How many elite years does Crosby have left

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised to see Crosby pull out several more elite years, but he isn't a given to be among the very top scorers anymore. He's a hard worker and being strong lasts longer than being fast.

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
Think he stays elite as long as he wants too. The guy is a freak when it comes to conditioning and looking after himself. There is some decline due to age but his vision and senses are still tops in the league, generation players find ways to adapt and keep up. One things for sure I wouldn’t bet against him not being one of the top players in the nhl, there isn’t a guy in the league more complete then him right now in all zones.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I don't think that Crosby cares at all about milestones listed above.

He is 100% focused on a 4th SC.

Another cup won't help Crosby's legacy at all. Hitting 500 goals and 1300 points is way more impressive as Crosby will be only the 46th player to score 500 goals and only the 36th player to reach 1300 points. Crosby will finally put on his big boy pants as he'll be a serious name amongst the all time greats. When it comes to goal scoring he'll be in the same ballpark as Joe Mullen, Jean Beliveau and Pierre Turgeon and when it comes to points he'll be in the same ballpark as all time grearts like Mats Sundin, Guy Lafleur and Brendan Shanahan.

You are right Crosby isn't playing another 10 NHL seasons.

I think he might hit 1600 points but 2000 isn't happening and not even 1800 IMO.

Dude 1800 points is the most likely scenario when it comes to Crosby. Many guys have been able to score at least 537 points after turning 33. And with Crosby playing to improve his legacy and the league getting softer and softer as the years go by, there's no reason to think Crosby won't be amongst the guys who have been able to put up 537 points after turning 33...

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Too tough to call. I think considering his work ethic and conditioning he could be a guy who plays til 40.

I think the Elite term is clogging this up. I will say he should be a #1 C until his mid 30s.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Another cup won't help Crosby's legacy at all.

We are going to agree to disagree on this one.

Hitting 500 goals and 1300 points is way more impressive as Crosby will be only the 46th player to score 500 goals and only the 36th player to reach 1300 points.

Like I said I doubt Crosby gives a S**t about stuff like this.

Marcel dionne and Ron Francis have incredible counting stats, yet many players with lesser stats are viewed more favorably all time than them, Pierre Turgeon as well and he isn't even in the HHOF.

Crosby will finally put on his big boy pants as he'll be a serious name amongst the all time greats.

That horse has left the barn quite some time ago.

Heck sometime between the ages 0f 23-25 he was already a lock for the HHOF.

When it comes to goal scoring he'll be in the same ballpark as Joe Mullen, Jean Beliveau and Pierre Turgeon and when it comes to points he'll be in the same ballpark as all time grearts like Mats Sundin, Guy Lafleur and Brendan Shanahan.

Jean aside he has passed all of these guys quite a while ago in terms of all time greatness.

IMO he has passed jean as well.

Dude 1800 points is the most likely scenario when it comes to Crosby. Many guys have been able to score at least 537 points after turning 33. And with Crosby playing to improve his legacy and the league getting softer and softer as the years go by, there's no reason to think Crosby won't be amongst the guys who have been able to put up 537 points after turning 33...

Do you realize how few players have scored more than 537 points after the age of 33?

Gretzky only scored 529 points past the age of 33.

given current context here is how many players have scored more than 537 points in the last 8 years (this would have Crosby playing until he is 40)

NHL Stats

That's right, only 11 players of all ages have scored 537 or more points in the last 8 years.

Extremely unlikely that Crosby can do so.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Left? He has not been elite for years.

I know COVID has made 2020 seem like an entire decade rather than just one year, but I think you're having a difficult time with the definition of "for years". The guy literally scored 100 points and finished 2nd in Hart voting in 2018-19. That alone makes your post silly.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge
Oct 18, 2011
Another cup won't help Crosby's legacy at all. Hitting 500 goals and 1300 points is way more impressive as Crosby will be only the 46th player to score 500 goals and only the 36th player to reach 1300 points. Crosby will finally put on his big boy pants as he'll be a serious name amongst the all time greats. When it comes to goal scoring he'll be in the same ballpark as Joe Mullen, Jean Beliveau and Pierre Turgeon and when it comes to points he'll be in the same ballpark as all time grearts like Mats Sundin, Guy Lafleur and Brendan Shanahan.

This is an incredible post

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Do you realize how few players have scored more than 537 points after the age of 33?

Gretzky only scored 529 points past the age of 33.

given current context here is how many players have scored more than 537 points in the last 8 years (this would have Crosby playing until he is 40)

NHL Stats

That's right, only 11 players of all ages have scored 537 or more points in the last 8 years.

Extremely unlikely that Crosby can do so.
I said after turning 33, I didn't say anything about 8 years. And bringing up Gretzky when it comes to getting old is a bad point as Gretzky was terrible when he got older.

Just look at guys like Gordie Howe, Teemu Selanne, Ron Francis, Mark Messier, Jean Ratelle, Mark Recchi, Johnny Bucyk and others who were able to put up 537 points after turning 33. Crosby to me is a player that has the talent to be in the same ballpark as Mark Recchi, Jean Ratelle, Teemu Selanne, Gordie Howe, Johnny Bucyk, Ron Francis and Mark Messier. Or do you put Crosby in a lower tier yourself?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I said after turning 33, I didn't say anything about 8 years. And bringing up Gretzky when it comes to getting old is a bad point as Gretzky was terrible when he got older.

Just look at guys like Gordie Howe, Teemu Selanne, Ron Francis, Mark Messier, Jean Ratelle, Mark Recchi, Johnny Bucyk and others who were able to put up 537 points after turning 33. Crosby to me is a player that has the talent to be in the same ballpark as Mark Recchi, Jean Ratelle, Teemu Selanne, Gordie Howe, Johnny Bucyk, Ron Francis and Mark Messier. Or do you put Crosby in a lower tier yourself?

I guess we will all have to wait and see if he can catch some of those guys......wait he already has a better career than all of them except Mr Hockey.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013

Some of your posts are just insane that I think you must be a troll

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
He’ll be elite until the day he retire, which mean he’ll probably be 37-38 by that time.

I think he still has the ability to win another Art Ross in a perfect storm of a season, but I doubt he really cares about that to be honest.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’ll be elite until the day he retire, which mean he’ll probably be 37-38 by that time.

I think he still has the ability to win another Art Ross in a perfect storm of a season, but I doubt he really cares about that to be honest.
Sid at this point shouldn't care about regular season stats. 3 Stanley Cups already. He's under contract for 5 more seasons, though he's getting close to the back diving portion of his contract. $9.6 this upcoming season, then $9 million, then 3 years at only $3 mill, all pure salary.

You can see the moves by Pitt is that they are pushing all in for these next 2 seasons as Malkin is 34. That's why #15 OA in 2020 draft isn't as important to them as Kapanen who is 24. Everything is about 1 final shot with Sid and Geno.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I guess we will all have to wait and see if he can catch some of those guys......wait he already has a better career than all of them except Mr Hockey.
No he doesn't. You just hype him up. Crosby still needs to add so he can get the impressive career numbers. And you underrate guys like Messier, Francis and especially Selanne. Messier won way more cups than Crosby and has a impressive trophy collection even without the cup wins. And Francis is the all time assist leader in a world without Wayne Gretzky, that's super impressive! And Selanne was way better than his resume on paper looks. It's a well known fact that Selanne was close to winning 3-4 Art Ross throphies but ended up winning none. He also lost 4 seasons of NHL play because he wasn't driven enough to pursue a NHL career early on. Selanne is also the only player besides Gretzky and Howe who's managed to finish a season top 10 in points 18 years apart. Crosby from here on out needs to build up his career numbers. You can't be hyped up as the 5th best player of all time with only 462 goals, 801 assists and 1263 points. The good news for Crosby is that he's in excellent position to add to his career numbers. The bad news for Crosby is that he's fragile and might not hold up in order to compile enough in the long run.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You know what I would love.
A thread locked to everyone else where only daver and Mulletman can debate Sid's career.
Can the mods make it happen.

Reactions: JLaw1719

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
The real question is: Will Crosby retire in Pittsburgh or leave for a SC contender during his last year or two in the NHL? Maybe the Penguins will become "true" contenders again just before he retires?

IMO, he stays loyal to the Penguins, no matter what.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
You know what I would love.
A thread locked to everyone else where only daver and Mulletman can debate Sid's career.
Can the mods make it happen.

7lWjDiH.png

Mulletman -110

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No he doesn't. You just hype him up. Crosby still needs to add so he can get the impressive career numbers. And you underrate guys like Messier, Francis and especially Selanne. Messier won way more cups than Crosby and has a impressive trophy collection even without the cup wins. And Francis is the all time assist leader in a world without Wayne Gretzky, that's super impressive! And Selanne was way better than his resume on paper looks. It's a well known fact that Selanne was close to winning 3-4 Art Ross throphies but ended up winning none. He also lost 4 seasons of NHL play because he wasn't driven enough to pursue a NHL career early on. Selanne is also the only player besides Gretzky and Howe who's managed to finish a season top 10 in points 18 years apart. Crosby from here on out needs to build up his career numbers. You can't be hyped up as the 5th best player of all time with only 462 goals, 801 assists and 1263 points. The good news for Crosby is that he's in excellent position to add to his career numbers. The bad news for Crosby is that he's fragile and might not hold up in order to compile enough in the long run.

Dude whatever you are having, you need to share cause it sounds killer.

No one seriously is ranking any of those 3 guys over Crosby but please carry on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad