How likely is this scenario involving Tavares and Nylander? Does it make sense?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What part of Crosby being on a deal that's now cap circumvention and Malkin only making 9.5M a year is hard for the two of you to understand?

It's like the salary cap is some nebulous thing around here that magically stops existing if you just pretend hard enough or use the term "we will work it out later"

I like how we become a dynasty with Tavares as he's leaving his prime but with Nylander entering his prime it's a maybe
Not hard to understand it guess when you look at how many times Tavares has lead his team to the promised land

Kane and Toews both at 10.5 and Hawks are carrying a nasty Seabrooke contract so JT could be made to fit under the cap if push came to shove. If not, you pass. Simple. However it is a viable option and should be considered. Similarly they could sign Doughty and trade Morgan or Willie or Kadri or anybody not named Matthews.

I don't buy that JT is declining. Kadri and JVR are of similar age and are coming off their best season.

P.S. Food for thought. If McDavid were a UFA today do you think Leafs could fit him under the cap with Matthews?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
most people aren't saying bring in Tavares to replace Nylander. Most people are saying trade nylander for a young stud defenceman after bringing in Tavares. There's a huge difference.
Well that's what I'm saying anyways. But understand something. I am fine either way. You can keep the young 3 and try and draft and develop young defencemen or the other alternative. Bring in Tavares and trade Nylander for a young stud defenceman. It's win win either way.

If Nylander is the level people are saying here, we should be able to get a Seth Jones easily. Or better.

If that's the case, you have
Matthews
Tavares...Marner
Kadri

Rielly...No. 1 D return on Nylander

It depends on salary structure but I can't say yet because I haven't seen anyone signed long term. Besides Kadri, Rielly and Zaitsev.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Nylander is the level people are saying here, we should be able to get a Seth Jones easily. Or better.

If that's the case, you have
Matthews
Tavares...Marner
Kadri

Rielly...No. 1 D return on Nylander

It depends on salary structure but I can't say yet because I haven't seen anyone signed long term. Besides Kadri, Rielly and Zaitsev.

Some Leaf fans are ready to build a statue for Willie according to Ron Wilson :)

This is a great debate between many passionate Leaf fans. I trust that Leaf management will make the right decision if an when the time comes.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Some Leaf fans are ready to build a statue for Willie according to Ron Wilson :)

This is a great debate between many passionate Leaf fans. I trust that Leaf management will make the right decision if an when the time comes.

Exactly what I've been saying.
My plan, HF boards line combo threads, salary structures are not the Leafs plans.

Just my own thoughts here but if you have a chance to sign Tavares UFA, I do it.
I'd rather sign him and worry about who to move to fill a bigger hole and cap space.
I'd also rather get him than a rival like Montreal.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I don't buy that JT is declining. Kadri and JVR are of similar age and are coming off their best season.

we picked up phaneuf at 24 and he had already peaked.

Tavares' career in 2yr paces:

Yr1-2: 62pts (18:37)
Yr3-4: 81pts (20:39)
Yr5-6: 88pts (20:55)
Yr7-8: 72pts (20:12)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've already proposed this but it falls on deaf ears.
Yes JT is a star but he is not at a position of need for us.

keep willy, sign doughty.

I touched on this in another thread...

Off-season fumbling (in the future)

Carrick
Marleau to Arizona for a 5th

Grundstrom (ELC, 1 year left) - Matthews (10.5M per) - Marner (6.75M per)
Hyman (2.25M) - Kadri (4.5M) - Brown (2.1M, 1 year left)
Johnsson - 1.5M ball park) - Nylander (6.75M) - Kapanen (2.5M)
Rychel (950k) - Goat (1M) - Martin (2.5M)
Stajan (900k) - Wingels (750k)

Rielly (5M) - Doughty (9M)
Dermott (ELC -1 yr left) - Zaitsev (4.5M)
Nielsen (ELC - 1 yr left) - Liljegren (1 yr left most likely on ELC, maybe 2)
Borgman (950k)

Andersen
Hutchinson (1.3M)

Assumed cap went to 79M, cap space of 389k exists.

Concerns are obviously some expiring contracts and if Doughty would even take 9M

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Really depends on what Willy is asking, having a Matthews/JT 1-2 punch down the middle of the ice is Crosby/Malkin level.. If willy is asking for 8m a year I would consider trading him for a d-man his age and sign JT (assuming he doesn't get 11m on the open market.)

Im also down on keeping Willy and trying to throw the bank at Doughty if he hits free agency.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

P.S. Food for thought. If McDavid were a UFA today do you think Leafs could fit him under the cap with Matthews?

You don't buy JT's play will decline over the course of his next contract ? He'll be starting it at 28 and in his last year he'll be 34 . Pretty much every player outside of the odd guy declines in that age period .

Tavares isn't and has never been anywhere near the player CD is .

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You don't buy JT's play will decline over the course of his next contract ? He'll be starting it at 28 and in his last year he'll be 34 . Pretty much every player outside of the odd guy declines in that age period .

Tavares isn't and has never been anywhere near the player CD is .

My point regarding CMcD is that the cap is not an issue.

Every UFA will decline over a period of 7 or years. It is is the cost of doing business.

With your thinking they wouldn't consider a Doughty or a Trouba either. So they are going to heavily rely on developing their prospects and signing UFAs like a Marleau or a Thornton (10 years past their primes according to some posters) to short term deals ?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Throwing money at Doughty or karlsson and keeping nylander makes waaaay more sense than trading nylander and signing Tavares. D men peak later so trading for one nylanders age will be trading for an unknown and signing a for sure thing whereas keeping Willy and signing one of those 2 is having two known qualities

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Really depends on what Willy is asking, having a Matthews/JT 1-2 punch down the middle of the ice is Crosby/Malkin level.. If willy is asking for 8m a year I would consider trading him for a d-man his age and sign JT (assuming he doesn't get 11m on the open market.)

Im also down on keeping Willy and trying to throw the bank at Doughty if he hits free agency.

NHL.com is conducting a current player rankings by position.
#NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Centers
NHL Network reveals best of current crop
NHL.com @NHL August 20th, 2017

1. Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers

2. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins

3. Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins

4. Auston Matthews, Toronto Maple Leafs

5. Nicklas Backstrom, Washington Capitals

6. John Tavares, New York Islanders

Continued ..https://www.nhl.com/news/top-20-centers-nhl-top-players/c-290707570
Pens have #2 & #3 and multiple Stanley Cups, and Leafs could have #4 & #6 best centres if they added JT to their mix down the middle.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Throwing money at Doughty or karlsson and keeping nylander makes waaaay more sense than trading nylander and signing Tavares. D men peak later so trading for one nylanders age will be trading for an unknown and signing a for sure thing whereas keeping Willy and signing one of those 2 is having two known qualities

Signing Doughty or Karlsson may be a more viable (but similar) option but it might mean that you may have to move Reilly and/or anybody not name Matthews.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Pens have #2 & #3 and multiple Stanley Cups, and Leafs could have #4 & #6 best centres if they added JT to their mix down the middle.

Obviously NHL Network is out to lunch if they think that JT is #6 :sarcasm:

Personally I rank JT over Backstrom (who disappears in game #7s).

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

If only he were the JT of three years ago. There is a very real chance Willie will be outscoring Tavares in another year so yes, they may have two top ten centers.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If only he were the JT of three years ago. There is a very real chance Willie will be outscoring Tavares in another year so yes, they may have two top ten centers.

If only Marleau were the Marleau of 10 years ago. You don't get these players unless you draft them. They come with miles on them when you acquire them as UFAs :)

There is also a chance Willie never makes it as a C.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Keep your young home grown talent.

Matthews
Nylander... Marner
Kadri

Rielly... Liljegren
Gardiner... Zaitsev
Dermott... X

There is NO need to trade a player like Nylander for anything at the moment (especially another C), other than a bonafide #1 RHD. Even then, you gotta think hard about it.

Nylander will probably be outscoring JT this year or next. He is also much younger and has more potential IMO from what he has shown so far. No reason at all to trade him for a guy like Tavares. For those using the reasoning that we are contending now... well we can still be contenders with Nylander instead of Tavares. In fact, I would prefer to contend with a younger core and adding veterans through free agency.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Matthews
Nylander... Marner
Kadri

Rielly... Liljegren
Gardiner... Zaitsev
Dermott... X

There is NO need to trade a player like Nylander for anything at the moment (especially another C), other than a bonafide #1 RHD. Even then, you gotta think hard about it.

Nylander will probably be outscoring JT this year or next. He is also much younger and has more potential IMO from what he has shown so far. No reason at all to trade him for a guy like Tavares. For those using the reasoning that we are contending now... well we can still be contenders with Nylander instead of Tavares. In fact, I would prefer to contend with a younger core and adding veterans through free agency.

That is a very viable option but it means you have to wait for your prospects to "arrive". How long have we been waiting for Dermott and he is no guarantee to make the team ?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Matthews
Nylander... Marner
Kadri

Rielly... Liljegren
Gardiner... Zaitsev
Dermott... X

Nobody is saying trade Willie for JT. It is sign JT and trade Willie for a top 2 dman.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd hope they are all over a Nylander for Doughty swap for this season. That I'm sure everyone could get on board with.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I've already proposed this but it falls on deaf ears.
Yes JT is a star but he is not at a position of need for us.

Prepare for next years why we don't need to sign Doughty threads.
Too expensive.
Too old.
Declining.
Already won Cups, no motivation.
Gardiner is better.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

If this was Texas Hold'em poker, you'd be bluffing with that hand. :wg:

Nylander is neither a centre now, nor guaranteed to ever reach Tavares level as one who is consider among the best in the NHL.

You need the turn and river to both hit to have a winning poker hand on that bet. :)

JT is a proven #1C already, & Willie IF he switches positions successfully might become a #3C sheltered behind #1 Matthews and #2 Kadri. With JT and Auston Leafs would essentially have a #1A and #1B centre top 2 lines guaranteed without more cards needing to fall the right way.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nobody is saying trade Willie for JT. It is sign JT and trade Willie for a top 2 dman.

That's the part being missed.
Apparently, we can't trade Nylander for a Jones type return.

You have to be open to many options moving forward.
Keeping Willy and building what we are is an option. Most likely we stay with that option.
However what happens in the future with Tavares must be considered. Every GM should consider it.
Then the following year, Doughty,OEL and others might go UFA. Again, options to consider.
It's a 5 year plan that changes everyday. 99.9% chance we stick to the plan. The reason it changes everyday is because of what the above might be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad