How many elite years does Crosby have left

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Different sport and position, but as a Patriots fan, I watched Brady defy age expectations at his position year in and year out, despite readying myself for the inevitable downfall back in like 2013. He and the team won another 3 SB's and went to 4 in that time frame. He was still a good QB during last season and as well as this season with the Bucs.

Maybe Crosby makes up for some of those games he missed earlier in his career by playing at a level higher than some, including myself expect, into his 40s. He's been much more healthy than anyone could have expected since the start of the 2013-2014 season.
The thing about Brady is that he doesn't play on the other side of the ball, so he saves his body from being tackled and trying to stop others. Saved him a ton of time in his career if you ask me. Playing both sides takes a huge toll on your body.

And he's a QB, so he's not relied on athleticism, running, jumping, etc., he's asked of more instinctual abilities such awareness, vision, when to throw, when not to, and arm strength.

I see where you're coming from but it's hard to compare

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Crosby is clearly not as good as he was in his early/mid 20's when he was a threat to score 120 points. Nowadays he's "merely" a 80-90 point player. He lost his speed, his explosiveness, and his dangles. He's transformed his game to be a net-front presence with passing skills.
I think he can be a point-per-game player until he's 35.

I do think he'll have an Yzerman-esque end to his career where he's learn to be a defensive 3rd line center and call it quits once he can't keep up anymore.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
The thing about Brady is that he doesn't play on the other side of the ball, so he saves his body from being tackled and trying to stop others. Saved him a ton of time in his career if you ask me. Playing both sides takes a huge toll on your body.

And he's a QB, so he's not relied on athleticism, running, jumping, etc., he's asked of more instinctual abilities such awareness, vision, when to throw, when not to, and arm strength.

I see where you're coming from but it's hard to compare

I hear you, that's why I mentioned position. QB's usually last longer naturally. Just look at the shelf life of RB/HB. Totally different 100%, but overall point is that the unexpected can occur in sports.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I hear you, that's why I mentioned position. QB's usually last longer naturally. Just look at the shelf life of RB/HB. Totally different 100%, but overall point is that the unexpected can occur in sports.
I don't really watch football (hockey and basketball are my top-2 sports) so I can't really speak to the bolded. I agree that father time can be pushed to its' limits in various sports. Look at LeBron James -- perfect example. We still have Ovechkin winning Rockets at age 35! Crosby is still above a PPG player who can still have a huge impact all around and has improved his defensive game while maintaining his offense. Obviously Tom Brady. Ronaldo and Messi in futbol.

So certain athletes are exceptions and can continue prolonged dominance. I believe Crosby still has it for a few more years in the much more taxing and physical sport of hockey. Just speaks to his work ethic and greatness.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crosby is clearly not as good as he was in his early/mid 20's when he was a threat to score 120 points. Nowadays he's "merely" a 80-90 point player. He lost his speed, his explosiveness, and his dangles. He's transformed his game to be a net-front presence with passing skills.
I think he can be a point-per-game player until he's 35.

I do think he'll have an Yzerman-esque end to his career where he's learn to be a defensive 3rd line center and call it quits once he can't keep up anymore.

He finished with 100 points in 79 games just over a year ago. I wouldn't rule out another 100 point season with the way scoring is now if he can stay healthy.

Reactions: Belhammer16

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If he's healthy, he'll be a top 20 forward until he's 41. I just don't think he'll be able to stay healthy and will call it quits at the end of his deal, probably playing less than 60 those last 2-3 years.

This guy was already so smart and economical and he's only gotten more so over time. People talk about the year he got concussed and was on a torrid point pace. But the last two years where they won the cup, he played some of the greatest hockey I've ever seen. No wasted gestures. Samurai shit.

Reactions: sanscosm

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
I think he'll have one or two seasons where his body of work is top 10 in the league. He could still challenge for a MVP in one year, but that's unlikely.

He'll struggle with injuries as he gets older and likely not play 70+ games all that often. Per game he'll still be a #1 center for another 5-6 years. Some people will still argue that he's the best player in the world when he's 38 based on 10 game sample sizes.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not to mention he "paced" for 94 points just this past season, despite playing through and then coming back from some sort of sports hernia injury.

Exactly. He is not quite the offensive force he once was, but I think that has more do to with him toning his game down and focusing more on the defensive side and preserving himself. He has lost some speed but his skating and hands are still top notch as well as his playmaking and overall goal scoring ability.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Can't compare Brady to Crosby.

Brady doesn't play defense. He plays only one side of the ball. He doesn't need to worry about getting stiff armed by some tight end. Or having a running back run him over.

Crosby's primary job is to get assists and goals. But he's also expected to backcheck. Block shots. Etc.

I think one or two years left as a top ten player.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Depends what you mean by elite. Depending on injuries, he could probably still be a top 10ish player for another 2 or 3 years assuming he can fully recover over the offseason. Somewhere in the mid 30s tends to be the start of the fall-off for hall of fame type forwards. I could see him still being a top 15/top 20 center until close to 40 if he wanted to keep playing though.

Pretty much this and I don't see any more top 10 point finishes in his career.

The part in bold will help solidify his legacy though IMO.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Wild fans are hoping for a big drop next season lol.

You already won the lottery this year with Rossi dropping to 9th and your next 2 picks could very well be part of your future core IMO.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There is almost no case where he retires with over 2,000 points.

Here are his point finishes relative to NHL history of 'x' aged seasons:

30 year old 27th
31 year old 11th
32 year old 19th (points/gp)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I believe Crosby will definitely age great, but here are projections if he finishes every single one of his next seasons as the most, 3rd most, 5th most, or 10th most points for each 'x' aged season from 33 onwards

Best 'x' aged 3rd best 5th best 10th best
Current 1,263 1,263 1,263 1,263
33 126 103 96 90
34 102 96 94 87
35 116 99 90 82
36 94 90 83 79
37 100 91 82 70
38 82 76 72 63
39 82 78 76 65
40 103 80 62 42
Total after 40 year old season 2,068 1,976 1,918 1,841
41 71 66 43 32
42 52 47 43 17
43 66 11 6 -
2,257 2,100 2,010 1,890
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This assumes he stay healthy and plays more or less max games every year going forward (most likely not happening). There's just no reasonable expectation to justify 2,000 points.

I agree with your conclusion but you simply could have said that the second best in points all time is 1921 so 2000 isn't going to happen.

Reactions: filinski77

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well I did make it clear that it was the best case scenario, were Crosby would play well into his 40s relatively healthy with NHL maintaining it's high scoring environment. Another thing helping Crosby is if he wants to finish high on the all time points list. Crosby might want to pass Jagr and his 1921 points for sencond place in points and Francis and his 1249 assists for 2nd place in assists. If Crosby can pass Jagr's 1921 points early in the season and have a relative good season, he might go for one last season to break 2000 points just so he can make history.

This upcomming season will show how hungry Crosby is when it comes to milestones. He's 38 goals away from hitting 500 career goals. Crosby has only hit 38 goals one time in the last 10 seasons. If Crosby can score 38 goals this season it shows that he can elevate his game when it comes to hunting milestones. If Crosby reaching 500 career goals this season shows that he has the hunger needed for those big milestones and his chance of hitting 2000 career points becomes a lot more likely.

I don't think that Crosby cares at all about milestones listed above.

He is 100% focused on a 4th SC.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dude you only need 1591 points for 10th place. That's like Crosby having only 30 point seasons for the next 10 years. No way that's going to happen...

You are right Crosby isn't playing another 10 NHL seasons.

I think he might hit 1600 points but 2000 isn't happening and not even 1800 IMO.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Like someone said...lots of mileage on the body.

But who knows. Elite? I think of McDavid, Mac, Kuch, Drai, Bread, Pasta...he's an all-time great with an amazing resume...but resumes don't put you in that group.

JMHO.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Like someone said...lots of mileage on the body.

But who knows. Elite? I think of McDavid, Mac, Kuch, Drai, Bread, Pasta...he's an all-time great with an amazing resume...but resumes don't put you in that group.

JMHO.
Crosby’s last 5 seasons:

47 points in 41 games
100 points
89 points
89 points
85 points

but yeah, he isn’t elite :huh:

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Listen, I mean no disrespect but if you think he's in that top tier group of guys...yeah, no.

Disagree.

He wasn't going to be elite forever. It happens. CIrcle of life. It will be ok.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
not going to argue what ''elite'' is, but if he plays as a well surrounded 2nd line center with top PP time he can stay relevant probably longer than most people think.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Listen, I mean no disrespect but if you think he's in that top tier group of guys...yeah, no.

Disagree.

He wasn't going to be elite forever. It happens. CIrcle of life. It will be ok.
Lmao it doesn’t actually seem like you’re basing this on anything. I’m a Rangers fan, I see plenty of Crosby. He’s absolutely a top tier player still, there’s no argument against it.

sure, guys like McDavid, Mackinnon, and Kuch are slightly better players. They’re the three best forwards in the league. But I’m taking Crosby over those other guys, including Panarin, even if Panarin was a better player last year.

Like seriously, 100 points just one season ago. If that isn’t “elite” to you your definition of elite is wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad