How many 50 goal scorers this season?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
wasn't there a bunch of people on pace for it at this point last season too? and then not even one hit it

maybe like 1-2

honestly looking at the current leaderboards I think only Ovechkin and possibly Laine have a realistic chance at it,I just can't see guys like Pastrnak or Skinner hitting 50 goals over the full season even if they're on pace for it right now

Reactions: Mestaruus

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017
With a quarter of the season already done, we have 11 players on pace to score 50 goals this season:

Pastrnak
Skinner
Ovechkin
Point
Laine
Forsberg
Atkinson
Landeskog
Tavares
MacKinnon
Pettersson

These three are on pace for 49 goals:

Pavelski
Draisaitl
McDavid

How many 50 goal scorers will we see this season?
Atkinson will fly under the radar and finish with 48, just shy, while placing 4th overall in goals.

SeanConn

Apr 25, 2018
New Cork, New Brunswick, Canada
I think we're going to see at least 5-6 players hit 50, which if I remember correctly, will be the first time for this to happen since 2005/2006.

I'm predicting this:

Alex Ovechkin -62
Patrik Laine -62
Nathan Mackinnon -56
Jeff Skinner -53
David Pastrnak -50
Connor McDavid -50

Here's hoping this is even a little close to what happens... the NHL is far more interesting when there's more goals being scored!

Reactions: Mestaruus

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I think we're going to see at least 5-6 players hit 50, which if I remember correctly, will be the first time for this to happen since 2005/2006.

I'm predicting this:

Alex Ovechkin -62
Patrik Laine -62
Nathan Mackinnon -56
Jeff Skinner -53
David Pastrnak -50
Connor McDavid -50

Here's hoping this is even a little close to what happens... the NHL is far more interesting when there's more goals being scored!

No way ovi or laine hit 60.

They just too streaky

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Can't see Ovie getting to 60 again but he always turns it up late in the season to get to the 50 mark.
He's had hattricks on the final game to get to 50.

50 does matter to Ovie

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Ovi isn't streaky, infact he's maybe the most consistent goal scorer of all time

Agreed. I've several times tried to point out same about Laine's career too. When Ovi isn't streaky generally, and not over the comparable time period when Laine has been playing in NHL, it is simply impossible Laine being streaky but Ovi not, considering we have to fit same amount of goals to less games played. Yes, goals come often as a groups and clusters, but that itself isn't reason to call something streaky or inconsistent, if equally "slumps" tend to be relatively short. I give that Ovi's goal distribution over career games have been on average very consistent, and that Laine has this far slightly higher tendency to build longer streaks and slumps, but does either's overall goal scoring distribution justify calling them streaky?

Ovi is probably least streaky active goal scorer currently, and his real or imaginary "streakiness" sets the par we compare other players' "streakiness".

What exactly constitutes some players being "streaky", I'd want to know.

Reactions: Plural

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Agreed. I've several times tried to point out same about Laine's career too. When Ovi isn't streaky generally, and not over the comparable time period when Laine has been playing in NHL, it is simply impossible Laine being streaky but Ovi not, considering we have to fit same amount of goals to less games played. Yes, goals come often as a groups and clusters, but that itself isn't reason to call something streaky or inconsistent, if equally "slumps" tend to be relatively short. I give that Ovi's goal distribution over career games have been on average very consistent, and that Laine has this far slightly higher tendency to build longer streaks and slumps, but does either's overall goal scoring distribution justify calling them streaky?

Ovi is probably least streaky active goal scorer currently, and his real or imaginary "streakiness" sets the par we compare other players' "streakiness".

What exactly constitutes some players being "streaky", I'd want to know.
Padding your stats scoring 11 goals in 3 games vs bad teams...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
With a quarter of the season already done, we have 11 players on pace to score 50 goals this season:

Pastrnak
Skinner
Ovechkin
Point
Laine
Forsberg
Atkinson
Landeskog
Tavares
MacKinnon
Pettersson

These three are on pace for 49 goals:

Pavelski
Draisaitl
McDavid

How many 50 goal scorers will we see this season?
Pastrnak
Ovechkin
Laine

Have the best chance.

Matthews would have a chance but he missed a good chunk already.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
Watched enough hockey to never doubt the great 8. Other than that, obviously Laine and Pasta. Matthews woulda shoulda coulda gotten there but it is what it is.

EDIT: Wanted to add that if McJesus didn't care about elevating the dead weight that is his team and just concentrated on scoring goals himself, imo he'd win the rocket every year.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
King Ovi will be dethroned by the prince Laine this season. Thats my prediction on it.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
wasn't there a bunch of people on pace for it at this point last season too? and then not even one hit it

maybe like 1-2

honestly looking at the current leaderboards I think only Ovechkin and possibly Laine have a realistic chance at it,I just can't see guys like Pastrnak or Skinner hitting 50 goals over the full season even if they're on pace for it right now

I don't think there were as many as we are seeing this season in relation to last season at this point.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The lack of Skinner mentions is laughable in this thread.
The guy is tearing it up, game after game after game after game.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The lack of Skinner mentions is laughable in this thread.
The guy is tearing it up, game after game after game after game.

he's a 26 year old in his 9th NHL season that has never hit 40 goals let alone 50 and is currently shooting at double his career shooting percentage

he's not hitting 50 it's just not happening,and I say this as someone that was high on him even prior to the season starting and had him pegged as a top 10 goal scorer this year with ~40 goals

Reactions: BallardEra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad