How Good Is Tavares Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Hopefully Dubas shows all these posts to Matthews so he signs for 6 million lol

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I can’t name that, but I can certainly name at least ten centers who are better than Matthews, let alone players.

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Backstrom
Bergeron
Stamkos
Kopitar
Getzlaf
Scheifele
Tavares
MacKinnon
Barkov
Giroux
Kuznetsov

There could be some arguments for a couple (say Getzlaf or Kuznetsov) but I feel comfortable saying he’s not a top ten player in the NHL right now.

Yeesh that's a very badly made list! Although I have come to expect this sort of quality from you Tad so it's not a huge surprise.

Reactions: Schooner and Kelly

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
2eczb3.jpg

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
The crazy thing about Bergeron is he outplays elite players year after year when he plays against them. See the playoffs he absolutely demolished Matthews.

You are quite right. The easy argument to make against Bergeron is to cite his point totals. When you take a micro approach - particularly in high pressure games - you can see his impact (and sometimes dominance) on the superstar players of the opposing team and therefore on the outcome of the game. Yes he plays with two fantastic linemates, but this didn't materialize upon formation of the line.

However, this year in the playoffs, you can make the case that Chara and McAvoy had a greater influence on shutting Matthews down than the Bergeron line (Babcock didn't match the Matthews line against the Bergeron line and Matthews was still largely ineffective).

Last edited:
Reactions: Boud

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
There's 4 that are absolutely better than him. After that it gets murky. I would say he's around the 10 spot. Up or down 1 or 2 spots.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I can’t name that, but I can certainly name at least ten centers who are better than Matthews, let alone players.

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Backstrom
Bergeron
Stamkos
Kopitar
Getzlaf
Scheifele
Tavares
MacKinnon
Barkov
Giroux
Kuznetsov

There could be some arguments for a couple (say Getzlaf or Kuznetsov) but I feel comfortable saying he’s not a top ten player in the NHL right now.
This guy named Seguin is better than a few guys mentioned in your list.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Remember folks...up until July 1st, Tavares was "too good" to sign in T.O. now he's overrated.

Eerily reminds me of how Babcock suddenly became overrated when he joined the Leafs.

Interesting HF mental gymnastics at play. I'm loving every second of it.
And people say Leaf fans are nuts when they say HF is biased. LOL. People underrate Leaf talent so much.
Also, Leafs are the #1 pick on Hf to regress next season. Yes, regress with Tavares as an addition.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Since he's now a Leaf...him and Matthews are the best players in the NHL.

Right? right?
Oh yes because only Leaf fans are biased. Non-Leaf fans don't change their opinions. LOL.
Read this thread. The compliments died the second he joined the Leafs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
6 months ago while in long island, the poll on HFboards had him pegged at #4 overall...

He's a Leaf now so clearly fringe top 15...
And yet despite all that evidence we get people claiming there's no bias.
Tavares will make the Leafs regress. They are HFs #1 choice to regress next season.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He’s tier 2 with a whole bunch of other guys not named McDavid or Crosby. Commonly PPG but an occasional threat for a hart or art ross in a career year.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Hard to ignore the fact that he looks and acts like a nerd. He's top 10 when it comes to looking like a dork for sure.

As for his playing ability, who cares? Why are we so obsessed with hockey on this forum? Can't we talk about something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad