How Good Is Tavares Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He's a franchise center that is elite both offensively and defensively.

Over the last 3 years, he's a top 5 center in the NHL.
Top 10 center, top 30 player in the league imo.
He is 20th in points per game the last 3 seasons. 11th among centers.
16th in total points the last 3 seasons, 7th among centers.
I would rank him in the Getzlaf, Backstrom,Seguin,Stamkos, Bergeron, Giroux,Barkov, Matthews,Kopitar, Kuznetsov etc category behind the big 3(Sid,Malkin and McJesus)

Reactions: A1LeafNation

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Put him with elite wingers and he might give McDavid a run for his money

He doesn't have it that bad. Lee scored 40 goals and Bailey had 71 points. Also, the Islanders played an attacking style and Barzal was able to put up 80+ points on the same team as a rookie.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He doesn't have it that bad. Lee scored 40 goals and Bailey had 71 points. Also, the Islanders played an attacking style and Barzal was able to put up 80+ points on the same team as a rookie.

Remove JT and see what they get. That's what I am trying to say. JT makes them better...it's not reciprocol - I can tell you right now..Bailey is at best a 50 point player without JT. He's more of a 45 point player without JT.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I remember when people thought he was good as Giroux, even after Giroux has been one of the top scorers for a decade...lol

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he was such a great captain, he would have re-signed by now instead of keeping the Isles in this awkward purgatory stage. Everything is on hold until he makes a decision, and everything has been on hold since last year.
??
You mean he isn't allowed to choose where he works? And he can't have doubts about a management that even the owners don't believe in, considering that they fired them?

Being loyal, and being blindly loyal(i.e. Hoffman), are two different things.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'd say he is very very good. Top tier C. Been a huge fan since his Genny days, and think he has another gear if on the right team. (Not that NYI isn't, but a team like Stl or nsh could put him up a level from where he is)

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
He would be a game changer for ANY franchise. I have seen him live over 50 times and am not an NYI fan. He is a strong 1C on all but 2 or 3 teams. He has been carrying that Mickey Mouse franchise for years. I would lose a lot of respect for him if he stays there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Put him with elite wingers and he might give McDavid a run for his money

Come on now. There's a clear difference in talent level between the two to even suggest such a thing.

That's like me saying put Crosby with two elite wingers and he might break Gretzky's records.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
He’s so under appreciated around the league.

I suggest everyone read this. The guy is the perfect captain and professional. Sets the tone for the entire team and franchise.

And that has taken them where?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'd say he is very very good. Top tier C. Been a huge fan since his Genny days, and think he has another gear if on the right team. (Not that NYI isn't, but a team like Stl or nsh could put him up a level from where he is)
Do top tier players really need their teams to elevate them and not vice versa?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
This isn't football or basketball.
One player can't single-handedly win you the cup.
There are plenty of top tier players, who need the right mix of teammates...
Ovechkin or Crosby, circa 2005-06, didn't need teams to elevate them. McDavid this season. Kovalchuk in Atlanta. Karlsson in Ottawa. There are many other examples of top tier players that didn't need their teams to raise their level of play.

People should accept that Tavares is a < 40 goal, < 90 point player. He's in the Nicklas Backstrom tier. Excellent player, but a step below the elite. A second or third tier player.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Ovechkin or Crosby, circa 2005-06, didn't need teams to elevate them. McDavid this season. Kovalchuk in Atlanta. Karlsson in Ottawa. There are many other examples of top tier players that didn't need their teams to raise their level of play.

People should accept that Tavares is a < 40 goal, < 90 point player. He's in the Nicklas Backstrom tier. Excellent player, but a step below the elite. A second or third tier player.
Ok we were talking about different things. Was under the impression that you were saying an Elite player should and would pull a team by himself. When it seems you are talking about strictly individual stats. However, back to my original point... I think Tavares has another gear, if with the right linemates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad