How Good Is Tavares Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He may hit the free agent market this summer. Is a top 10 player? A top 10 centre?

He hasn't cracked the top 15 in scoring since 2015. This past season he finished second in scoring on his team. He finished in the top 10 in Selke voting in 2017, but some believe he is not good at all defensively.

Where would you rank him among Cs and players and how much would you pay him?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
He's a franchise center that is elite both offensively and defensively.

Over the last 3 years, he's a top 5 center in the NHL.

Reactions: Steven and 99664987

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He’s so under appreciated around the league.

I suggest everyone read this. The guy is the perfect captain and professional. Sets the tone for the entire team and franchise.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Look at what some of his linemates did with him compared to what they've done after leaving the Islanders. True franchise center that has a positive effect in every zone on the ice and from every indication is pure class off it. Whoever lands him in FA will have boosted their franchise in a big big way. Including if it's the NYI.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He’s so under appreciated around the league.

I suggest everyone read this. The guy is the perfect captain and professional. Sets the tone for the entire team and franchise.

If he was such a great captain, he would have re-signed by now instead of keeping the Isles in this awkward purgatory stage. Everything is on hold until he makes a decision, and everything has been on hold since last year.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
If Tavares signs in Toronto he will be overrated according to fans of other teams on HFBoards.

If Tavares re-signs with the Islanders or any other team but Toronto, he's ranked where he should be among other centre's in the NHL.

I saw quite a few posts by Leafs fans who think he should sign in Toronto and play on the second line...

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
If Tavares signs in Toronto he will be overrated according to fans of other teams on HFBoards.

If Tavares re-signs with the Islanders or any other team but Toronto, he's ranked where he should be among other centre's in the NHL.

* steps away from keyboard *

"There, I contributed. This thread wouldn't be as good if I hadn't dropped my 'witty' persecution complex projection".

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

And there's the preemptive "HF hates the Leafs" post.

In regards to Tavares, he's probably in the 15-20 range league wide. I don't know why one poster thinks he's elite defensively, though. Most Islanders fans would describe him as solid at best.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And there's the preemptive "HF hates the Leafs" post.

In regards to Tavares, he's probably in the 15-20 range league wide. I don't know why one poster thinks he's elite defensively, though. Most Islanders fans would describe him as solid at best.
You know what I said was true, so no reason to deny it.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If he was such a great captain, he would have re-signed by now instead of keeping the Isles in this awkward purgatory stage. Everything is on hold until he makes a decision, and everything has been on hold since last year.

You could also argue he’s being a great captain and him not re-signing is putting the pressure on the owners to make drastic changes within the organization like bringing in Lou Lamoriello and changing from a Mickey Mouse show to headed towards a respected franchise that wants to compete and win.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
You could also argue he’s being a great captain and him not re-signing is putting the pressure on the owners to make drastic changes within the organization like bringing in Lou Lamoriello and changing from a Mickey Mouse show to headed towards a respected franchise that wants to compete and win.

He's definitely under appreciated. I've been meaning to ask, is that you in the avatar? Actress?

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
This is the only reason I can think of why he hasn't re-signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad