How good can Sean Day become?

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
day has the potential to be a first pair defensemen, someone mentioned if hockeys future still hd a site he would be an 8.0D

i think that is the perfect way to describe him....if he puts it together he will be an excellent hockey player....even if hes skjei his rookie year and thats what he gives us i would take that in a heartbeat from a third rounder

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
So he's big, skates like hell, but his conditioning isn't Great, and he's suspect defensively? Why does he sound like Bufyglien on an ELC?

Buff is mean and physical. Day isn't.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gordie mentioned Day along with Pionk and Bereglazov as guys he thought could potentially make the club out of camp. It was in the prospect thread. Tells you how much the Rangers think of him.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Gordie mentioned Day along with Pionk and Bereglazov as guys he thought could potentially make the club out of camp. It was in the prospect thread. Tells you how much the Rangers think of him.
Saying nothing about Zborvskiy just shows how xenophobic Gordie actually is

Reactions: All Might

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Didn't mention Graves either who was one of few good players on Hartford last season either, guess that's xenophobia aswell :help:
axJmn.gif

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Maybe like Brady Skjei of last season is about his ceiling.

I think we gotta separate the ES hype, and the current ceiling, floor. He's not going to be the second reincarnation of Bobby Orr. That type of game isn't in his locker. He lacks absolute elite defensive capability, even if he reaches his highest defensive ceiling. And while he's a good passer and shooter, I find it hard to believe he's going to be HOF level at those attributes. His hockey IQ is also questionable, at best.

So I think we should do some separating here. The previous ceiling people talked about was when he was 14 or 15, and had years to develop. Now? He's just any other good prospect with some potential.

I feel like people can't accept this, and want to cling onto Day being Bobby Orr 2.0. But surely he could be a good, maybe very good NHL'er, and his floor is probably like a John Moore. He's still a player with a high ceiling, but its probably not as high as it was 3 years ago.

Much of what I have read has this kid making the NHL and being a high potent preformer. I agree with you that much of this hype was years ago. I am not ready to write him off as a bust yet. It won't surprise me if his career doesn't see the light of day in the NHL.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I'm out of my mind then. I'll take my chances with Day. He's a stud.
If he's a success in your opinion at del zotto's level then great. I expect much greater things from Sean.

You are out of your mind if you think that's the "worst case". If he's Del Zotto, that's a success at his draft position.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
what BF% would impress the brass?

15% body fat means you have a bit of a gut. It's not terrible if you're an accountant, but an athlete is supposed to be no worse than 14% body fat and probably closer to 10%. To have a 6-pack, you need 8-9% body fat. For a flat stomach, 11-12%.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
First of all, that 15% body fat thing is garbage until there's a legit source to say otherwise. Secondly, Sean Day can absolutely ****ing fly on skates, so it's not like his weight is holding him back. His skating is just completely ridiculous, and it'll get him to the NHL. His issues always had to do with defensive IQ, which luckily Rocky Thompson helped him a lot with in Windsor. There's no rush to him, just let him develop properly.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I dont think the BF matters too much. Day is a rare talent. The fact that he's proven to take over shifts is a good sign. His first year in Hartford will give us a clearer picture, and even then, he still has time to develop.

Only concern is that he's always surrounded by talent. I'd like to see how he handles an expanded role, as in a first-pairing guy on a poor or mediocre AHL squad.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
10% body fat, I'd say that he just finished the memorial cup and probably hasn't done much. If he comes into camp in september at 15% he might get sent to Hartford ASAP.

hockey players arent body builders. body fat is necessary to being an effective athlete in this sport.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
what do you guys think of Sean Day now. Will he make the Rangers? or is he a bust

( I'm in a sim league, trying to gauge his value)

Still have no idea what hes going to be.

He has definitely taken strides in the right direction since being drafted but it'll really be hard to get a read on him until he starts playing some pro games.

Reactions: haveandare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad