if you need better build up you go with ter Stegen or Alisson). After those 5 there's another tier of 3-5 and then a pretty big drop.

Edit: this isn't related to what we were talking about but I want to say it and don't want to double post. I sit down with Pogba and DDG in the summer and ask what they want. If they are willing to stay and help build this team without asking for huge increases in wages, then great they stay and we build around them. If they aren't willing to stay or ask for huge increases in wages, let them go and replace them. I can guarantee we can get players that fill a similar role in Fekir and maybe Onana, and then still have lots of money left over. Shit I would offer a Pogba/DDG package to RM for like 250-300M and see if they take it. I wouldn't sell either for less than 100M though.

Edit2: Who is Bertrand? Am I missing someone?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Edit2: Who is Bertrand? Am I missing someone?

Bailly's middle name is Bertrand and apparently some of his early (Espanyol days) paper work had that listed because someone screwed up.

Other than that, the only Bertrand with connections to United I recall is Ryan Bertrand who apparently has been a rumored target although I see no reason why.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Bailly's middle name is Bertrand and apparently some of his early (Espanyol days) paper work had that listed because someone screwed up.

Other than that, the only Bertrand with connections to United I recall is Ryan Bertrand who apparently has been a rumored target although I see no reason why.
I mean I knew about Bailly but OP mentioned him as Bailly later in the post. Ryan Bertrand was the first one I thought about but makes no sense why he would be listed :laugh:

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Guardian saying it's unlikely to be Phelan.

Manchester United stars may look to exit if club misses out on top four

If De Gea does leave, then Henderson should be given a chance, having a great year at Sheffield United and before that Shrewsbury in L1. Although the sensible thing would be to loan him back to Sheffield United if they get promoted, not giving him a chance with an opening at GK would likely see him wanting out too.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Guardian saying it's unlikely to be Phelan.

Manchester United stars may look to exit if club misses out on top four

If De Gea does leave, then Henderson should be given a chance, having a great year at Sheffield United and before that Shrewsbury in L1. Although the sensible thing would be to loan him back to Sheffield United if they get promoted, not giving him a chance with an opening at GK would likely see him wanting out too.
I like that idea. I think maybe giving him preseason and see if he is ready if not communicate that he will be given a chance later but they are going with Romero.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They’ll end up shipping out like 2 guys. This is the same bullshit that Woodward has pulled from years.

Any move to make this a club based in 2019 results in his dismissal. He knows that. Back to the Fergie references, old players in roles, etc etc.

They’re in the same position they were in when Fergie left, when Moyes, when LVG left, and now when Mourinho left.

“If the new manager is given the green light to get rid of the dead weight and bring in some of his targets.......”

(Spoiler: he won’t be)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Ederson is nowhere near the top 5 goalies in the world. Oblak is far better than Handanovic, who while is very good isn't a top 5 guy. The current top 5 would be Neuer, MAtS, Oblak, DDG, and probably Alisson.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
There’s not many options for DeGea. Top 3 in Spain are all set. Not internally in England. No one in Germany is going to spend that money. PSG prob won’t spend what flexibility they have on a keeper.

Juve? That’s probably his only hope if he wants to move on.

His head isn’t in it. It’s very clear.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Atleti wouldn't swap De Gea for Oblak nor should they. Take ability and performance out of it and Oblak's got a brand new contract while De Gea's contract will be up next Summer. That's not to mention De Gea's flirting with Madrid. PSG and Juventus are probably the best options for De Gea if he leaves this Summer.

Very curious to see who United sign. I think a lot of players out there will be available, but again CL ball will make a big difference. One player I'm curious to see if they go after is Joao Felix.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I hope Alexis stays at Man U and continues to play with terrible form. Serves him right for going out with Arsenal the way he did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad