How many 50 goal scorers this season?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
People will slow down. Last year no one scored 50. Ovechkin came close with 49.

I think Ovechkin, Laine, Pastrnak, and MacKinnon would be most likely to score over 50. I think if McDavid pushes to score himself, he can score over 50.

But of those five, a few probably come up short. I'd say 2-3 of them hit 50 this year.

Reactions: blankall

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Laine while scary with these hot
Streaks which are ridiculous he also has the cold streaks. Like every scorer but long ones.

So that’s why I’m
Still taking Ovechkin for the rocket.

He's now shooting around his career shooting % 5v5 after those 4 5v5 goals, so if anything those 4 goals caught him up to his usual pace 5v5.

The PP goals are a result of the PP just being that good. Maybe if Wheeler goes down.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I would have put Laine as a top probable b4 his 5G outburst. Unless he goes on a long cold spell, he has a very good chance at 50+.
Ovi and a few others do too. Anyone 30+ besides Ovi with a realistic shot at 50?

Btw what's w/Skinner? His biggest season was 37 in 2016-17 and he dropped to 24 last season.
Did he have bionic surgery in the off season? :eek:

Reactions: AvsGuy

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Skinner is outrageous right now and almost a lock for 40.

You know who else I think is gonna pop 40, Mike Hoffman, he is in store for an unreal year

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
A lot more than in the past 5 years, that is for sure. Scoring has been way up.

I will say Laine, Pastrnak, Skinner, Ovechkin, and MacKinnon.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
A lot of those players from OP's list will miss some games due to injuries, thus loosing their shot at 50.

I'll be boring and say Ovi and Laine will break 50 and this time Laine will beat him. Of course there's some recency bias here but if Laine stays healthy he seems like he could do even 60 this season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
People will slow down. Last year no one scored 50. Ovechkin came close with 49.

I think Ovechkin, Laine, Pastrnak, and MacKinnon would be most likely to score over 50. I think if McDavid pushes to score himself, he can score over 50.

But of those five, a few probably come up short. I'd say 2-3 of them hit 50 this year.

Pretty much this, I only expect maybe 2 guys hitting 50 but I'd like to be surprised.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I would have put Laine as a top probable b4 his 5G outburst. Unless he goes on a long cold spell, he has a very good chance at 50+.
Ovi and a few others do too. Anyone 30+ besides Ovi with a realistic shot at 50?

Btw what's w/Skinner? His biggest season was 37 in 2016-17 and he dropped to 24 last season.

Skinner has never played with an elite center like Eichel. Eichel is the bionic part of the equation.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He's now shooting around his career shooting % 5v5 after those 4 5v5 goals, so if anything those 4 goals caught him up to his usual pace 5v5.

The PP goals are a result of the PP just being that good. Maybe if Wheeler goes down.
I still think his shooting rate isn't entirely sustainable for the rest season. Yes it includes the PP but at 21.1% I think he'll come down. One aspect of Laine's game I've been hard on is his shot totals in previous years. He's doing a much better job at that as he's averaging 4 shots per game. As long as he keeps that up I'm sure he'll be in the running for the Rocket. Would be cool to see the changing of the guard come into full effect and Laine winning the Rocket over Ovechkin.

Just to add a bit, there hasn't been a Rocket winner or runner up with a sh% of 20% or over since 2002-2003 when Hejduk won it with 50 goals at 20.3%. Stamkos was close when he scored 60 goals at 19.8% in 2011-12.
W.Karlsson was also close last year with a sh% of 23.4 coming in 3rd.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
I understand all of the discussion around '18-'19 SH% for lots of these guys, but does anyone know if the overall league's SH% has significantly changed this year, for all players? Mostly what I'm getting at is that the goalie equipment has changed again, which might indicate a significantly higher SH% overall, and explain a bit of the elevated SH% numbers so far - it'd also make it less straightforward to compare to historical numbers, since we'd expect an increase.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think 4: Ovie, Laine, Rantanen and Pastrnak.

Rantanen is more of a passer first type of guy though. I don't see it. Rantanen 35-40 is the absolute ceiling for him this season IMO. Future seasons might be different though.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

He had Center replacement therapy

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Pasta's disappeared after Bergeron got injured..hmmm

He hasn't really disappeared, he's fed Marchand for lots of great looks that haven't been converted and has hit a few posts/been robbed a few times. Was bound to happen, he's still shooting the puck often (17 shots in the past 5 games), they just aren't going in right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad