How Good Is Tavares Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
He's a great player but I don't think he's anywhere near elite defensively like some are saying

Reactions: Pens x

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
He’s ok, but doesn’t have the leadership skills and intangibles of other greats like Toews or ovechkin

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You could also argue he’s being a great captain and him not re-signing is putting the pressure on the owners to make drastic changes within the organization like bringing in Lou Lamoriello and changing from a Mickey Mouse show to headed towards a respected franchise that wants to compete and win.
Why did it take him 10 years to force the team to make drastic changes??

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Why did it take him 10 years to force the team to make drastic changes??

Because he’s coming off of a 6 year deal and now he can finally out the pressure on? He’s also not the type to go directly to ownership and demand certain moves be made and to be honest not many star players do that.

I could be wrong. Maybe he wants to leave the islanders. Maybe not. But he is a good leader and any franchise would be damn lucky to have him as the face of the franchise.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
He’s probably the sixth best center in the Metro Division right now. He seems so inconsistent the past couple of years. He should be top 5 in the league but it seems like he’s worn down from having so many tough seasons with the Islanders. As a team, their effort seems to just disappear for stretches. He deserves a change and would probably thrive on a winner.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There might be nobody in the NHL that elevates the performance and production of his line mates more than Tavares.

- PA Parenteau scored 67 points with Tavares.
- Matt Moulson scored 69 points with Tavares.
- Kyle Okposo had 69 points with Tavares.

None of these 3 players had played 30 NHL games before they joined the NYI. None of them scored more than 45 points in a season after they left the Islanders. Moulson and Parenteau played their last NHL games before the age of 35 and at age 30 right now, I'm not expecting Okposo to buck that trend.

Now, Anders Lee and Josh Bailey are having some serious success with Tavares. Anders Lee just scored 40 goals. Josh Bailey just had 70 points. You've got a bunch of guys who were not NHLers before they played with Tavares, and all of a sudden, they start playing with big Johnny T, and they're all producing like above average first line forwards? And as soon as they leave Tavares, none of them can score 50 points once?

Tavares is an elite franchise superstar Stanley Cup #1C; no questions asked.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s a top 5 C in the game. Great offensively, good defensively and has shown to be clutch in the playoffs. Also dramatically improves his linemates.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It goes the other way aswell.

HFLeafs before Lou is gone "He is amazing"

HFLeafs after Lou is gone "Average at best"
Actually what you described is what people said about Lou when the Leafs hired him. Except he was referred to as being too old for being a GM, what the hell were the Leafs thinking and how he screwed up the Devils.

Once it was official that he joined the Islanders other fans said what a great move they made, he will bring them respectability and etc. Plus no Leafs fans expecting Lou to remain as a Senior Advisor and wished him nothing but success.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I’m considering voting him for 8th best player in the polls, like 8-10th best, he does so much for that team year after year

Feb 24, 2017
If Tavares signs in Toronto he will be overrated according to fans of other teams on HFBoards.

If Tavares re-signs with the Islanders or any other team but Toronto, he's ranked where he should be among other centre's in the NHL.
You think you’re so smart and hip as a bip with this answer

Yet you went with “centre’s”

I bet “the sedin’s” just retired too

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
If I would build a team to a best-on-best tournament, which centres would I take before him righ now? McDavid, Crosby & Malkin. Those guys are the big three right now. After them it's hard to say, so many guys are in the same tier as of today. MacKinnon, Tavares, Kopitar, Stamkos, Bergeron. Can't really decide who's the best of them. Top-10 C's list is completed with Getzlaf and Matthews, while guys like Eichel, Barkov and Giroux are pushing fot a top-10 spot.

So I'd say right now he's a top-5'ish centre in this league. If he puts up, say 85 points next year, he stays that way. If he were to put up 60-70 points, I'd imagine it would be hard to consider him as a top-10 centre. Lots of moving pieces in the puzzle. Matthews, Barkov, Eichel, MacKinnon and other young guns could be better than him by the end of the next season, if not already. But it's hard to say, we'll see what happens. But right now, I'd say he's top-5 for sure.

Which D-men would I take before him? That's easy. Three names. Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman. I thought about this for a while and asked myself, "which defender would I get in a 1-for-1 trade if I offered Tavares, for which player I'd have to add a pick or a player, and which trade would be bad for me?". For Doughty, Karlsson and Hedman, I'd have to give Tavares+. Because they are better and more important players. Rest of the defenders in this league are less important for their teams success than Tavares would be, if I had to choose between them.

As for the goalies, Vasilevski might be better than Tavares is right now. He's the only goalie I'd rank higher than Tavares in my list of the top players right now.

Wingers is a tricky one. Guys like Ovechkin, Kane, etc etc are all worth a lot and excellent players. I'd say there are like 3-5 better wingers than Tavares right now.

So I'd say he's a a top-15 player in today's NHL. Elite centre, a franchise player. He'll get paid the €11M he's seeking for, and it's a fair deal. He might slip outside the top-20 a year or two from now, but that's because of the extraordinary amount of talent that has entered the league in the past two or so years. Guys like Hughes, Dahlin and Lafreniere arriving in the Big Show in the next couple of years and huge talents like Laine, Boeser, Provorov developing even better, it's not going to be easy for him to even keep the top-30 status five years from now. But today, right now, he's top-15 and a great piece for a team chasing the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: WILDLIFEGUY

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's a great player but I don't think he's anywhere near elite defensively like some are saying
I don't think he's elite defensively either. He's good at it but not elite. He's going to give you around 80 points as a good two-way center. Those guys are hard to come by. Easily one of the best free agents in the last decade, assuming he even makes it to July 1, which I don't think he does.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
There might be nobody in the NHL that elevates the performance and production of his line mates more than Tavares.

- PA Parenteau scored 67 points with Tavares.
- Matt Moulson scored 69 points with Tavares.
- Kyle Okposo had 69 points with Tavares.

None of these 3 players had played 30 NHL games before they joined the NYI. None of them scored more than 45 points in a season after they left the Islanders. Moulson and Parenteau played their last NHL games before the age of 35 and at age 30 right now, I'm not expecting Okposo to buck that trend.

Now, Anders Lee and Josh Bailey are having some serious success with Tavares. Anders Lee just scored 40 goals. Josh Bailey just had 70 points. You've got a bunch of guys who were not NHLers before they played with Tavares, and all of a sudden, they start playing with big Johnny T, and they're all producing like above average first line forwards? And as soon as they leave Tavares, none of them can score 50 points once?

Tavares is an elite franchise superstar Stanley Cup #1C; no questions asked.

agree with everything except for Bailey. Dude was a highly talented high 1st round draft pick. he was just due for a breakout season.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Put him with elite wingers and he might give McDavid a run for his money

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
agree with everything except for Bailey. Dude was a highly talented high 1st round draft pick. he was just due for a breakout season.

Yes, Bailey was picked in the first round, but without JT, he is a 45 point player. All Isles fans know this, which is why some of us are on the fence about him being on the first line, possibly taking up a spot for a better player. The good thing about Bails is he a decent 2-way centre too, so he may not be a point machine, but the guy is versatile and is valuable even when not playing with JT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad