How many MAN UTD players leave after this season? - and, what will happen to United

How many MAN UTD players leave after this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Contraction hopefully.
You know, some of that is eerily similar to what I used to wish for with the Penguins back when they were broke and looking like they were moving to Kansas City.

As much as it would be kind of funny for a team I hate to disappear, having rivals is important.

As much as I don't like to say it, having United be good (and not mid table) is good for the EPL.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Back on topic a bit, but I almost think you can't get 6-7 players.

United have to see what they have in some of the guys they have there. See what some of the kids are able to do. Can you get something out of Martial? Do any of their defenders have qualities you can improve on? Can Ole improve some of the players over a summer training camp?

A rebuild should be on the cards, but it's much easier to rebuild if you know you have 3-4 players worth building around. If you're just selling, cleaning house, or jettisoning all the players, it makes the process much harder.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Back on topic a bit, but I almost think you can't get 6-7 players.

United have to see what they have in some of the guys they have there. See what some of the kids are able to do. Can you get something out of Martial? Do any of their defenders have qualities you can improve on? Can Ole improve some of the players over a summer training camp?

A rebuild should be on the cards, but it's much easier to rebuild if you know you have 3-4 players worth building around. If you're just selling, cleaning house, or jettisoning all the players, it makes the process much harder.
Here’s the thing about United. Their youth class is too young to put that much expectation on them.

Right now I have their shell as this:

Martial-Rashford-xxx
Pogba-xxx-xxx
Shaw-Lindelof-xxx-xxx
DDG

At RW, they have Chong who probably could fill in. I do think they need to get someone here though. If they do want Bale and he comes at 50 or less fine, he can rotate with Chong.

At CM, they have Andreas, Fred, and Gomes who could work. They all have another step to take though.

At DM, they have Andreas, McTominay, and Garner who again all need to take a next step.

At CB, they have Tuanzebe who had an excellent season for Aston Villa. I don’t know if he should be counted on to start or if you put Bailly there and rotate Tuanzebe in.

At RB, they have Dalot who needs to take the next step.

So they do have players that could work at every position so they don’t NEED to buy a player at every one of these positions but I think hoping that at least 5 players take the next step is too much. I do think they need to either keep some of their mediocre players (maybe one of Smalling/Jones, Darmian, and Lingard) or make some more solid youth signings and promote players. They can’t be starting the same 11 in all comps. I do think they need to go far in the EL this season. I would be okay with buying a stop gap RB (Alves?), a RW (again Bale? Or go big Thauvin/Sancho/etc), maybe a stop gap DM or go big with Weigl. Then hopefully Fred takes the Lindelof step (big second season step). I think United could be in a good spot next season if some of their young guys take the next step and Fred lives up to his price a little bit better. I know I had reactionary posts in multiple threads and they do need to buy a few players but they don’t need to go out and spend 500M this window. I’m shooting for top 4 next season and winning the EL. That would be a successful season for this United.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, they aren't going to have CL to play for. You could just phone in the Europa and limit some of the matches (it's not even a guarantee they go through... they could get someone decent in qualifiers).

You don't really need a deep squad to improve. Liverpool made it through much of last season with 15-16 players.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
If United wants to add young domestic talent (like they should) I don't think Bissouma would be a bad shout. Can't imagine he'd be overly expensive. 20-23 year olds with a good amount of 1st team experience should be the aim.

RB- Wan-Bissaka
LW- Daniel James
CM- Bissouma

I'm sure there's more. I know he's had injury problems, but I've always been a big fan of Lewis Cook too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure, he has gained experience. Doesn't mean he progressed in fact. He's been starting since age 16. Guy is a phenom. In fact the points made in the article about where he needs to make some strides are the same areas he needed to improve with Toulouse.
So he hasn't progressed on this.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
You know something is terribly wrong when a club like ManU is likes to a player like Daniel James.

On the matter of players coming or going. It won't really matter much. Top 4 isnt realistic in anyway. Ole isnt up to scratch and that 3 year contract will Be another where they will be paying for a coach that no longer works for them. Even as a ex player/fan favorite he will be extremely lucky to survive the whole next season.

Whole club needs a shake down top to bottom. A clear direction, qualified top level football executives. Not a accountant banker. Will the Glazers be willing for such a change is another question entirely.

There is a long road ahead. No world class player on their prime will want to come to United when its such a chaos without even CL football on offer.

Best chance for United future turnaround would be Spurs winning the CL. Poch walking away after that. Ole getting the boot at some point next season (after enough Time has passed for Poch to enjoy his vacation) and then appointing him. Thats scifi though.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Longtime United fan and I think they're 4-6. The key is trying to de Lict and/or Koulibaly. I think de Gea is as good as gone, but they'll find a solid replacement.

Remember, people threw dirt on united when SAF struggled, but he found a way. However, they need to shore up the back. Those old united teams could score, but Bruce and Pallister were great defenders. That team could shut others down when they had to.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Longtime United fan and I think they're 4-6. The key is trying to de Lict and/or Koulibaly. I think de Gea is as good as gone, but they'll find a solid replacement.

Remember, people threw dirt on united when SAF struggled, but he found a way. However, they need to shore up the back. Those old united teams could score, but Bruce and Pallister were great defenders. That team could shut others down when they had to.

Big difference between the arguably the greatest manager of all time getting everything thing sorted out and OGS doing that.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad