How many MAN UTD players leave after this season? - and, what will happen to United

How many MAN UTD players leave after this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
How many and who?.

De Gea? ->
Pogba? ->
Lukaku? ->
Sanchez?->

Martial? ->
Bertrand? ->
Rojo? ->

Young? ->
Valencia? ->

Who else?

If Man Utd miss on the 4th place finish and does not qualify to the UCL and...
if all of the 3 (2 of their best players) : De Gea, Pogba, Lukaku leave, what will happen to Man Utd?

-Sanchez,Young,Valencia,Rojo are pretty much goners already, right?
-Pogba leaving to either Real Madrid or to Juve seems more likely than not,
-De Gea still not have given even a single thought towards extending with the club,
he seems ripe for leaving?, PSG leading the race for his purchase?
-Eric Bailly's role for Man Utd is a mystery, not sure does he want out or not,
Real Madrid seems to be looking towards Manchester for a new Center Back

How Martial looked in today's game.... his face was sooooo depressed and frustrated
not sure how he likes his on/off starting 11 role in the squad.

Man Utd not qualifying to the UCL, star players leaving, what level of players they
could sign/buy at the summer transfer window, who'd want to join to the mess what is
called Manchester United F.C.? ... because if you ask me,their future,.... it-does-not-look-good.

Fire sale?, turmoil?, another manager sacking?, a shock relegation?...
- talking about a relegation, everyone can go look up the cold hard facts, the stats
how many points did De Gea win/save for United few seasons ago, how many key saves
he made -> clean sheets, 1 goal wins, 0-0, 1-1 draws...
when you count the points, you realize that, without De Gea United would of been relegated back then.
- as shocking it sounds, it is the truth

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
They lose 70 players. And next season they are relegated after accruing a total of six points all season.

And Old Trafford burns down and a herd of elephants trample on the ashes.

And then some dogs do their business on the trampled ashes.

And then Martians go back in time to 1968, and distract Alex Stepney so that Eusebio scores the winner in the European Cup final.

Then the Martians pop up in 1999 and make Teddy Sheringham spontaneously combust a millisecond before he can score the equaliser in the European Cup final.

(They don't stop John Terry slipping over and fluffing his penalty in the 2008 final, because even the Martians know John Terry deserves everything he gets, but they zap Ronaldo's winners medal with their invisibility ray just for the kicks).

I don't actually believe any of the above, but I hope it pleases you.

A word of caution, though. Manchester United were one of the clubs that dreamed up the Premier League specifically because it would make it harder for them to sink back into the middle of the pack, and I don't see their investment backfiring any time soon.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
  • Their defense is sheit.
  • They have 9 different nationalities in it's starting 11
  • No leadership
  • Players not fitting in or clicking with each other
  • Three coaches in three years
I think they finish where they should have. They are the worst among the big 6. I don't get the commotion, but if they want to compete for the title again, they should stick with a coach and build a new squad around a handful of players.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Good place for this. I see de Gea and Pogba demanding to leave. They'll get a lot of money from that and should use it to rebuild the squad. I would go a step further and over the course of the next three years get rid of nearly everyone except Rashford.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I went with 4. I think Pogba and De Gea want out, and a few of their other pieces likely go for other reasons.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Wouldn´t think 2 seconds about selling Pogba. Clearly a very good player, but if he can´t even be bothered now when is he supposed to be? He would probably perform better in a better team, but Utd need stars that can lead - Pogba doesn´t seem to be that player. So if he wants to leave then I really don´t see the problem. If he wants to stay and try to take on that leadership role than that would be fine as well.

Where would DDG go? I don´t see who would be able to pay him what he´ll get at Utd? RM should be out. Barcelona are set. Don´t see why PSG would spend money they are not allowed to spend on DDG. City is out of the question. I think he´ll stay because there is no way to go.

Really not a lot to build on. A love that people think Pochettino could just turn that around, but if the Utd players are sick of running for OGS they would have gone on strike under Pochettino.

I hope OGS is ruthless. Ship out anyone that isn´t professional enough. If that means 15 players then so be it. Klopp ended up 7th with Liverpool not that long ago. If you build right things can turn quicker than you think. If you go Canucks and fiddle around for years then you go nowhere.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Liverpool turned things around much because of their new ownership, I'm not sure that there's a way to get rid of the Glazers at the moment.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool turned it around both because of Klopp and because when Rodgers had his spat with Michael Edwards, Edwards didn't go anywhere. Klopp has full trust in him now. Our sporting director is a savage and sold a lot of our lesser players for far more than they were worth. He also sold some players people didn't want to leave.

Signings like Robertson and Salah were chosen by Edwards. Trophies are not just won by the manager, as I already said. If United appoints someone from within the club to make signings, the project is already a failure. Whoever does get that job is going to have to make unpopular decisions, but it seems nobody cares for much of the players United has anyway.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Alright, there's a lot to address here, so I'll just go with the roster and what I'd do, along with what I think will happen:

De Gea: I think he'll get a big pay raise, possibly with a (uncommon in England) release clause so he can get out of it if the project doesn't kick-on. Personally, I'd decipher if he truly wants to be here long-term, and if not, cash out while he's still got a year on his deal. The days of being handcuffed are over. Don't care if he's the best in the world or not.

Dalot: He's staying and I'd keep him.

Darmian: He's gone back to Italy.

Young: United extended him for reasons unbeknownst to me. There's not much you can do. No one's taking that guy.

Shaw: 100% keeping him. Really like him, and he's definitely staying.

Lindelof: Keep for sure, and he's not going anywhere.

Jones: Recently extended. Not much you can do now. He's staying, even if I wanted to move him.

Smalling: see Jones

Bailly: I think it's best for everyone if he's sold. Still young and an attractive asset. He's a sale, for me.

Rojo: I'd 100% sell him if someone wants him. The wages are relatively super high, but perhaps you could get a club to bite if you eat some. Move him the hell on. As for what United will do? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him.

Valencia: I'd let him walk, and I'm pretty sure he will.

Matic: Has a year left on his deal, iirc. For me, I'd look to see what his market is like. I think you could get a club to bite for 20m or something and I'd love to clear those wages. Convincing him to leave is another matter, however. My guess is United offer him an extension sometime next season. In my eyes, he's just a dwindling asset on a team that's not ready to win.

Herrera: he gone

Fred: not much you can do, really. He's a United player next season whether I like it or not. He's recently shown signs of promise at least.

McTominay: obvious keep, and he's staying. Exactly the kind of player United should be filling their rotation/squad with -- not Rojo and Darmian types.

Pogba: If he wants to leave, I wouldn't hold him back. As for what I think will happen... I'm not sure, actually. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

Mata: let him walk. Wouldn't be surprised if Ed extends him with ridiculous wages and creates another unsellable asset, though.

Pereira: I'd consider keeping him, if possible, but I think he'll walk.

Martial: If someone came in with a good offer, I'd consider it. Otherwise, I wouldn't actively attempt to move him. And yeah, I think he'll stay, especially after his recent extension.

Sanchez: LOL

Lingard: Obvious keep, obvious stay.

Lukaku: I'd sell him. Straight up. As for what United does, I think they might actually concur on this one. We'll find out.

Rashford: no brainer

As for signings , I'd profile young and proven/established players a la City, but we'll see what happens. The days of Matic and Sanchez have got to stop.

Guys like, Lafont, Wan-Bissaka, Sancho, Pablo Fornals, Samassekou, Milenkovic, Sander Berge, Joachim Andersen come to mind, but who the hell knows.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
United reminds me of the Kings in some ways. A bunch of bad players on bad contracts that no team would do us any favors to help get rid of our garbage.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Alright, there's a lot to address here, so I'll just go with the roster and what I'd do, along with what I think will happen:

Young: United extended him for reasons unbeknownst to me. There's not much you can do. No one's taking that guy.

Rojo: I'd 100% sell him if someone wants him. The wages are relatively super high, but perhaps you could get a club to bite if you eat some. Move him the hell on. As for what United will do? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him.

Valencia: I'd let him walk, and I'm pretty sure he will.

As for signings , I'd profile young and proven/established players a la City, but we'll see what happens. The days of Matic and Sanchez have got to stop.

Guys like, Lafont, Wan-Bissaka, Sancho, Pablo Fornals, Samassekou, Milenkovic, Sander Berge, Joachim Andersen come to mind, but who the hell knows.

IF the rumors about Paul Mitchell are true and he's prepared to leave his current club, then he'd probably be the right man for the DoF job.

As for the players you listed, Young has been a serviceable rotation player, at his best when he's used limitedly at his current age. When he gets too much playing time, his limits tend to show. Earlier in the season he was coming off the bench and playing a rotation role and hitting crosses right on tam mates heads for a goal ora at least a chance and even scoring goals. Right now...not so much. Valencia degrading far quicker than expected meant Young had no competition down that side.

Rojo aparently wants to stay and like Sanchez, prove to Ole that he's a better player than what we've seen. Would require both of them to stay healthy. Rojo and Jones had a good spell as starting CBs either last season or the previous one, until one or both got hurt.

Valencia is leaving, that's been confirmed.

According to rumors the two players in bold are the ones United are supposedly very interested in.

Last edited:

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
IF the rumors about Paul Mitchell are true and he's prepared to leave his current club, then he'd probably be a the right man for the DoF job.

He'd be the guy I'd want if I owned United. But does Ed want to relinquish control? Does Paul want Ed the money-maker peering over his shoulder all the time? He's got a pretty nice gig with Leipzig.

It'd be great if it happened, but United said they wanted a DoF how many months ago? ...And how many interviews have actually been conducted?

Talk is cheap, and teams are already deep within their transfer strategies at this point. The time to appoint a guy was a couple of months ago.

As for the players you listed, Young has been a serviceable rotation player, at his best when he's used limitedly at his current age

Ashley Young is brutal now, mate. I'm sorry. There's absolutely no reason a club as rich as United should extend a player like that. None whatsoever.

Rojo aparently wants to stay and like Sanchez, prove to Ole that he's a better player than what we've seen.

I don't care what they want to prove. This is about progressing United, not catering to overpaid players with almost no market. And of course they want to stay, no other club is going to pay them nearly as much. Sanchez, in particular, has one of the worst contracts I've ever seen.

According to rumors the two players in bold are the ones United are supposedly very interested in.

Oui, oui. I know. I follow United quite closely, good sir.

Wan-Bissaka could happen, but with no CL , whatever shot United had at Sancho is probably weakened.

Reactions: Gecklund

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They can still attract players without CL. It just will take albatross contracts for top guys or getting players who not everyone wants for a variety of reasons.

I think they could still attract Sancho, CL or no, but it would take a mammoth contract and a bunch of agent funny business to the point to where he might have as much say as the manager when he got there. Kind of like Pogba.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Voted 7.

Herrera and Valencia are confirmed leaving. Darmian, De Gea, Pogba, Lukaku, and Bailly are all going to be sold.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It will obviously be a really important Summer for United. Getting a CL place or not will be a big factor in who they can attract and keep. If they can get that CL place though there are a few big signings they could make that would definitely improve the side. Still I can't see them finishing ahead of either City or Liverpool no matter who get, but that would be still something to build off.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Pogba - Sell to Madrid or PSG/Juventus if Madrid decides to spend big elsewhere (Hazard, Mbappe, ect)
Make a profit on Pogba or the very least break even.

De Gea - Where is he gonna go? The rumors are always Real Madrid. He wants to go back home to Spain and I don’t see Barcelona bidding for him. Best case scenario he resigns and if not AND POGBA goes to PSG/Juve then Madrid sends Courtois & Bale for de gea and 30 million give or take boat loads of more cash I’ll never see in my lifetime.

Sanchez - A lot of United’s top earners lose 25% of weekly wages if they fail to make the CL. If this is the case with Sanchez as well it may make it easier to move him. But where? Nobody in England will touch him. Madrid are already spending big money this summer. Barcelona wouldn’t touch him with a 10 foot pole. PSG? Maybe if Neymar and Mbappe walk? Even then why would PSG or anyone want Sanchez. Seriously I think United might actually be stuck with him unless Alexis agrees a significant drop in wages.

Lukaku - Sell him to Inter Milan or AC Milan and try to get what you paid back. He’s more suited for that league anyway.

Keep at all costs - Martial, Rashford

Keep unless huge unrealistic offer comes in: Dalot, Shaw, Mctominay, pereira, Lingard, Lindelof, Bailly

Sell or release at all costs!! Must go!!
Matic, Fred, Mata, Young, Valencia, Jones, Smalling, Darmian, Herrera, Rojo

Purchase at all costs, pay over the odds with massive contracts if necessary:

Jadon Sancho - Dortmund
Matthijs de Ligt- Ajax
Rodrigo - Ath Madrid
Savic- Lazio

2019-20 opening match (wishful thinking)

GK - Courtios
LB - Shaw
CB - de Ligt
CB - Lindelof / Bailly
RB - Dalot
LW - Martial (VCap)
CM - Rodrigo
CM - Savic
RW - Sancho
FWD - Bale
FWD - Rashford (Captain)

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They lose 70 players. And next season they are relegated after accruing a total of six points all season.

And Old Trafford burns down and a herd of elephants trample on the ashes.

And then some dogs do their business on the trampled ashes.

And then Martians go back in time to 1968, and distract Alex Stepney so that Eusebio scores the winner in the European Cup final.

Then the Martians pop up in 1999 and make Teddy Sheringham spontaneously combust a millisecond before he can score the equaliser in the European Cup final.

(They don't stop John Terry slipping over and fluffing his penalty in the 2008 final, because even the Martians know John Terry deserves everything he gets, but they zap Ronaldo's winners medal with their invisibility ray just for the kicks).

I don't actually believe any of the above, but I hope it pleases you.

A word of caution, though. Manchester United were one of the clubs that dreamed up the Premier League specifically because it would make it harder for them to sink back into the middle of the pack, and I don't see their investment backfiring any time soon.
Was quite fortuitous that the PL came into existence just in time for us becoming arguably the most successful team/era in the history of English football. Ironically we were in many ways just a middle of the pack club in the 26 years between titles and complete underachievers in league play comparable to the Knicks and Leafs in North America: a sleeping giant. The period was so long ago that it is largely forgotten by most people. I am just thanking God The Awful One and his brand of football that reduced us to a bus parking abomination that made my eyes bleed is gone.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Was quite fortuitous that the PL came into existence just in time for us becoming arguably the most successful team/era in the history of English football. Ironically we were in many ways just a middle of the pack club in the 26 years between titles and complete underachievers in league play comparable to the Knicks and Leafs in North America: a sleeping giant. The period was so long ago that it is largely forgotten by most people. I am just thanking God The Awful One and his brand of football that reduced us to a bus parking abomination that made my eyes bleed is gone.

For the second half of the 26-year drought, Manchester United lived up to their billing as one of the so-called 'Big Five'. Two FA Cups in three years, a run to the Cup Winners' Cup semis and five straight top four finishes under Racist Ron Atkinson might seem like small beer now, but between 1981 and 1987 only the Merseyside giants and Tottenham won more silverware.

No doubt Ferguson might have been sacked prior to 1992 at less patient clubs, but in 87-88 he'd led the Red Devils to their best league finish since 1967, and delivered a trophy in 90, 91 and 92. Indeed they should have entered the inaugural Premier League season as defending champions. Only a loss of nerve occasioned by the weight of history (and the odd tactical error that Ferguson himself has confessed) allowed a good but inferior Leeds team to slip past them.

Consequently, I'd suggest that even without the EPL's advent, the Evil Empire still would have been the league's dominant team for the remainder of the 90s. Where I think the new structure helped was around 2002-2006, when Ferguson had to undo the mess caused by his attempt to rebuild the team as a 4-2-3-1 outfit with Scholes as the number 10 and Veron at the heart of midfield. In truth, that was one of the biggest tactical misconceptions a great manager has ever perpetrated - Veron, after all, was one of the world's best midfielders yet he ended up having to be flogged at virtually half price, while Scholes was discreetly punted back to former role. But TV money cushioned the blow, with enough cash being left over to fund the arrival of Rooney.

The timing of the new league's inception was more fortuitous in the sense of how their peers sat in August 1992.

Arsenal had only lost one league game in 1992, but the introduction of the rule banning goalkeepers handling backpasses undermined their entire defensive structure. (Graham was perhaps ahead of his time in figuring his defence needed greater protection from central midfield, but his solution - signing John Jensen - was overly negative, and compounded the misguided decision to sell David Rocastle to Leeds. If Arsenal fans think they have things bad now, they should try watching their club from that era - endless long balls clouted either towards Alan Smith's head or for Ian Wright to chase, backed up by brutalising opponents from set pieces).

Graeme Souness had done his bit to torpedo both Everton and Liverpool, by signing Gary Stevens, Stuart McCall and Trevor Steven from the former while manager of Rangers and by...well, making just about every conceivable mistake with the Reds. And his work wasn't yet complete. The Toffees' other problem was the core of their fine team from 1983 to 1987 was over the crest, as was Howard Kendall, whose departure in 1987 had maybe weakened them at the very moment they needed him most to oversee a rebuild.

As for Spurs, the previous season Gary Lineker had scored 28 of their 58 league goals. Now Lineker had disappeared to Japan, leaving Terry Venables and Alan Sugar (the Mike Ashley of his day) presiding over a messy management structure. Paul Stewart (whose tragic personal issues were at this point unknown) had signed for Liverpool, having converted into a useful central midfielder. They too had suffered during the post-Heysel seasons for players departing in search of European football, and stalwarts like Paul Allen and Gary Mabbutt were aging.

Little wonder that Aston Villa, Norwich and Blackburn would round out in top four in 1992-93. The first two were built to play passing football, which left them better placed to navigate the backpass rule change, and the last had a rejuvenated Kenny Dalglish spending lots of money wisely. Indeed, QPR, whose distant fifth place finish left them London's highest-placed team, were a passing outfit too.

Manchester United in 92-93 were a fine team, but not a remarkable one. Not for the last time, Ferguson was lucky in his enemies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad