2. Crosby
3. Malkin
4. Bergeron
5. Kopitar
6. Tavares/Barkov
7. Matthews/Stamkos

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
He is probably one of the hardest working captain out there and take his games very seriously, also a very good teammates and friend. He has incredible body strength and handles the puck extremely well and definitely not selfish when it comes to play. However he does not yet have the elite shot from outside the parameters and his release need to be faster to reach 40 + goals per season.

He however is not without some weakness - shoot out, defensive zone coverage when fore-checked and sometimes those blank passes I do not know why he makes. He is very decent on the draw but there are centers in this league with better averages. He tried very hard on PK but I do not think he has the speed nor puck blocking skill for that role but can fill in as needed. He does get frustrated when being blanket checked.

I do believe his greatest assets is his intangible and that is valuable when you coupled with skills and competitiveness. I do think his confidence can go to another level and that will help him to reach his full potentials.
Overrated. Leafs are going to be disappointed

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think he's in the Matthews/Barkov tier. Probably would rank Barkov as first right now but Matthews will soon enough take the first spot.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
agree with everything except for Bailey. Dude was a highly talented high 1st round draft pick. he was just due for a breakout season.

8 years and his career high was 41pts. he rides shotgun to JT when okposo bolts and gets 56 and 71....
I think he drops AT least 10-15pts this year, if not more

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The idea have having two Matthews' makes me so happy lol

Yeah, I'm sure every single fanbase would be thrilled. Two great players. One of them smack middle in his prime and the other one still developing towards his. Will be fun to see what they can do in Toronto.

And you guys also have Marner (and Nylander) too.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Overrated backstabber that skates like a slug and will leave Toronto if Juventus offers him a bigger contract (his childhood dream).

He will maybe have 1-2 ok years in Toronto and then be Clarkson tier.

By the end of it, Matthews, Mitch and Willie will be so damaged from his sociopathic ways, they will quit Hockey and Toronto will be back at square one in a few years.

But having Matthews as a top ten player was without any Leafs bias, right?

This is a good point and keep in mind the guy who posted it is one of the most unbiased people on this site, so it makes it even better.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Overrated backstabber that skates like a slug and will leave Toronto if Juventus offers him a bigger contract (his childhood dream).

He will maybe have 1-2 ok years in Toronto and then be Clarkson tier.

By the end of it, Matthews, Mitch and Willie will be so damaged from his sociopathic ways, they will quit Hockey and Toronto will be back at square one in a few years.

This is a good point and keep in mind the guy who posted it is one of the most unbiased people on this site, so it makes it even better.

I know the second part is sarcasm and I appreciate that

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Just to show, I believed this before he signed with Toronto and I had him for a lock with the Sharks.

If you're expecting Tavares to be elite defensively you're going to be disappointed. He's average and isn't a liability...but is FAR from elite. Offensively he's obviously elite.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Tavares is around 6-7 best Centers in the game.

Ehhh. Thinking about it.. he’s close to my top 5 centers. I’d give him a tie at 5th.
Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Barkov, Bergeron, Matthews, Mackinnon, Scheifele, McDavid are all definitely better.

I have him in the next tier with Stamkos, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Barzal, Seguin and Eichel.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Remember folks...up until July 1st, Tavares was "too good" to sign in T.O. now he's overrated.

Eerily reminds me of how Babcock suddenly became overrated when he joined the Leafs.

Interesting HF mental gymnastics at play. I'm loving every second of it.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Top 10 center who could be top 5 in his best years, just like Matthews.

When it comes to all positions, top 20 player, with top 10 potential in best years.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Tavares is in a great position. As he declines, he'll still be one of the best 2Cs, insulated by Matthews drawing the tough assignments.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
How many players can you name to pot 40 so young?

I can’t name that, but I can certainly name at least ten centers who are better than Matthews, let alone players.

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Backstrom
Bergeron
Stamkos
Kopitar
Getzlaf
Scheifele
Tavares
MacKinnon
Barkov
Giroux
Kuznetsov

There could be some arguments for a couple (say Getzlaf or Kuznetsov) but I feel comfortable saying he’s not a top ten player in the NHL right now.

Reactions: MikeyMike01
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad